Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   The Grammar Nazi Thread (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/18307-grammar-nazi-thread.html)

jacog 12-30-2006 01:23 PM

The Grammar Nazi Thread

You know who you are. Step forward. Is it an illness or just a higher sense of perfection when it comes to the simple mastery of one's language.

Me... well, probably bordering on illness.

Any of you want to confess how much of a grammar fiend you are? And what gets you most?

Things that just bug me...

- When people replace words with ones that are phonetically similar, but wrong. "I was out in the rain two long and now I am a little horse."
- Gratuitous use of apostrophe's where they dont belong, and vice versa.
- Forums that R up 2 ur i-ballz in chatspeak and l33t 5p33k.

... you get the idea.

I am a particularly bad one though, since I can't resist taking pictures of bad spelling and grammar that I see in public. Here are a few.

Trust these people to handle flammable liquids?
http://www.naturaltreasury.org/gramna/gn_ownrisk.jpg

For camping or misdemeanors?
http://www.naturaltreasury.org/gramna/gn_trial.jpg

OK, this sign is funny on many levels, but there is the wayward apostrophe.
http://www.naturaltreasury.org/gramna/gn_photos.jpg

Hammerite 12-30-2006 01:38 PM

ok i w'i'll tr'y two AV01D D01N9 73H 7H1'N95 wot ewe sa'id w'e should'nt due.

jacog 12-30-2006 01:46 PM

Thanx, my tite ass appresiate's it. :P

lumi 12-30-2006 01:46 PM

I hate Internet acronyms like BRB, and especially ones like IANAL.

I don't like seeing "weird" misspelled.

I don't bother correcting people's posts, though.

Jazhara7 12-30-2006 01:47 PM

I am giving permission to my journeyman grammar nazi Tibsie (RLacey) to step forward.

I am the head grammar nazi of these forums, responsible for reprimanding the newbies, and tutoring the next generation of grammar nazis for the greater good.

Pinksie (Pinkgothic) is the local spelling nazi.

The funny thing is, Tibsie is the only native speaker of English, while Pinksie and I are both German.

And there's too many things that annoy me. The odd apostrophe. "Their"/"They're" and similar crimes. "Then"/"Than". What I especially hate are "could of", "should of" and similar things instead of "could've"/"could have" and "should've"/"should have".
And I too hate seeing "weird" misspelled. Weird is what I am, it is like my middle name. If you misspell it, you insult me. You do *not* want to insult me.

So now you know my gripes. Do not commit any of those crimes, or other heinous acts against the English language, and we should get along just fine. If not...well, there's always Jazhara666 and her grammar nazi mallet torture squad.

>>>*pets her mallet* We never sleep, you know. *grins wickedly*<<<

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jacog 12-30-2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
And there's too many things that annoy me. The odd apostrophe. "Their"/"They're" and similar crimes. "Then"/"Than". What I especially hate are "could of", "should of" and similar things instead of "could've"/"could have" and "should've"/"should have"

Oh deary me yes. All of those. ( place manic laughter here )

And English is my second language also.

RLacey 12-30-2006 01:59 PM

Your all wrong. Bad grammer and spelling is grate.

Godfrey Christ 12-30-2006 02:00 PM

Can someone help me spell the following word: oihefipuhi?

Giligan 12-30-2006 02:06 PM

I can't stand reading misspelled or sloppily written posts, and as a result, I sometimes skip over them. Trying to convert a poor speller to your cause is like banging your head against a wall, as I've found out, and making my time on various Gears of War forums sometimes quite trying.

undeaf 12-30-2006 02:17 PM

Vell, az long as none of yeu bather me abaut typing mistaxes.

What's wrong with IANAL? Some people here would save a lot of typing with IANAF(or should that be IANAFB?)

And the title of this thread should be "Gramattik macht frei!"

Jelena 12-30-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 377193)
Trying to convert a poor speller to your cause is like banging your head against a wall, as I've found out,

Hey! I think Rob has done a pretty good job with me though. He used to comment on my spelling constantly when I was new here.
He doesn't anymore.
I'm not sure it's because I've improved or because he's realized I'm a hopeless case. ;)

Jazhara7 12-30-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 377193)
I can't stand reading misspelled or sloppily written posts, and as a result, I sometimes skip over them. Trying to convert a poor speller to your cause is like banging your head against a wall, as I've found out, and making my time on various Gears of War forums sometimes quite trying.

