Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Google Docs and Spreadsheets (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/19006-google-docs-spreadsheets.html)

SoccerDude28 02-24-2007 06:50 PM

Google Docs and Spreadsheets

Anyone tried them out? Can be found here

Definitely not as rich as Microsoft Word and Excel but hey, they're free and all web based.

rlpw 02-24-2007 08:10 PM

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting spreadsheets or Docs up on the web. For schoolwork I guess it would be okay but most of the little bit I do in spreadsheet I do not want up on a server.

MoriartyL 02-25-2007 09:45 AM

I haven't checked the spreadsheet, but with the word processor you can save the files on your own hard drive if you like. I'd assume the spreadsheets work the same way.

bigjko 02-25-2007 01:48 PM

I think it's an interesting idea. I can see how you'd like to have a backup on your own computer (as it apparently offers) but just like it's nice to have access to your e-mails wherever and whenever it would be just as nice to have access to your docs and spreadsheets the same way.

MoriartyL 02-25-2007 03:08 PM

Um.. you do. As I said, it's an option to save on your hard drive. Or you can save on their servers.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 02-25-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpw (Post 393804)
I'm not sure I like the idea of putting spreadsheets or Docs up on the web. For schoolwork I guess it would be okay but most of the little bit I do in spreadsheet I do not want up on a server.

For personal data neither would I, but at work we share a lot of documents. Having the apps and docs shared publically could be a big boon for some small business at least. If they work intranets into the picture (so the docs are public in a workgroup or domain, but secured in the corpnet) for larger corporations, they'll be a condender for sure.

Microsoft already has a lot of doc sharing/intranet solutions. They've also experimented with server based apps in the past. Google is not doing anything new, but still, you can bet that MS is paying attention... because they might one day do it better/cheaper/good enough.

Trumgottist 02-26-2007 01:41 PM

Regarding putting the documents on a web server... I'm sure the gmail-servers already contain plenty of sensitive data.

rlpw 02-26-2007 05:18 PM

whoa I never put anything important over Gmail I use it for frivolous email.

Phantom 03-01-2007 02:10 AM

Then you're just being paranoid. As if the regular e-mail server provided by your local ISP is more trustworthy than google's.

kuze 03-01-2007 03:49 AM

Never used Google Spreadsheets or Docs, but I would consider using Photoshop Online when it goes live.

rlpw 03-01-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 394740)
Then you're just being paranoid. As if the regular e-mail server provided by your local ISP is more trustworthy than google's.

I don't use my ISP E-mail. If it needs to be secure I used the interoffice client or send it as hard copy. I do use an e-mail client for my personal stuff but it goes under my own provider name.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 03-01-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 394740)

Considering that email for my ISP is only on the server until I log on and it downloads to my machine, it's more secure then a system that keeps it forever.

But really, who uses gmail for anything sensitive?

Melanie68 03-09-2007 02:49 PM

I saw this article at Slate talking about Microsoft, Google Apps and Zoho Office Suite.

Huz 03-09-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal (Post 395053)
Considering that email for my ISP is only on the server until I log on and it downloads to my machine, it's more secure then a system that keeps it forever.

I suspect a system that's designed to retain email forever, like Gmail, is ultimately much more secure than your ISP scenario. Your ISP email may in theory disappear off the server once downloaded, but where else is it sitting around? Backups, considered low-risk because they only store ephemeral data? Who monitors access to the live email server?

If you're going to be needlessly paranoid, a system that's known to store stacks of sensitive data forever is likely to be much better protected against rogue elements than a system sensitive data only passes through.

Of course, if you're going to be needlessly paranoid, then of course everyone including Google are out to get you and the point is moot...