You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What Are You Afraid Of?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #41
Schoolgirl From Hell

Huge flying cockroaches creep me out. And unfortunately, we have plenty of those in Malaysia. Bastards.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 06-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #42
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I especially hate being off the ground in situations where I can't quickly reach the ground again if necessary. Things like elevators, roller coasters, ski lifts, that sort of thing. I'm not really comfortable in buildings that go higher than 3 stories or so, either.
Ugh! I hate old-style elevators that snatch you when they start moving then jerk to a stop at the correct floor! They're one of the very few things in this world that make me motion-sick, probably because most of them have no windows and there's no visual motion reference. I have to give props to the elevators in the "Sky Tower" at Circus-Circus in Reno, though...they're extremely fast and give almost no sense of motion at all. Why aren't all elevators that good?
Truth to be told, if I'm in a room with windows above the second floor or so I have to work my way up to going to the window in two or three stages. Once I'm there I'm fine and will gaze out of it all day, but getting there can be a little tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I can, however, manage riding in an airplane OK, mainly because the height makes everything outside the window look kind of scale model-like enough for me to turn off my brain a bit. Takeoffs and landings make me very nervous, but it's tolerable.
I know exactly what you mean. It's a lot scarier when you can see detail on the stuff below you than it is when the ground is reduced to a patchwork of greens, browns, and greys.

Since I've poked fun at "Alpha Male" tendencies, I feel it's only fair that I admit my own. By myself, I'm a big chicken. Get me in a crowd, especially one where another guy shows fear, and my personal fear level drops considerably. Get me on a date, and I won't show fear of anything. Period. One benefit to this is that after I've conquered a given fear in a group, it's no longer a fear when I'm alone, either.
I guess there's a little bit of the lizard brain in all of us.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #43

I've got hypochondria, so whenever I feel something odd, I get scared and assume I've got cancer or a tumor.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #44
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Huge flying cockroaches creep me out. And unfortunately, we have plenty of those in Malaysia. Bastards.
Oh yeah. Those things freak me out, and I've somehow been lucky enough never to actually see on in real life outside of a biology lab...

Generally I try not to harm animals, but any cockroaches I see are going to die. Sorry about that.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #45
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
We have them here in Florida, too. They call them Palmetto bugs, but they are huge cockroaches. Most are about 4-5 cm long and about 3 cm wide, but I've seen them as big as 15 cm long and 10cm wide, and those are about 8 cm tall. If you leave your screen door closed at night, but your door open, and have lights on inside, they'll crash up against the screen, and rattle the door so you think someone's coming in.

The only difference I can see from the smaller ones up north, is that these seem to be more solitary, whereas the northern cousins come in bunches.

Lynsie
Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #46
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Similarly I can never play Dungeon's and Dragons because I am deathly afraid of rolling a '1' (automatic fail).
Aw... granted, it can be kind of frustrating when that happens, but it also is usually really funny in the end. Plus none of my characters have died from a critical miss... yet. (Not that dying is a permanent problem in D&D anyway.)

Besides, not playing D&D also means you never get the thrill of rolling a 20.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #47
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm very much afraid of spiders. I can touch them and remove them from my apartment/bike etc. whatever if I'm wearing a glove on my hand, but those things really creep me out, especially because our house is made of some kind of bricks that attract spiders and such, and my apartment is in the ground floor so spiders and ants keep coming inside my apartment all the time, especially during summer.

Also, darkness makes my imagination go wild, I start imagining strange stuff moving in the shadows. Well, it was much worse when I was younger but still even during these days I sometimes unintentionally let my imagination run wild and then I just get scared.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #48

I'm extremely scared of spiders. I'm too afraid to come close enough to smash them, so I usually use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of them and plug the hole on the cleaner to prevent them from crawling out again. But even spiders are not nearly as scary as giant centipedes.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #49
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Submerged weeds and logs. Everytime I swim in a lake, I can't help but look down into the green water and get creeped out about what is below me......that I can't see.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #50
Second Degree Black Belt

spiders, I cant take those creepy little legs..... they are gross

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #51
Bad command or file name

Well, one of my worst fears came true the other week. Our Mac Xserver bit the dust pretty hard about 1pm on a Monday. 14 hours of hell later, I had the machine and data back up and running for work the next day. That sucked bad but it could have been much worse. I still have many many other fears though. Right now, the very top on my list is phone system failure. Next would likely be drive failure on our mail server. Of course there are always those fun thoughts of fire or power outages too. *shivers*

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #52
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
I'm extremely scared of spiders. I'm too afraid to come close enough to smash them, so I usually use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of them and plug the hole on the cleaner to prevent them from crawling out again. But even spiders are not nearly as scary as giant centipedes.
ACK. I have an aunt and uncle who live in Australia (Alice Springs, to be precise). My aunt told me that once she was in the shower and a giant centipede crawled up her leg. If you move too quickly they dig their legs in, so she had to stand in this shower with a huuugge centipede on the inside of her thigh until my uncle came home and was able to coax it off of her leg onto a magazine.

Uh. I am afraid of wasps and other flying insects. Mainly wasps, though. I am also afraid of using a porta-potty on a bridge. I'm not afraid of heights or porta-potties, but the two together gives me the creeps. What if the porta-potty tipped off the bridge with me inside? Brr.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #53
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Oh wow. Awesome. *newfound love for giant centipedes* *eyes sparkle!* That is so, so, so cool. Thanks for the link.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #54
Padme' Amidala

I'm mostly scared of my family and relatives dying.
Then its the Simpsons being cancelled
and also slugs.My mate's mum was bringing the washing in at night cause she'd forgotten about it and she (unfortunately) was in bare feet and she stood on one.It squished on her foot.Brrrrr...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #55
tsa
Playing character

Default What Are You Afraid Of?

To get to know each other even better (after all, the 'tell us about yourself' threads are quite popular) I thought it would be interesting to see what you are afraid of. So please, tell us your biggest fears! One of my biggest fears is the following:
I live alone in a small apartment. What if I'm in the kitchen cutting up food, and I suddenly cut myself real bad? I have some bandages lying around, but what if I'm not able to bandage myself? I'll bleed to death, or at least splatter blood all over my apartment while trying to call 112 (911 in the Netherlands)...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #56
Super Moderator

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ighlight=fears

Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #57

Big trees and wind. I guess having to deal with that every winter has really gotten to me. Plus, one almost fell on me. It's difficult to relax when you're worrying about them falling on you or your house.

I also don't like airplanes. It's not the height that scares me, but not knowing anything about the plane. There's always weird sounds that freak me out, and I have know idea what kind of condition the plane is in. I'd rather spend a week or two on a ship to make the same trip.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #58
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Well, so much for me being original! Maybe you can merge the threads Melanie?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Well, so much for me being original! Maybe you can merge the threads Melanie?
They're merged. (whew - I'm still a tad nervous doing that.)
Old 01-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #60
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
They're merged. (whew - I'm still a tad nervous doing that.)
You're the best Melanie