Google Docs and Spreadsheets - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Google Docs and Spreadsheets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Google Docs and Spreadsheets

Anyone tried them out? Can be found here

Definitely not as rich as Microsoft Word and Excel but hey, they're free and all web based.

Firefox rules
Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting spreadsheets or Docs up on the web. For schoolwork I guess it would be okay but most of the little bit I do in spreadsheet I do not want up on a server.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I haven't checked the spreadsheet, but with the word processor you can save the files on your own hard drive if you like. I'd assume the spreadsheets work the same way.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I think it's an interesting idea. I can see how you'd like to have a backup on your own computer (as it apparently offers) but just like it's nice to have access to your e-mails wherever and whenever it would be just as nice to have access to your docs and spreadsheets the same way.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Um.. you do. As I said, it's an option to save on your hard drive. Or you can save on their servers.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of putting spreadsheets or Docs up on the web. For schoolwork I guess it would be okay but most of the little bit I do in spreadsheet I do not want up on a server.
For personal data neither would I, but at work we share a lot of documents. Having the apps and docs shared publically could be a big boon for some small business at least. If they work intranets into the picture (so the docs are public in a workgroup or domain, but secured in the corpnet) for larger corporations, they'll be a condender for sure.

Microsoft already has a lot of doc sharing/intranet solutions. They've also experimented with server based apps in the past. Google is not doing anything new, but still, you can bet that MS is paying attention... because they might one day do it better/cheaper/good enough.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Game Creator Hobbyist

Regarding putting the documents on a web server... I'm sure the gmail-servers already contain plenty of sensitive data.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Creepy Father Figure

whoa I never put anything important over Gmail I use it for frivolous email.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #9

Then you're just being paranoid. As if the regular e-mail server provided by your local ISP is more trustworthy than google's.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #10
In an evening of July...

Never used Google Spreadsheets or Docs, but I would consider using Photoshop Online when it goes live.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Then you're just being paranoid. As if the regular e-mail server provided by your local ISP is more trustworthy than google's.
I don't use my ISP E-mail. If it needs to be secure I used the interoffice client or send it as hard copy. I do use an e-mail client for my personal stuff but it goes under my own provider name.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Considering that email for my ISP is only on the server until I log on and it downloads to my machine, it's more secure then a system that keeps it forever.

But really, who uses gmail for anything sensitive?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I saw this article at Slate talking about Microsoft, Google Apps and Zoho Office Suite.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Considering that email for my ISP is only on the server until I log on and it downloads to my machine, it's more secure then a system that keeps it forever.
I suspect a system that's designed to retain email forever, like Gmail, is ultimately much more secure than your ISP scenario. Your ISP email may in theory disappear off the server once downloaded, but where else is it sitting around? Backups, considered low-risk because they only store ephemeral data? Who monitors access to the live email server?

If you're going to be needlessly paranoid, a system that's known to store stacks of sensitive data forever is likely to be much better protected against rogue elements than a system sensitive data only passes through.

Of course, if you're going to be needlessly paranoid, then of course everyone including Google are out to get you and the point is moot...