You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Academy Awards Nominations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #21
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah, I was hoping Destino would win too.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:40 PM   #22
Umbilicus Mundi

The amount of commercial breaks is really offpissing.

Curiosums our commentators have mentioned (although they suck otherwise):
In USA 30 seconds of advertisements costs 1.5 million USD, totalling about 65 million.
The USA sees the show with a 5 second delay compared to the rest of the world.

Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM   #23
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki

Curiosums our commentators have mentioned (although they suck otherwise):
In USA 30 seconds of advertisements costs 1.5 million USD, totalling about 65 million.
The delay this year is new, and it's only because of stupid Janet Jackson.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #24
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That's 11 out of 11 Oscars to LotR:RotK!!!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #25
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
The delay this year is new, and it's only because of stupid Janet Jackson.
Why?

Quote:
Didn't ROTK get 10 not 11?

What's the record?

Old 02-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #26
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Which puts it in a tie with Titanic and Ben Hur for most awards, I believe.

Quote:
Why?
Because god forbid America see a breast on TV. *sigh*
Old 02-29-2004, 09:19 PM   #27
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Which puts it in a tie with Titanic and Ben Hur for most awards, I believe.

Woohoo!!

But now to bed, god damn, it's morning 07.19 in here.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #28
soffistical

As much as Penn certainly deserved his Oscar, I sure would have loved to see Murray take the cake. Considering that Penn is probably greater in chances of actually recieving more of them down the line, and comedy artists hugely overlooked... Ah well...

Great with the Grand Slam for LOTR though, even though the acting talents were overlooked, it felt like this was the ultimate awarding of prices for all three movies.

Did anybody else find the entire show extremely boring though? I thought it was tedious, dunno if anything interesting got removed with the 5 second delay, lol, but it sure seemed totally edge-less, with the possible semi-controversial exclaim by the documentary filmer saying something like "about time" lol!

Charlize Theron's speach was good. And the presentation of the best song, Black and that other fellow, can't recall his name, singing the "we're bored" song was funny too!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #29
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I'm probably alone on this on these forums, but I'm kind of disappointed ROTK won that many awards. I was really hoping for Lost in Translation to take Best Picture. I didn't think ANY of the nominations for best director were than great, but I admit I was kind of hoping it would go to anyone except Peter Jackson ( ). I was also hoping completely in vain that American Splendor would win Best Adapted Screenplay. Most of ROTK's technical awards were well-deserved, as was its original score win.

Fog of War was a good choice for Best Documentary.

I am hugely frustrated that Finding Nemo beat out The Triplets of Belleville for Best Animated Feature. The only way this could be explained is that the members of the Academy who voted for this award didn't SEE The Triplets of Belleville.

I'm not crazy about either of the Best Supporting Actor/Actress awards, although I like Tim Robbins in general.

Basically, these Oscar results were a big pile of crap for me.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #30
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
Charlize Theron's speach was good. And the presentation of the best song, Black and that other fellow, can't recall his name, singing the "we're bored" song was funny too!
Thou shalt not forget the name of Will Ferrell!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #31
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I'm probably alone on this on these forums, but I'm kind of disappointed ROTK won that many awards.
I haven't seen any of the other nominated films yet, but I kind of agree. It's a great film, but I personally think much more of movies that are about people. My favourites are Donnie Darko, Leon etc.

Although you could say that LOTR was about people (that even the smallest person can do great deeds) in some deeper level, I don't think it was what the film was all about really.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #32
comfortably numb

Hmm, I'm surprised Lost in Translation didn't get more awards. Return of the King was a great movie but I don't know if it was *that* good, especially in directing I would've probably picked Lost in Translation or Elephant over it.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
I haven't seen any of the other nominated films yet, but I kind of agree. It's a great film, but I personally think much more of movies that are about people. My favourites are Donnie Darko, Leon etc.

Although you could say that LOTR was about people (that even the smallest person can do great deeds) in some deeper level, I don't think it was what the film was all about really.
I think I agree with you in general, but I must admit I don't much care for Donnie Darko Leon was great, however.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #34
Umbilicus Mundi

I thought about it and I guess I put it a bit wrong: I think higher of films that have deep characters. LOTR doesn't have any in my opinion, except Sam maybe, and Guglunk to a lesser extent.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #35
A Servicable Villain

I was sleeping during the oscars. Now why would anyone plan a show like that at 5 in the morning?!
()
Old 03-01-2004, 02:51 AM   #36

I'm glad ROTK won so many awards. Although I'm sure all of the films nominated were excellent in many ways, I don't think any of them can match the sheer cinematic achievement of the LOTR trilogy. I still can't believe Beautiful Mind won over Fellowship, two years ago. And LOTR's characters have plenty of depth; Gollum, Boromir, Gandalf (not so much in the last two, but certainly in the first film), Sam, Aragorn...

