You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Brisbane -> Auckland -> Los Angeles -> Auckland -> Brisbane (aka 16 hour flights)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #21
Under pressure.

The longest time I've flown is only 8 hours from Amsterdam to NYC. And that's long enough for me, actually. I hate it.

--Erwin
Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 AM   #22
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, my longest flight was Helsinki-New York-Orlando 12 years ago.

It was a pain to fly that long, I hate sitting in airplanes for hours and hours.

And I got exhausted in the JFK airport, walking from one side to the other side of the airport took like damn 2 hours! There were just too many people there...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #23

I'm not sure what to do while I'm on the plane. Maybe I'll actually read something. (I'm not much of a reader though. )
Old 02-07-2004, 12:24 AM   #24
Friendly Server Admin

You could bring some cards along...

And yeah, I'd suggest a good book (or books). If you haven't read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, that's a great one
Old 02-07-2004, 12:55 AM   #25

I was hoping that Timeline would be one of the inflight movies because I haven't seen it but if I do read it will most likely be along the lines of the Timeline book.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #26
Joop Sloop

Longest flight I had in an airliner was from amsterdam to london gatwick. It is also my only trip in an airliner as to date. So my experiences with airlines is rather small...

I did however flew an hour or so in the Chech republic. Just a round trip around the beautifll countryside. it was in an very old plane, there where some holes in the fuselage where the calbes went out to the control surfaces and you could look tru them straight outside that was my first flight.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:30 PM   #27

I decided to see Timeline last night... It was pretty good (it was kinda flawed but not the extent that it deserved all the stupid reviews the movie got. ) Some of the Time Travel aspects of the movie made no sense but time travel often never makes much sense... Pretty awesome movie. 3.5/5. It's your standard popcorn movie... I think they might have dumbed down the book but who cares.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #28

Well I'm all packed and pretty much ready to go in about 20 hours. I also discovered that Monday will be President's Day... does that mean everything will be closed? My sisters gone to the store and I've asked her to find either Millennium Rising/Judgement Day, Dante's Equation, or The Da Vinci Code. (Even though like I said I'm not much of a reader. )

Thanks everyone who answered my various questions and etc. It's definately appreciated.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #29
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Well I'm all packed and pretty much ready to go in about 20 hours. I also discovered that Monday will be President's Day... does that mean everything will be closed? My sisters gone to the store and I've asked her to find either Millennium Rising/Judgement Day, Dante's Equation, or The Da Vinci Code. (Even though like I said I'm not much of a reader. )

Thanks everyone who answered my various questions and etc. It's definately appreciated.
Monday is a holiday for many people here, but essentials (like supermarkets, gas stations, etc.) are usually open, if only for limited hours
Old 02-14-2004, 08:03 PM   #30

Ah, that's pretty much like Australian public holidays then. Thanks.

(None of those books were at the store... that's screwed up! )
Old 02-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #31
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Ah, that's pretty much like Australian public holidays then. Thanks.

(None of those books were at the store... that's screwed up! )
Get Good Omens by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman if you haven't read it before. I also suggest "Last Chance to See" by Douglas Adams (it's non-fiction, and you might find it in the ecology section of a bookstore).
Old 02-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #32

Too late... if I get any book it'll have to be at the Airport bookstore. I'm off now... I'll be back in two weeks.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #33

I've been to California a few times, that's a 12 hours flight.... which is rather painfully boring when your headphones don't work, I can assure you.
Damn planes, with their damn nice expensive seats and their damn crappy common people's seats, with no room for the legs.
I hate to fly. Travelling by train rocks 8-) .
Old 02-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #34
Chicken with a bite

Third attempt... my browser apparently doesn't like this forum...

I have flown from Amsterdam to Auckland vv twice.
First time was a few years ago with China Airlines. Amsterdam - Bangkok - Taipei - Sydney - Auckland. We had 10 hours or so in Taipei so we spent the night in a hotel. Inflight entertainment nothing special. Remember seeing the most awful movie ever (something about cheerleaders, forgot exact title). Trip took 36 hours in all, but because we had slept we had no jetlag to speak of. The trip back was with Singapore Airlines as China Airlines had stopped servicing Auckland. This plane had individual screens in the chairs. Unfortunately, the girl in front of me leaned back so far that "my" screen was literally in my lap. She did not understand English and the stewardesses were not able to convince her to be a bit more lenient towards her fellowpassengers either. Only during meals she sat upright. I was able to look at her screen over her head but she only watched silly romantic stuff... Fortunately this was only one leg and I brought books I could read (above my head, because the chair was still on my lap) so my arms got quite tired...

Second trip was with Air New Zealand Amsterdam - London - Los Angeles - Auckland vv. This was recently so I saw Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny English, Charlies Angels and Tombraider. Not the best-of-the best, but they killed a few hours.
For the stopovers I brought my GBA SP with Broken Sword and a few other games (and books).

By the way, Hi everyone. I was a member at the old forum, but for some reason never got around to register again. Someone might remember me (probably not). Am female, married, love adventure games and RPGs, Sphynx cats, rock/blues/jazz/metal and dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:01 PM   #35

I'm back. It kicked ass!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #36
Friendly Server Admin

Cool... so how about some details or photos?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:54 AM   #37

I might get around to it. University starts this week though so it'll probably take up a little bit of my time. It was definately awesome though, Disneyland Resort was the highlight. The only complaint was that it rained a little bit. You can't blame that on Disney though.

Edit: Curt: The U.S. Big Mac is much better then the Australian Big Mac... they pretty much taste the same but the Big Mac in the U.S. actually resembles the picture on the sign.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #38
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
I might get around to it. University starts this week though so it'll probably take up a little bit of my time. It was definately awesome though, Disneyland Resort was the highlight. The only complaint was that it rained a little bit. You can't blame that on Disney though.

Edit: Curt: The U.S. Big Mac is much better then the Australian Big Mac... they pretty much taste the same but the Big Mac in the U.S. actually resembles the picture on the sign.
Ech... you actually ate at McDonald's? Even by fast food standards, they're one of the worst chains.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #39

Nah, Fast food is awesome.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Nah, Fast food is awesome.
The best fast food chain I've eaten at here in S. California is a place called In-N-Out Burger. Man their food is gooood. And fresh!