You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Academy Awards Nominations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #41
Hopeful skeptic

Like some others, my enthusiasm for LOTR peaked with Fellowship and hasn't fully recovered. Plus I'm sick of all the hype. But I think it's pretty obvious that ROTK was actually recognized as a sum total for the entire trilogy. Yes, I know the previous two won a few technical awards, but it sure seemed that the major hardware was being held back from the previous instalments. So I agree that a few other movies probably got screwed by going up against ROTK, but then I felt the previous two movies (or at least Fellowship) got the shaft from the Academy. I guess in a way it all balances out, except that Beautiful Mind should give its Oscar to Lost in Translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Peter Jackson did a great job of coordinating all the various elements that were necessary to make films of this magnitude, but the actual direction of the movies was not revolutionary.
I agreed with most of what you said, but I think you're really underestimating the importance and difficulty of this task. Thinking of actual direction only as a technical/artistic role is too simplistic. Sure, it's the easiest way to judge the "skill" of a director, but it's anything but the only measure. The scope of the trilogy WAS groundbreaking from a directing perspective, and Jackson does deserve to be acknowledged for it.

Although I hate hypothetical questions, perhaps the best thing to ask of direction is if a film would have suffered much in the hands of another director. Actually, I ask the same thing about actors, who are often rewarded more for good roles and scripts.

As for Lost in Translation, it DID win best original screenplay, didn't it? That's a HUGE honour, and rewards what I consider to be the most integral (and unsung) aspect of any movie. Too bad about the actors, though.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #42
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Here's in honor of the Lord of the Rings, the supertrailer in high quality about all the three movies

http://progressive2.stream.aol.com/n...er_1500_dl.mov
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:34 AM   #43
Joop Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I'm probably alone on this on these forums, but I'm kind of disappointed ROTK won that many awards. [snip]
Basically, these Oscar results were a big pile of crap for me.
I read here that ROTK won 11 oscars and I think that's a few too many, I'm with you remixor
Old 03-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #44
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer
I agreed with most of what you said, but I think you're really underestimating the importance and difficulty of this task. Thinking of actual direction only as a technical/artistic role is too simplistic. Sure, it's the easiest way to judge the "skill" of a director, but it's anything but the only measure. The scope of the trilogy WAS groundbreaking from a directing perspective, and Jackson does deserve to be acknowledged for it.
I see your point but only partially agree. I still think the main achievement in direction was Jackson's technical coordination of the whole thing above all else. I realize that one should not really take a filmmaker's other works into account when judging a particular film, but in all honesty all of Jackson's prior directing was really nothing special, and it's hard for me to believe that he suddenly blossomed into some sort of genius director when he started working LOTR. I think that there were far too many instrumental people involved in this trilogy all specializing in particular things too give Jackson an award for his direction.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #45
Iconoclast

I am with Remixor on this one 100%. Very disappointing results..
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #46
Friendly Server Admin

Heh... I'm glad Nemo won, but probably not for the same reasons as everybody else
Old 03-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #47
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

But the best about Oscars was again Billy Crystal's great work as the host.

I loved the jokes he told, and the opening intro was just unbelievable, I was laughing all the time.

I'm putting this torrent link here, if you haven't watched the Oscar 2004 show, then watch this:

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/1300/76t...e.HDTV.torrent

It's unbeliavably good!

"I'm back, baby!"
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 03-02-2004 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:44 AM   #48
Jumping peanut on a stick

I'm a bit less critical toward LOTR after actually seeing the third one. It's certainly the best of all 3 and it kind of deserved to won- even though some other movies this year deserved it just the same... or, in some sense, more- as i really think the main achievements of LOTR movies were of technical nature and not really movies as movies... too much of Hollywood summer blockbuster touch.

Btw, Remixor- i got completely psyched up over "The Triplets of Belleville" after seeing the short clips on Oscars... Beautiful, beautiful art direction! So the story is just as good? I have to see it!