Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Audio Files (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/18089-audio-files.html)

omloflump 12-08-2006 05:23 PM

Audio Files

All right, everyone, flop out your music for the benefit of Mr and Mrs Public — somewhat akin to "Show yer art". "Pimp My Band" would have been an apter, if cruder, title, but you get the point. If this has already been done, well it's being done again, so polish up those crude demos and link your unloved files. I shall even allow you to preface them with coyly self-deprecating comments.

Trumgottist 12-08-2006 05:43 PM

Ok...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 369731)
Here's one for RLacey: Away in a Manger (A recording from a New Year's Concert four years ago - arrangement by yours truly.) ;)

MoriartyL 12-09-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 368932)
Okay, I'm gonna give y'all a new piece, and I think you'll like it even if you didn't care for the last piece I put here at all, 'cause it's completely different in style. But first, let me tell you its story.

On September 11 of this year, I was doing nothing in particular on the computer, my mind wandering, when a theme came to me. Sort of a low cello theme, really, with a pretty indistinct rhythm. I tried playing it on the piano and it didn't sound right, so I did something I'd never tried before: I harmonized with the piano while singing the melody. Now, this was the sort of gorgeous theme that I just completely fell in love with, the sort of theme I didn't push to go anywhere because I was perfectly content with singing the same thing over and over and over. And so I did. It was the sort of theme I knew I wanted to remember forever and play over and over and over again for the rest of my life. I get pretty worked up about this stuff.

Then I left the house for an hour, humming to myself. When I came back, I sat at the piano and started playing, but it wasn't right! What I was playing didn't sound anything like what I remembered- I couldn't remember any of it! I became completely depressed, and sat around miserable for a few hours trying to remember how it went. My memory isn't good, you see, and I'd forgotten piano pieces I liked many times in the past. So I was very worried that I'd never get to sing it again. And I made a mental note that September 11 2006 was the day I forgot one of my favorite musical themes. I tried getting back to my computer, to do other things, but I couldn't concentrate on anything but the hole in my memory where the music had been. But I kept trying to remember anything substantial from the piece, and eventually I did. And it all came rushing back, and I played it and sang it over and over and over again.

I didn't develop the piece at all after that, because it didn't need to be developed at all. I just continued to repeat it. A little while later, I went to this guy with recording equipment to record a bunch of my pieces on an electronic piano. I'd been planning on doing that for a while, though I hadn't played on an electronic piano in years, and certainly never for the purpose of any sort of recording. Well, as I was there recording for two hours altogether, I decided I wanted to do something with my latest theme. So I played a duet with myself: First I played a harmony with the piano voice, deciding as I went along what the melody would sound like later. Then, remembering what I'd decided, I played the melody in a strings voice while listening to the piano so that I could play along. It'd been much too long a time since I had the opportunity to improvise a duet with someone else, and this was almost as satisfying. I was really just experimenting, with no idea of how it'd sound in the end, but I felt that the very first try was very successful. It's extremely imprecise and chaotic, and I actually think that adds to its charm. You can decide for yourself.

Sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 369093)
Quality-wise, this is what I'm most proud of from that recording session, but if you like I'll give you two more. The first one is to make up for the lousy quality of the last time I posted the same piece here, and the second is a fairly simple classical piece I played with the piano+strings voice combo. Yes, I know that that's not professional, but it's very fitting here. Anyway:

Prism

A Sixth, Faintly

By the way, I'd be curious to know how you'd classify my style. I listen to very little music, so I don't have any points of reference.

And because none of the three are bombastic enough to go in a thread which has been described as "Pimp My Band", I'll add in a fourth:

The Tempest

RLacey 12-09-2006 01:58 PM

I don't have a band, but you can hear some absolutely dreadful Christmas Carol arrangements by yours truly in last year's seminal Christmas Quest.

Trumgottist 12-09-2006 03:20 PM

I like your stuff, Mory.

It should be more bombastic? Well, then here is We Wish You a Merry Christmas. This is what I do for a living - it's my pupils playing. I did the arrangement because our tuba player complains (understandably) about uninteresting tuba parts.

Jelena 12-10-2006 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 372012)
IIt should be more bombastic? Well, then here is We Wish You a Merry Christmas. This is what I do for a living - it's my pupils playing. I did the arrangement because our tuba player complains (understandably) about uninteresting tuba parts.

That's lovely Trumgottist! I bet the parents in the audience were proud.
Both my children used to play (violin and piano) in the municipal music school of our town. Sadly they both have quit the music now. I tried to force them into continue playing, but that doesn't work. :frown: ;)
My son did some rock'n'roll last year in a school band called The Romantic Mushrooms. Not anymore though.

