You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What Are You Afraid Of?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 AM   #21
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I'm extremely afraid of vomiting. Up to the point where it controlled most of my actions a few years back. I'm still dealing with that. It's kind of annoying.
I saw a Dr Phil show on that. So, you're not alone. The strange part was that when this woman who suffered of this actually did vomit it wasn't a big deal at all. But afterwards she went right back to being afraid of it again.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #22
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
You new avatar is just so.....not you Rob.
I fancied something different. It's a bit of an anti-RLacey. That's why it's role-playing!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #23
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

But if an RLacey has an anti-RLacey avatar, don't the two cancel each other out?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #24
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I keep reading the title of this thread as "What are you made of?", reminding me of "Your entire family is made out of meat!" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
(In fairness, I was a little nervous the first time I flew, but my nervousness turned to elation immediately after take-off...despite the fact that every other passenger on the plane was praying because we took off in the middle of a rainstorm.)

Why were they praying when taking off in the middle of a rainstorm? There's not much to it. What should really creep you out is *landing* while in the middle of a full scale summer thunderstorm (Happened to me at one time, when landing in Berlin)!

I'm unable to climb up those climbing walls if they are completely vertical, even if I know that I am on a safety rope. It feels like I'm falling off the wall backwards - I freeze once I get to a certain height. The trouble is, I keep trying to climb those walls, despite my knowledge of my inability to climb higher up. (I'm extremely proud that I managed to climb up a pole with metal footholds attached to the sides. It was not easy, especially as close to the top, because the pole [made from the stem of a pine] was quite wide, and the footholds started to be attached more to opposite sides of the pole. It felt a little bit like being ripped apart when climbing up there. But the reward were several hours in the high-rope garden. That was on my graduation class's Bonding Trip.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #25
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

So you went on a bonding trip and they then tried to kill you my making the pole harder to climb? How nice of them .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 06-07-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #26
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I'm scared of Rock and Roll. It's the electric guitars that get to me. It's screeching at such loud volumes, and it's so unnatural... When I hear heavy rock music, I just want to curl up in a ball and hide my ears.

[shudder]
you pussy!!!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #27
Not like them!

Gee, thanks for the understanding.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #28
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I'm extremly afraid of stuffed animals (not teddybears, but those a taxedermist makes..) and bridges made of metalrists..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 06-07-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #29
In need of therapy

Any kind of psychopath wearing a smiley face mask. It's the most scary thing I can imagine.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #30
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I´m afraid of losing the ones I care about, my girlfriend, friends, and relatives. That would be the worst that could happen..
Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu
Any kind of psychopath wearing a smiley face mask. It's the most scary thing I can imagine.
So...basically me? I'm wearing seven of those masks, though. Does that still count?

(Welcome to the forums, Karasu! )

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #32
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I like to think that there isn't much that i'm scared of, but embarrassingly, i have to admit that i am scared to death of bees and wasps

One time, during an english exam, i ws unfortunately seated next to an open window and this really annoying bastard of a wasp decided that it wanted to take up residence in my hair

Well, i put up with the annoying little shit for at least 5 minutes, before i jumped from my seat and ran screaming from the room
Old 06-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #33
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I'm afraid of telephones, answering machines, and vomit.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #34

Quote:
A group of us were discussing flying one day at work, and my friend "A" said he had never flown anywhere before. The rest of us began suggesting possible and affordable trips for him to take, and he finally admitted that he was petrified at the very idea of getting airborne in a plane and went on to say that there wasn't enough liquor in the world to get him drunk enough to board one. Okay...
I can understand being afraid of flying. You have to put trust in someone you don't know to safely fly the plane. You also don't how well the aircraft has been taken care of.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #35
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Why were they praying when taking off in the middle of a rainstorm? There's not much to it. What should really creep you out is *landing* while in the middle of a full scale summer thunderstorm (Happened to me at one time, when landing in Berlin)!
Actually, we did both on the same flight. It was the first half of a journey from Birmingham, Alabama to Greenville, South Carolina, about 400 miles. We had a stopover in Atlanta, Georgia and it was raining with some thunder and lightning both here in Birmingham and in Atlanta. The descent to Atlanta's airport was fairly bumpy, but no worse than riding in a church bus as it goes over railroad tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I can understand being afraid of flying. You have to put trust in someone you don't know to safely fly the plane.
True. I've noticed (around here, at least) that a lot more men seem to be afraid of flying than women. When pressed, most of those guys admit that it's not the actual flying they're afraid of, but the simple act of letting someone else drive the vehicle they're in. I suppose this is some sort of "Alpha Male" control issue bubbling to the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
You also don't how well the aircraft has been taken care of.
Now that is a valid point. After seeing the story of the Aloha Airlines 737 that lost it's roof, and hearing several survivors say they noticed a crack in the fuselage beside the door while they were boarding the plane, I make sure I look for any obvious signs of metal fatigue.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #36
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
For the final straw, during a discussion about pet cats "A" revealed he is also afraid of domestic felines. With my usual compassion and tact, my response to this revelation was "What part scares you the most... the laying in your lap or the purring?".
You know, the funny thing is that many people who say they don't like/are afraid of cats tell me they do like dogs.