You cannot compare most game forums with AdventureGamers. We have a pretty high standard here. And as Jelensie said, not everyone is a hopeless case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeaf (Post 377196)
Vell, az long as none of yeu bather me abaut typing mistaxes.

What's wrong with IANAL? Some people here would save a lot of typing with IANAF(or should that be IANAFB?)

And the title of this thread should be "Gramattik macht frei!"

Actually, I think you mean to say "Grammatik macht frei!".

And I have no idea what IANAL or IANAF or IANAFB mean.

pinkgothic 12-30-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 377178)

:shifty: You must bleed for capitalising my name! I challenge your leadership position! I...!

*trails off*

:crazy: Let me try that again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 377178)

M'dear, I'm afraid you're using the wrong tense: "pinkgothic was the local spelling nazi". But I thank you for the honourable mention.

Giligan 12-30-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 377204)
You cannot compare most game forums with AdventureGamers. We have a pretty high standard here. And as Jelensie said, not everyone is a hopeless case.

True, but unfortunately, that usually seems to apply only to AG members who have been here a while. New recruits, if they happen to stick around, which they usually don't, are the ones I'm talking about here.

After a brisk nap 12-30-2006 02:41 PM

I think many people for whom English is a second language take spelling and grammar more seriously than native speakers, because we actually depend on the rules to help us write and read, while natives rely more on intuition. In contrast, I was never explicitly taught English punctuation. So not only do I place commas by gut feel myself, but if others punctuate incorrectly it doesn't bother me nearly as much. (Punctuation is quite flexible in British English, anyway--although somewhat more rigid in American.)

Jazhara7 12-30-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic (Post 377206)
:shifty: You must bleed for capitalising my name! I challenge your leadership position! I...!

*trails off*

:crazy: Let me try that again.

M'dear, I'm afraid you're using the wrong tense: "pinkgothic was the local spelling nazi". But I thank you for the honourable mention.

I was trying to lure you out of the woodwork. ;) And it seems to have worked, too!

What does that mean *WAS*? Even if you're gone, you are still honourable Spelling Nazi!

Oh, an do me a favour and drop by at the "Show yer Art" thread, and take a look at the priestess. It probably looks nothing like you, but somehow it always reminds me of you. So take a look at "Priestess Neike" (Inofficial nickname, nothing else! *hides*), okay? ;)

pinkgothic 12-30-2006 02:51 PM

@After a brisk nap:

English is my second language, but I grew up bilingually. I'm just a spelling nazi for semantic reasons (in those cases where words suddenly adopt a different meaning due to the misspelling) or aesthetic reasons - proper english is both visually pleasing and a treat for the ears.

For that reason, I forgive some things no other spelling nazi would, providing they don't violate either of the above. "Hesistant" instead of "hesitant", for example. "Editting" instead of "editing". "Convinience" instead of "convenience". Extra note: I used to write those incorrectly for a long time, too, which adds to my tolerance.

Equally, I have my favourite spelling variants if there are two or more correct ways of writing a word. For example: "eying" and "eyeing" are both correct. I prefer "eyeing", because it appeals to my eye (pun not intended) more.

pinkgothic 12-30-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 377210)
I was trying to lure you out of the woodwork. ;) And it seems to have worked, too!

How quaint. So, how would you like your nine whiplashes punishment? With time to fade, or all in one go?

Quote:

What does that mean *WAS*? Even if you're gone, you are still honourable Spelling Nazi!

It implies I'm still picking on people's spelling. Which I'm naught.
Psst. It's intentional.

Quote:

Oh, an[d] do me a favour and drop by at the "Show yer Art" thread, and take a look at the priestess. It probably looks nothing like you, but somehow it always reminds me of you. So take a look at "Priestess Neike" (Inofficial nickname, nothing else! *hides*), okay? ;)

*grumble, grumble*

undeaf 12-30-2006 03:03 PM

You shauldn't be getting so stressed about grammar. IANAD, but I think it's not good for your heart.

pinkgothic 12-30-2006 03:04 PM

@Jazhara7:

There.

*disappears back into the shadows*