Eureka 12-10-2006 10:05 PM

I don't have a band either, but i'm pretty good with guitar hero.

Squinky 12-10-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 372012)
I did the arrangement because our tuba player complains (understandably) about uninteresting tuba parts.

As someone who knows firsthand how uninteresting tuba parts tend to be, I thank you. :D

Now, maybe once I make it back home, I'll track down some recordings of me playing Rhapsody in Blue and Sing, Sing, Sing in a symphonic band back in 2001. And, of course, for music I've composed, you have but to play one of my games...

omloflump 12-10-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 372295)
And, of course, for music I've composed, you have but to play one of my games...

Hey, does this look like "Pimp My Games"? No? Good, 'cause it isn't.

So far I'm yet to hear anyone waver a sleeve-hearted note from their own cords. "This is a tubafied Christmas carol." "This is some background music or other I used in a computer game." Pah! Where's all the, "This is an insider's perspective on the outside world, as rendered by my unique guitar stylings and woefully unschooled voice."? Or better yet, "This is a song I wrote for all the people at Adventure Gamers who've been nice to me over the years — thanks, guys!". I mean, come on. I can't compile the AG Songbook with nothing but instrumentals.

Squinky 12-10-2006 11:14 PM

Well, where's your contribution?

omloflump 12-10-2006 11:20 PM

I don't see anyone else making snide remarks.

MoriartyL 12-11-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omloflump (Post 372304)
So far I'm yet to hear anyone waver a sleeve-hearted note from their own cords. "This is a tubafied Christmas carol." "This is some background music or other I used in a computer game." Pah! Where's all the, "This is an insider's perspective on the outside world, as rendered by my unique guitar stylings and woefully unschooled voice."? Or better yet, "This is a song I wrote for all the people at Adventure Gamers who've been nice to me over the years — thanks, guys!". I mean, come on. I can't compile the AG Songbook with nothing but instrumentals.

Well, I'm so sorry that my music doesn't fit into your "songbook", jerk! :(

Jelena 12-11-2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 372341)
Well, I'm so sorry that my music doesn't fit into your "songbook", jerk! :(

Mory, I wouldn't waste any energy. I don't think he's being serious with that quote. I guess it amuses him (and probably only him) to post stuff like that.

omloflump 12-11-2006 05:06 PM

No, I wasn't being serious at all — apologies for offending you. I was jokingly trying to see if anyone would post something with singing (which I thought wasn't going to happen that much even when I first started the thread). I'm not making a songbook. Any audio's fine with me (hence the title). I just thought my joke was more obvious than it turned out to be, so apologies again.

Tiocfaidh 12-12-2006 02:44 AM

I´ll post one of my songs in a couple of days.
The recording is sub-par.

Recorded the guitars and the voice with Audacity and a low quality mic but I´ll post it anyway.

The recording dates from April and my "singin" won´t win me any awards :)
It´s just a demo and I´d prefer finding a real singer hence I could concentrate on playing the guitar.

A request:

Please suggest a reliable 100% free webstorage.
I won´t need more than 15 MB.
Probably 10 could be enough.

Thanks in advance !

omloflump 12-12-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh (Post 372607)
Recorded the guitars and the voice with Audacity and a low quality mic but I´ll post it anyway.

Low quality mic? Check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh
The recording dates from April and my "singin" won´t win me any awards :)

Voice destined to never win any awards? Check.

Quote:

It´s just a demo and I´d prefer finding a real singer hence I could concentrate on playing the guitar.

Here's where we deviate. I'm stubbornly sticking with my lacklustre throat and I'd prefer it if people didn't concentrate on my guitar playing.

Quote:

A request:

Please suggest a reliable 100% free webstorage.
I won´t need more than 15 MB.
Probably 10 could be enough.

Thanks in advance !

http://fileupyours.com/

There are many similar services, but that's the one I use at the moment. Accounts never expire so long as you log on at least once every thirty days (or something like that). It's 100MB, so that should be enough.

Tiocfaidh 12-13-2006 02:45 AM

Thanks !

I´ll load the file up.

It should be downloadable tomorrow (at the latest)

Tiocfaidh 12-20-2006 09:06 AM

OK, I have my account for a couple of days now but even after several attempts I didn´t receive the e-mail notification :frusty:

Any other free file storage sites out there ?

omloflump 12-20-2006 04:54 PM

I found this at random http://www.freeuploader.com/ but here's a link to a list of them as well: http://www.thefreecountry.com/webhosting/freefilehosting.shtml

Hammerite 12-21-2006 07:54 AM

expect around 20 minutes of my self-made sonic weirdness at some point.
i do warn you though, none of it is really that good. ;)