I have in my lifetime experienced being attacked and bit by a dog, and being attacked and bit (and clawed) by a cat. I'll take the cat any day. After all, I'm bigger than all cats.

Anyhoo.

Things that make me nervous (that is, I don't like them and generally avoid them, but I can put up with them if necessary without crippling panic):

1. Heights. I hate being off the ground... even something as simple as standing on a chair can make me nervous.

I especially hate being off the ground in situations where I can't quickly reach the ground again if necessary. Things like elevators, roller coasters, ski lifts, that sort of thing. I'm not really comfortable in buildings that go higher than 3 stories or so, either.

I can, however, manage riding in an airplane OK, mainly because the height makes everything outside the window look kind of scale model-like enough for me to turn off my brain a bit. Takeoffs and landings make me very nervous, but it's tolerable.

2. Spiders. Hate the things. But I generally can manage to keep myself calm enough to dispose of said spider with a properly wielded paper towel.

Granted, though, I've only ever dealt with your small house pest variety of spider. (Nothing larger than an inch and a half or so.) If I ever saw a really big variety of spider I'd likely be gone in the other direction so fast you'd see little wisps of smoke.

3. Telephones. Hate talking on the telephone. It's this uncomfortable chasm between the full body-language of being in person, and the impersonal nature of talking online. It's personal enough that you still have the social anxiety and the immediacy of having to speak on the spot and listen, yet impersonal enough that you lack body language to help gauge mood/personality/what a person is thinking/etc. The worst of both worlds.

Judging from the reactions I tend to get from other people, I almost always give a completely different impression on the phone than what I wanted to give. Bleh.

4. Fire. It burns... explanation enough, I think. I can bring myself to light a candle, or what have you, but I'm usually very cautious and jittery about it (namely, blowing out the match before it has a remote chance of singing my fingers.)

Things I'm out and out afraid of (namely, I will go out of my way to avoid them, and get really panicky when forced to deal with them).

1. Bees/wasps/other stinging insects. I know I'm not allergic, since I've gotten stung on two separate occasions and haven't suffered any ill effects other than basic sting wound ouchness, but I still hate it enough that I avoid stingy things whenever possible.

2. Guns. Even if they're not pointed at me. Just make me extremely nervous.

That's the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Just for kicks, a list of things I'm *not* afraid of, that people commonly are...

1. Snakes. I would give a poisonous species of snake a very wide berth, but the non-poisonous varieties don't bother me in the least, even large ones. I also kind of like frogs. Between the two, I stymied many a mischevious boy in my youth (well, until they realized that the only thing cooler than scaring a girl with a snake or frog is a girl that thinks snakes and frogs are cool.)

2. Blood. I'm female and a clutz... between the two, I generally stay pretty calm when I manage to start myself bleeding somehow (which has provided some amusing situations at a couple of my jobs.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #37
Lazy Bee

I just discovered I'm scared of Crunchy in milk's avatar. It gives me the creeps! What is it?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #38
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
3. Telephones.
That's funny- I was just thinking of starting up a thread about telephone conversations. I guess I'll have to do that now.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #39
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Some sort of Aussie elf, I'd suppose.

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 06-09-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #40
delusions of adequacy

Aw don't be like that... [lecherous gaze] such a pretty girl.. give us a kiss [rushes madly like a love stricken fool at you].

Its PIGSY! The original drunken letch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey....C4.81ji.C3.A8

I'm the complete opposite to him (apart from being even more lazy than he is) but he was always my favourite character in the TV series (how I first learned of him) and later the original chinese novel (2340+ page long).

Sticking to the topic though:

I'm afraid of Comets - One will inevitably slip past Jupiter. Again.

I'm afraid of Flip-Flops - The impending reversal of the earths magnetic field (we are well overdue) which will at the very least lead to climate change a greenie couldn't imagine and would prefer to believe is a result of man-made greenhouse gases (please).

I'm afraid of the utter insignificance of mankind in comparison to the universe(s) in which we live. And yet strangely I cannot commit to being a 'Dice-Man'.

Similarly I can never play Dungeon's and Dragons because I am deathly afraid of rolling a '1' (automatic fail).

I'm afraid that one day Cigarettes will no longer exist. And then what will we do with no more "gravel filled" male voices to do movie trailer voice overs?