You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Is PS3 worth more than a person's life?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Slim Shady

Default Is PS3 worth more than a person's life?

Sad news.What's your opinion about it?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #2

Yeah, I read that news report on Gamespot yesterday, and it was definitely sad. I can't believe that someone would stoop so low to rob a person of his newly bought Playstation 3, and then get shot by the Police when they have a search warrant to inspect his place.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #3

I think the question is did the police have reason to shoot him or were they overreating? Yes, robbery is stupid, but it could've been anything other than a PS3 and the question would still stand.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
I've come for the fork!

Wow. That's effed up. They even shot his dog? That cop must have been waiting in line for a PS3 too and didn't get one.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdriller View Post
Wow. That's effed up. They even shot his dog? That cop must have been waiting in line for a PS3 too and didn't get one.
I know that I shouldn´t have laughed ...

But I did !
Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I can't believe that someone would stoop so low to rob a person of his newly bought Playstation 3, and then get shot by the Police when they have a search warrant to inspect his place.
Yea, damn that guy for getting shot by the police. What a bastard.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Lovable rogue

I don't really feel bad about this.

Once someone decides it is acceptable to steal out of choice and not necessity, they're a fundamentally broken individual who will only ever be a detriment to society.

Good riddance I say.

I'd almost feel bad for the dog, but I don't like Alsatians - vicious creatures.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Slim Shady

The police apparently shot the guy for no apparent reason and this is not acceptable at all.
Btw who changed the title of the thread?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-06-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yini View Post
I think the question is did the police have reason to shoot him or were they overreating? Yes, robbery is stupid, but it could've been anything other than a PS3 and the question would still stand.
I agree. It really could've been anything - a Beanie Baby or a Cabbage Patch doll, for example. But how much of the actual story do the press - and we by extenstion - know?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I don't really feel bad about this.

Once someone decides it is acceptable to steal out of choice and not necessity, they're a fundamentally broken individual who will only ever be a detriment to society.

Good riddance I say.

I'd almost feel bad for the dog, but I don't like Alsatians - vicious creatures.
Are you serious? It's OK to kill someone as long as they've somehow broken the rules of society? It isn't right to kill someone who killed someone else, let alone someone who committed a grand theft (we don't know why he did it, nor if there was a chance of learning from his mistake, nor if he somehow provoked the police into firing). Human lives are worth more than PS3s.

Perhaps you're being sarcastic and I missed the humor (other than the dog part).
Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #11

What I think is sad is that this guy, along with three other guys, stole a PS3, ends up shot by the police, his roommate says he was unarmed, and the first thing everybody is doing is talking bad about the police? Does it not occur to anyone that of COURSE his roommates will say he was unarmed? Maybe the roommates were in on the theft?

Police don't just knock on a door and start shooting people before they even get to it for no reason. Something extra happened here. Maybe it was a misunderstanding and the police ARE at fault, I don't know, but there's no way I'm going to take the guy's roommate's word at face value.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
merely human

Was it proven that this guy is one of those who stole the PS3?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Was it proven that this guy is one of those who stole the PS3?
That's a good question, trep, and it makes me wonder whether or not this person was really one of the guys who stole the PS3.

I personally believe that Police Officers would never kill someone unless he or she was forced to. The only thing I can think of why this happened is that the guy must've had a scuffle with the police officers, or maybe provoked them.

This is just guessing in my part, so we'll have to learn more about this to see if I was right.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #14

All this focus on that PS3 totally distorts the story, this wasn't just a theft, it was a robbery, and they broke the guy's jaw. It's really pathetic when people see anything like this as "$x worth of theft" and can't see the difference between hospitalizing someone to take their ps3, shoplifting a ps3, and copying 10 ps3 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroeski View Post
Police don't just knock on a door and start shooting people before they even get to it for no reason.
Why not? Cops are human, and I'm not aware of any mind control or mind reading devices they have to prevent thugs and psychopaths from becoming cops. And if the those cops are murderers, it's no more far fetched to consider that they might have murdered someone they knew was uninvolwed in this. Not to mention that they could have made a mistake.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #15

^ Agreed.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
Citizen of Bizarro World

The title of this thread made me think a person got killed in a PS3 robbery attempt.

A more appropriate title may have been "Is a PS3 worth throwing one's life away?"
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
is not wierd

Either way, clearly what's happened here, if the story we have is more or less straight, shows how much people suck. Reminds me of A Short Film About Killing - dude kills a guy almost at random (for his car), gets arrested and is given the death penalty, and is killed just as brutally but by the state. Unless the kid had a gun pointed at one of the officers, I don't believe there was any reason to kill him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
A more appropriate title may have been "Is a PS3 worth throwing one's life away?"
I don't like the sound of it because that makes it sound like it was his fault he died.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 AM   #18
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Are you serious? It's OK to kill someone as long as they've somehow broken the rules of society? It isn't right to kill someone who killed someone else, let alone someone who committed a grand theft (we don't know why he did it, nor if there was a chance of learning from his mistake, nor if he somehow provoked the police into firing). Human lives are worth more than PS3s.

Perhaps you're being sarcastic and I missed the humor (other than the dog part).
I'm very serious.

For most people, the reason they do not steal is that they have a moral compass that tells them it is wrong, and this is enough to keep them from doing so. In criminals this moral compass is absent, and thus they have nothing to prevent them from thieving. Prison is not a deterrent, you can lock them up as many times as you like, and statistics show in the vast majority of cases they will be reoffending straight away.
These people are broken, and will never be valuable members of society.

That said, I do not condone the actions of the police in this instance. I am a strong supporter of law and order, and believe everyone deserves a fair trial, not summary "justice" handed out Judge Dredd style.

I have zero tolerance for criminals, and favour a three-strikes law like they have in California. Once a criminal has shown their intention to keep reoffending, they should be locked up permanently. I'm also not particularly in favour of the death penalty, I'd rather these people were forced to work off their debt to society, rather than get the easy way out.

My point is though, assuming this individual was the perpetrator of the crime in question, I feel absolutely no sorrow for the death of a man who would brutally beat and rob an innocent law abiding citizen.
This man made his bed, and now he has to lie in it - six feet under in a pine box.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #19
Slim Shady

Well then we instead of sending people to prisons we better send them to gas rooms that would save us from lot of trouble or better we shoot them right after trial , man there are some serious fascists around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
That's a good question, trep, and it makes me wonder whether or not this person was really one of the guys who stole the PS3.

I personally believe that Police Officers would never kill someone unless he or she was forced to. The only thing I can think of why this happened is that the guy must've had a scuffle with the police officers, or maybe provoked them.

This is just guessing in my part, so we'll have to learn more about this to see if I was right.
You're probably wrong.There are many examples of Police violence and such . Nobody's an angel and wearing a uniform doesn't change that.Don't be so naive.

Quote:
Yea, damn that guy for getting shot by the police. What a bastard.
Yeah how could he do that?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-07-2006 at 05:16 AM. Reason: merged
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
I don't like the sound of it because that makes it sound like it was his fault he died.
It may not have been his fault, but he wasn't killed for a PS3. Clearly, a trigger-happy policeman is afraid for his life, not out to execute PS3 robbers.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem