You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Once Humans Are Gone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default Once Humans Are Gone

Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

Yeah, let's go back to coal.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

That's assuming that whatever wiped us out doesn't affect the planet.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Lovable rogue

I'm hoping for pestilence.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #5

0 to 20 years - apes, monkeys, elephants, bears, etc start messing around with human things, some undoubtedly find some uses for them. Whether this will have any permenant effect on them is uncertain.
300 years - great apes no longer at endangered levels in africa
1 000 years - dolphins move in on ecosystems formerly inhabited by recently extinct large carnivorous fish
1 500 years - chimps start getting a foothold in a small portion of the places they've been taken to by humans
4 000 years - niches opened up by human caused extinctions are occupied
15 000 years - some of the animals that filled these niches are greatly changed
500 000 to 8 000 000 years - another superspecies, most likely ape again, but possibly meerkat instead, begins to emerge
2 000 000 to 12 000 000 years new superspecies develops, starts finding and making sense of archeological remains of humans

(all dates just my guesses if you're wondering)

Last edited by undeaf; 02-14-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Creepy Father Figure

There will be one true boy left as foretold in the great master Jack Kirby in his great work of Prophecies called Kamandi, Last boy on Earth All others will be simple humans will be no more than simple minded beasts controlled by the animal masters or strange bizarre mutants.

Yes I have seen the future, and it is a comic book
Attached Images

Last edited by rlpw; 02-14-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
(all dates just my guesses if you're wondering)
your data is no less accurate than that in the image.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Well, gee, I was wondering what happened to all those humans... and where all those giant pandas and Siberian tigers keep coming from...
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Elegantly copy+pasted

I presume the scenario here is that all human beings simply vanish into thin air. I expect that the immediate aftermath would be somewhat chaotic, as chemical factories and power plants run untended. You'll probably see huge fires, many cities would burn. Toxic spills in the short term as tankers run aground, and later as storage barrels rust through.

Most farm animals starve to death, but some escape into the wild, where many become easy prey for predators... including cats and dogs that are forced to turn feral.

Plants and animals that humans have introduced to other parts of the world continue to compete with the local flora and fauna, sometimes driving them into extinction. The distribution of species across the globe is irrevocably changed, and traces of this huge diaspora will be detectable for many millions of years to come.

Most satellites will see their orbits decay and eventually burn up in the atmosphere. However, some may stay up essentially indefinitely.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

So our revenge on this earth and its flora and fauna will be complete, then? At least our deaths will be avenged and our assassins will get what's coming to them.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
DAVE

Yeah, god damn Earth.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #12

This thread remined me of George Carlin's The Planet is fine routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QFocUp7EE

George's a god. Nobody does cynic (disappointed idealist in Goerge's book) better than George.

I don't have anything to add the topic discussed here though. After a brisk nap pretty much pointed out everything that I would have. I would just add that after a substantial period of time has passed, it will be very hard for any entity to notice any impacts we would have had on Earth. As AABN observed, "traces of this huge diaspora will be detectable for many millions of years to come" but one would have to look very hard to notice them. In the big scheme of things, I doubt we matter a whole lot. Of course to us, we mean everything but to the universe in general or the earth itself, we mean very little if at all.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Well, if we were gone, there would be no one for us to matter to. Animals don't tend to care about the big picture.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Without humans to control the animal population, the animals would grow and populate unchecked, eating all of the vegetation from the earth's surface, forcing them to start eating each other's meat. This would piss off PETA and all the vegans.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4 View Post
This would piss off PETA and all the vegans.
*snorts soda all across the keyboard*

That made my day.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4 View Post
Without humans to control the animal population, the animals would grow and populate unchecked, eating all of the vegetation from the earth's surface, forcing them to start eating each other's meat. This would piss off PETA and all the vegans.
That was as good as the billboard that PETA put up in Paducah KY saying 'Fish are Friends, Not Food' and 'Fish have feelings too.

Besides don't worry about food folks, There is always Soylent Green to fall back on.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
I presume the scenario here is that all human beings simply vanish into thin air. I expect that the immediate aftermath would be somewhat chaotic, as chemical factories and power plants run untended.
Heh. No, I think it's the assumption is that we would vanish, and everything would turn off. It's clear to me that the point to the graphic is 'how long would it take everything to recover from our presence'.

There was an aussie sci-fi film that depicted that. Everyone vanished due to some experimental project, except for a small handful who happened to be dieing at that moment (but recovered). They drove around and found a lot of interesting things, like airliners that fell from the sky and whatnot.

Does anyone know the name of that film (early 90s, if I remember right)?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Besides don't worry about food folks
You know, Food Folks would make a good band name.

Okay, maybe not.

Quote:
There is always Soylent Green to fall back on.
Every time I go to the produce market and see this stacks of colored fruit strips, I cry "Soylent Green is peepul!!!". I always get the strangest looks. I guess produce folk don't watch sci-fi. Kids these days...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Heh. No, I think it's the assumption is that we would vanish, and everything would turn off. It's clear to me that the point to the graphic is 'how long would it take everything to recover from our presence'.
Yeah, but that doesn't make sense.

I don't have any problems imagining everyone just suddenly evaporating, but to believe that all systems would just turn themselves off, that all supertankers would pilot themselves into dock, that no stove would be left on and no gas pump left running... that defies belief.

If your thought experiment is not going to give us a chance to clean up after ourselves, you have to accept the consequences of that. If, on the other hadn, you want a realistic estimate of how long it would take the world to recover, it would obviously depend on how we go.

Besides, isn't it interesting to think about? How many seconds would it take before abandoned cars crashed or slowed to a halt? How many minutes or hours before the airplanes fell from the sky? When would the power go out? How long would automated factory robots keep turning out gadgets on conveyor belts? When would the Internet go down, and the cell phone network? Would some of the zoo animals be able to escape? I suppose most potted plants would die from lack of watering. Mold in the fridge might stand a better chance. If your house collapses quickly enough, maybe your uneaten potatoes, onions and garlic might find purchase in the earth.

Quote:
There was an aussie sci-fi film that depicted that. Everyone vanished due to some experimental project, except for a small handful who happened to be dieing at that moment (but recovered). They drove around and found a lot of interesting things, like airliners that fell from the sky and whatnot.

Does anyone know the name of that film (early 90s, if I remember right)?
The Quiet Earth.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #20
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

...wait a minute....does all this mean that Starman doesn't exist...and he's not going to save us?