As for Finding Nemo winning... it's a brilliant film! I haven't seen Triplets yet (was going to, but the projector died at the uni cinema and it was a one-off), but I don't see how it's unfair that Pixar won.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I'm glad ROTK won so many awards. Although I'm sure all of the films nominated were excellent in many ways, I don't think any of them can match the sheer cinematic achievement of the LOTR trilogy. I still can't believe Beautiful Mind won over Fellowship, two years ago. And LOTR's characters have plenty of depth; Gollum, Boromir, Gandalf (not so much in the last two, but certainly in the first film), Sam, Aragorn...
You can't just list characters and expect that to be evidence of depth. I love Tolkien's work, and I very much enjoyed the film adaptations, but I would hardly claim that most of those characters were "deep"; they're about as archetypal as they come. This goes for the good guys and the bad guys. The characters in Lord of the Rings are just about as direct and extreme as can be, they're really not multi-layered at all. This is not a criticism, it's just how the stories work. Gollum was probably the deepest character in the films, but even his personality is comprised of a pretty blatant dichotomy.

Anyway, I thought Fellowship was a great movie, but I am not as impressed with The Two Towers and Return of the King. When I saw "not as impressed" I don't mean I wasn't impressed, I just mean that to me they don't have anything on Fellowship. They were all good movies, but I would be pretty hesistant to call TTT and ROTK truly great, and I certainly feel that Lost in Translation had a lot more to say than ROTK. To me, it was a more worthwhile film. When you call the Lord of the Rings films "cinematic achievements", what do you mean exactly? If you are claiming they are cinematic achievements from a technical perspective, I would agree whole-heartedly. The physical scope of the films is enormous, and they are excellent from a visual perspective. As I said earlier, I feel ROTK deserves its technical awards. However, you can't for a second get me to believe that the films broke new ground in direction, screenwriting, or acting. I'm not even going to bother trying to come up with specific evidence for that argument because it's unnecessary. Peter Jackson did a great job of coordinating all the various elements that were necessary to make films of this magnitude, but the actual direction of the movies was not revolutionary. The writing did a good job of imitating Tolkien's style, but it's hardly in the all-time top tier of cinematic prose. There were definitely some good actors in the films, and some great performances by the likes of Ian McKellan, but I can't imagine any of them being remembered as seminal performances of our time. So let's get back to Lost in Translation. To me, the "love story" in this film was pretty groundbreaking in that the film was essentially romantic comedy without a real love story. The whole movie was essentially a character study and Sofia Coppola pulled it off beautifully. The film was gorgeous, from beginning to end, the script was completely natural and utterly believable, and the performances by Murray and Johansson were subtle and powerful. I know it sounds like I'm just completely in love with this movie, and I am. I was completely entranced by every moment of this film, which is something I can't really say about ROTK. Bear in mind I do not mean to criticize ROTK. Saying something isn't groundbreaking is not an insult, so please don't accuse me of hating on Peter Jackson or something absurd like that. I quite enjoyed the trilogy.

Quote:
As for Finding Nemo winning... it's a brilliant film! I haven't seen Triplets yet (was going to, but the projector died at the uni cinema and it was a one-off), but I don't see how it's unfair that Pixar won.
Well, since you haven't seen Triplets, you really have no basis on which to defend Finding Nemo. That said, I really enjoyed Finding Nemo but it was pretty much what I expected from Pixar. I'm not sure what about it was "brilliant"--it was very well executed and up to Pixar's very high standard of animation, but like ROTK it's not as if it was particularly revolutionary. The Triplets of Belleville, on the other hand, was a truly gorgeous and very unique film. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe there are other things like it, but it was new to me and it certainly came off as having a lot more "vision" than Finding Nemo.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:00 AM   #38
comfortably numb

What remixor said.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:45 AM   #39
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
The commercial breaks were the highlight for me. It makes me feel all superior that while the rest of the world is weeping through adverts, I get to watch the comedy stylings of Jonathan Ross and his lovably, perennially technically inept crew. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkki
I'd have thought the 5-second delay would have applied to everyone - the US's captions and things certainly did. Just a guess though...
Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #40

Fair enough about LOTR. I don't agree, but I see what you mean... and I'd really like to see Lost in Translation.

As for Nemo... There's all the basis to defend the film. What I can't do is say it deserves an oscar over Triplets cause I haven't seen it, but I can say it deserves an oscar in its own right. It may have been fairly straightforward as a story, but the brilliance is in the animation. I've had the pleasure of watching a presentation by one of the Pixar animators going into the how and why of their performances, and what these guys do is magic.