You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Fan Fiction - Write it? Like it? What?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Fan Fiction - Write it? Like it? What?

Here we go.

Do you write fan fiction? What kind? Where? Proud of it?

Mine's in my sig & I'm shamelessly proud of my stuff.

Spill it, you do it too, right?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I once tried to write fanfiction...a crossover of Discworld and Harry Potter (call me sadistic, but putting Harry Potter on the Disc had a certain hilarious charm. Meanwhile, Rincewind and the Luggage in the Harry Potter universe...he was mostly fleeing, really. Don't let me start on ranting what he did when he learned he was to be playing Quidditch, flying on a broom. *grins*) of all things.

Needless to say, I never finished it.

I do love reading Fanfiction though. I am one of the members over at the NWN2Fanfic yahoo! group, mostly contributing art (and I am basically the one who keeps track of who draws what for which month of our "Men of Neverwinter" Shirltess Saga calendar as well as contributing for it.) and one of the crazies in the "Shirtless Saga" (15th thread by now) threads in the Bioware NWN 2 forums.

So yeah, I love fanfics.

Oooh, and one of my favourite Harry Potter fanfics was the "Monty Python sings" series (that was just hilarious), and "Draco Malfoy, the Amazing Bouncing...rat?!"

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I'm generally against it in principle.

That is, unless it's in the form of a parody. And it's well-written.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I'm generally against it in principle.

That is, unless it's in the form of a parody. And it's well-written.
Why are you against it? Elaborate, please.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Lovable rogue

I'm with Squinky.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Psychonaut

Most of it is drivel.

Sorry.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Yeah, unless FanFiction is witten extremely well its basicly bad.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabetta611 View Post
Why are you against it? Elaborate, please.
For one thing, I believe very strongly that all bodies of artistic work are the property of their creator(s), and as such, no one should mess with the characters and worlds without the permission of said creator(s), period. Also, I like to think that if people are talented enough to write compelling stories, then they should be more than capable of creating their own worlds and characters. That enough elaboration for ya?

Also, as many have said, most of it is just plain bad, so I have no interest in it. I appreciate that some people are young, struggling writers, and fanfic may be a way for them to start developing their talents, but I'd still like to see such efforts directed somewhere more original.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
For one thing, I believe very strongly that all bodies of artistic work are the property of their creator(s), and as such, no one should mess with the characters and worlds without the permission of said creator(s), period. Also, I like to think that if people are talented enough to write compelling stories, then they should be more than capable of creating their own worlds and characters. That enough elaboration for ya?

Also, as many have said, most of it is just plain bad, so I have no interest in it. I appreciate that some people are young, struggling writers, and fanfic may be a way for them to start developing their talents, but I'd still like to see such efforts directed somewhere more original.
Thanks for explaining your viewpoint.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Unreliable Narrator

Anytime. *curtsies*
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Psychonaut

Quote:
Also, I like to think that if people are talented enough to write compelling stories, then they should be more than capable of creating their own worlds and characters. That enough elaboration for ya?
That is true to a certain extent, but it is still possible to write a compelling story etc within the confines of another writers world and characters.

With permission of course.

There are plenty of good tie-in novels (Professional Fanfic), comics, TV Shows etc etc that play in other peoples intellectual property sandbox. (*cough*Sam and Max*cough*)

I just think the problem is that most of the fanfic authors are not that good. (Of course there are the odd exception)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
merely human

I think it's wonderful that fans take the original source work and spin their own stories from it, especially if they're good writers.

However, I personally am not interested in doing that, considering I have my own original ideas as a fledgling writer. I prefer to make stories on my own, instead of relying on the work of others.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
That is true to a certain extent, but it is still possible to write a compelling story etc within the confines of another writers world and characters.

With permission of course.

There are plenty of good tie-in novels (Professional Fanfic), comics, TV Shows etc etc that play in other peoples intellectual property sandbox. (*cough*Sam and Max*cough*)
I definitely agree, because the key word here is "permission".
Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Lovable rogue

Personally, I don't even like "Expanded Universe" work by licenced authors.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
I definitely agree, because the key word here is "permission".
It is illegal but I would imagine the vast majority of these sites don't get cracked down on unless they try to make money on it somehow. Interestingly, one of the unofficial Harry Potter fan sites, Mugglenet.com, has been publicly recognized and liked immensely by J.K. Rowling, and they do have a fan fiction portion of that site. So there are some authors who are O.K. with it (I'm sure they hate the rubbish stories and the really sexually graphic stories) and there are many who just don't care enough to do something about it.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #16

There are other creators who like and support fan fiction. Gene Roddenberry liked fan fiction so much that he actually wrote an introduction to the first official volume of fan fiction stories to be published by an authorized publishing house.

X-Files is another example of how fan fiction actually ended up helping the show. X-files struggled mightily in the beginning and the fans many of whom wrote and enjoyed reading fan fiction kept the show alive long enough to be discovered by the larger audience. The Gossamer Project, the web-archive of the X-Files fan fiction host more than 30,000 pieces of X-Files fan fiction. Only a small handful of them could be considered a good reading material. A lot of them indeed are amateurish. But each piece was lovingly created by the fans of the show. I know this because I read a large amount of those stories and loved a lot of them.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
merely human

I think that if I ever become a successful writer and ended up having lots of fans and some of them wrote fan fiction based on my characters and world, I would encourage it, but I would also be their worst critic. If I see that that some of them are horrible writers, I'd first praise them for their effort and enthusiasm, and then I'd tell them they need to find a better outlet for their, erm...*cough*....'talent'.

What you think, Squink?

< runs >
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I think that if I ever become a successful writer and ended up having lots of fans and some of them wrote fan fiction based on my characters and world, I would encourage it, but I would also be their worst critic. If I see that that some of them are horrible writers, I'd first praise them for their effort and enthusiasm, and then I'd tell them they need to find a better outlet for their, erm...*cough*....'talent'.

What you think, Squink?

< runs >
The difference is that your a good writer.

And all this running all over the forums, come rest on my lap.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
There are plenty of good tie-in novels (Professional Fanfic), comics, TV Shows etc etc that play in other people's intellectual property sandbox.
And as we all know, anytime you play in a sandbox that has been left open you're bound to find some crap.

Quote:
I just think the problem is that most of the fanfic authors are not that good. (Of course there are the odd exception)
Agreed.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #20
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvstud View Post
The difference is that your a good writer.
I'm trying to be.

Quote:
And all this running all over the forums, come rest on my lap.
(((((Dasilvstud)))))