You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Super Size Me", please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool
Default "Super Size Me", please!

Mmmmm!

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/16393.htm (Click for full article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Post
January 22, 2004 -- LAST February, Morgan Spurlock decided to become a gastronomical guinea pig.

His mission: To eat three meals a day for 30 days at McDonald's and document the impact on his health.

[...]

Within a few days of beginning his drive-through diet, Spurlock, 33, was vomiting out the window of his car, and doctors who examined him were shocked at how rapidly Spurlock's entire body deteriorated.
It's a really intersting article on the subject of obesity and the effects fast-food can have on you.

Morgan has made a documentary on his experiment which he calls "Super Size Me - A Film Of Epic Portions". He won the Best Director award for it at the Sundance Film Festival, so I'd say it's worth a look. Check the link for the film's web page.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Umbilicus Mundi

Suddenly I'm hungry.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #3

I'm suddenly not hungry
Old 01-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I never was much for french fries. Now I have (yet) another reason for it.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
More slaw!!!

Geeee, I knew that stuff was filth... but that's just too much! :eek:
Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Iconoclast

The problem with his experiment is that it is biased from the start. One could create plenty of home cooked meals that are just as bad, if not worse for you than McDonalds and who would they blame then? It's not like McDonalds corners the market on their ingredients. Is anyone surprised that eating excessive amounts of crappy food every meal of every day is bad for you? What does that have to do with fast food when no one forces anyone to eat at those places?

This film is just one more thing that people will use to absolve responsibility for their own actions. People are fat because they don't exercise and eat poorly. Restaurants have nothing to do with their poor choices.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

I sure am glad I don't like foods that contain loads of fat.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
The problem with his experiment is that it is biased from the start. One could create plenty of home cooked meals that are just as bad, if not worse for you than McDonalds and who would they blame then? It's not like McDonalds corners the market on their ingredients. Is anyone surprised that eating excessive amounts of crappy food every meal of every day is bad for you? What does that have to do with fast food when no one forces anyone to eat at those places?
I agree that this endeavor was fixed from the start. But I don't think that it was Morgan Spurlock's specific goal to shove the entire weight of responsibility on McDonald's. His idea was to "...[explore] the obesity epidemic that plagues America today - a sort of 'Bowling for Columbine' for fast food...." McDonald's just happened to be one of the most non-peripheral co-conspirators of this phenomenon, he could easily have chosen other establishents, like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Burger King, or Taco Bell. His point was to make a film as commentary on this issue, and he chose one of the more dramatic (thereby more convincing?) approaches to it, that is, eating nothing but junk for a month.

Quote:
This film is just one more thing that people will use to absolve responsibility for their own actions. People are fat because they don't exercise and eat poorly. Restaurants have nothing to do with their poor choices.
You need to realize that everyone - restaurants, individual consumers, and government - contributes to this. Stating that "people are fat because they don't exercise and eat poorly" may be plausible, but that view is short-sighted, it's only one part of addressing the entire issue. The fact is that this way of food consumption has become a standard cultural and social norm, not just in the U.S. but also in many other developed countries like Britain and France:

Quote:
The World Health Organization last year said obesity is no longer mostly an American problem but is an increasing concern in Europe and other developed nations because people are abandoning traditional dietary habits and adopting more sedentary lifestyles.

Countries with some of the heaviest youngsters after the United States, based on data from 15-year-olds, were:

• Greece: 5.5 percent of girls were obese and about 16 percent were overweight; nearly 11 percent of boys were obese and almost 29 percent were overweight.

• Portugal: nearly 7 percent of girls were obese and almost 21 percent were overweight; about 5 percent of boys were obese and 14 percent were overweight.

• Israel: about 6 percent of girls were obese and 16 percent were overweight; nearly 7 percent of boys were obese and 20 percent were overweight;

• Ireland: nearly 5 percent of girls were overweight and 14 percent were overweight; almost 3 percent of boys were obese and 19 percent were overweight.

• Denmark: 6.5 percent of girls were obese and 18 percent were overweight; about 3 percent of boys were obese and 10 percent were overweight.
International survey: Fattest teens in U.S., cnn.com

It's become a vicious cycle. Many consumers choose to lead lives that leave little room - i.e. time - for preparing more healthful meals and eating habits. Many parents, for example, work long hours, leaving their kids to mind themselves. Naturally the kids will turn to junk food (which demands no time consuming preparation) because mom and dad aren't around to otherwise cook something nutritious and healthful.

This of course justifies fast food chains' desire to capitalize by offering convenient foods (at the expense of healthiness) at any time of the day:

Quote:
I am often asked why the food industry produces so many products that can undermine health. The answer is simple. Because people buy them. Any food item that does not sell soon disappears from the marketplace. The industry supplies what consumers demand. If more people eating fast food choose salads over fries, the salad choices in those establishments will increase.
The Widening of America, or How Size 4 Became a Size 0, The New York Times

In the U.S., the government (alongside parents, corporations, and individuals) should also share some of the responsibilities. Because of severe federal and state budget cuts in the education sector (while Bush spends billions on trying to send astronauts to Mars), schools had to cut back on certain programs like physical education classes, and increasingly rely on alternative forms of income, mainly soft drink companies paying them to install vending machines full of soda pop and junk food at school campuses.

And of particular importance: fat Americans are expensive and high maintenance! Although I don't have the statistics at hand atm, obesity is costing us millions of dollars in healthcare costs. Fat people are far more prone to problems like diabetes and of course, heart disease. It costs a crapload of money to take care of them.

EDIT: Um, sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, but this whole obesity phenomenon I find really fascinating. I've been keeping tabs on it, reading news articles, etc.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-27-2004 at 11:55 AM.