You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Is PS3 worth more than a person's life?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #21
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I don't really feel bad about this.

Once someone decides it is acceptable to steal out of choice and not necessity, they're a fundamentally broken individual who will only ever be a detriment to society.

Good riddance I say.

I'd almost feel bad for the dog, but I don't like Alsatians - vicious creatures.

Agreed. However, I like alsatians and so mourn the little tykes death
Old 12-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #22
Party On Dudes

we're living in a police state. people are expendible.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #23
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I'm very serious.

For most people, the reason they do not steal is that they have a moral compass that tells them it is wrong, and this is enough to keep them from doing so. In criminals this moral compass is absent, and thus they have nothing to prevent them from thieving. Prison is not a deterrent, you can lock them up as many times as you like, and statistics show in the vast majority of cases they will be reoffending straight away.
These people are broken, and will never be valuable members of society.
I disagree completely in that all criminals "broken," we don't know why this kid stole the PS3 or broke the guy's jaw; we don't know what he's like or if his family would say he's a good kid. Typically if the people are "broken" it's because of a bad environment when growing up/schooling and not because they're inherantly depraved. Excepting matters of mental faculties, people are driven to do bad deeds, they don't just commit them for the sake of doing it. Also, "moral" is not equivalent to "law-abiding."

Quote:
That said, I do not condone the actions of the police in this instance. I am a strong supporter of law and order, and believe everyone deserves a fair trial, not summary "justice" handed out Judge Dredd style.
I agree. I feel like this incident was just a mistake committed by one police officer, perhaps an undisciplined one, and that he should probably be forgiven.

Quote:
I have zero tolerance for criminals, and favour a three-strikes law like they have in California. Once a criminal has shown their intention to keep reoffending, they should be locked up permanently. I'm also not particularly in favour of the death penalty, I'd rather these people were forced to work off their debt to society, rather than get the easy way out.
Hmm, again, I find that particularly cruel. Zero tolerance in anything just shows a lack of compassion. Also, the reason the death penalty is wrong is not because it's an "easy way out," but because it calls into question the "morals" of the state, eye for an eye and all that, but I do agree that it is wrong.

Quote:
My point is though, assuming this individual was the perpetrator of the crime in question, I feel absolutely no sorrow for the death of a man who would brutally beat and rob an innocent law abiding citizen.
I'm sorry but I just don't think battery/robbery is equivalent to death. There were better ways to handle this. I don't know the kid and I don't know the robbery victim and I don't know the police officer(s) that fired, but when it comes to a man's life I say you have to know EVERYTHING to be able to reasonably condemn him.

Quote:
This man made his bed, and now he has to lie in it - six feet under in a pine box.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #24
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ironic how that is also an absolute statement there, Obi-Wan.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #25
is not wierd

George Lucas wrote it, not me. But point stands.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #26
Sensei

I'm gonna go out on a limb here an assume that this guy was a typical immature bully prick in school and that he wanted a PS3 only so that he could either sell it or use it to play some mindles FPS that so many of these frat-fucks enjoy playing.

Conclusion: Mourning the death of one of those so called "people" is like mourning the death of an insect.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
is not wierd

What gives you the right to assume anything about his character?

Secondly, are you saying there isn't anything possibly redeeming in a "bully prick"?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #28
Sensei

What gives me the right? Well not only did the guy steal the PS3 but he um....BROKE THE VICTIMS JAW! Criminals like that are usually the types who barely have the intelligence to spell the word "decency", so they go through life hitting things and hope for the best. These people need to be eliminated.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
OUATIJ Creator

Oddly enough, I have zero tolerance on a few things, but when I got the Myers-Briggs test done by a psychologist about 10 years ago, they found that compassion was one of my greatest attributes, heh. Something doesn't add up...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #30
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relek View Post
What gives me the right? Well not only did the guy steal the PS3 but he um....BROKE THE VICTIMS JAW! Criminals like that are usually the types who barely have the intelligence to spell the word "decency", so they go through life hitting things and hope for the best. These people need to be eliminated.
You have a real narrow view of humanity if you think one incident in the man's life summarizes his entire existence. Again, what gives you the right to judge him? As I can see it, none of us know shit about him at the moment.

Also, how is he also not a victim? One man's jaw broken and his PS3 is stolen, one man is killed (and we don't know what happened there), which even the law says is not fitting punishment for his crimes.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #31

Quote:
we don't know what he's like or if his family would say he's a good kid.
Actually, there are some people's testimonies about that in links going from that page. It's the cops we know nothing about due to a publication ban on anything about them.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #32
Sensei

Quote:
You have a real narrow view of humanity if you think one incident in the man's life summarizes his entire existence. Again, what gives you the right to judge him? As I can see it, none of us know shit about him at the moment.

Also, how is he also not a victim? One man's jaw broken and his PS3 is stolen, one man is killed (and we don't know what happened there), which even the law says is not fitting punishment for his crimes.
Yes, yes I do have a narrow view of humanity, I wasn't always this intolerant and judgemental, I started out in life being open minded and treating every single person like an individual, but I've found that many people are actually stereotypical. Don't get me wrong, I'm angry that the cops were acting like trigger-happy fools, I'm just saying that I'm shedding no tears for the guy who got shot, if he hadn't committed the crime the cops wouldn't have come after him in the first place.

(Still feeling bad about that dog though, poor little bugger )
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #33
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relek View Post
...I'm just saying that I'm shedding no tears for the guy who got shot, if he hadn't committed the crime the cops wouldn't have come after him in the first place.
I'm still waiting to find out if he, in fact, was one of the men involved in the robbery and beating.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #34
Slim Shady

If he were black I bet the situation would be more controversial.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #35
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
If he were black I bet the situation would be more controversial.
Really?

I bet you if it was Oprah "Oreo" Winfrey it would be more controversial.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
You're probably wrong.There are many examples of Police violence and such . Nobody's an angel and wearing a uniform doesn't change that.Don't be so naive.
I'm not really sure what naive means, Solid. I understand definitely that nobody's an angel though, and wearing a uniform certainly doesn't change that. I'm just hoping you aren't trashing what I said on my earlier post.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #37
Banned User

I just see this as another example of police brutality.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #38
Slim Shady

Update
Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #39
is not wierd

Quote:
In a dramatic turn of events, murder charges against Long have been dismissed, after the grand jury foreman admitted to incorrectly checking the wrong box that would decide Long's fate.

Upon hearing the news, Strickland's parents released the following statement: "Yesterday, our son's murderer was going to have to answer for what he did. Today, we just don't know what is going on in Wilmington. We are upset, confused and searching for answers."
Checked the wrong box? What?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #40
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Well, this thread is oddly interesting - lots of people who are very quick to judge the police, and at the same time oddly unwilling to allow anyone to judge the person who was shot.

So, I'm confused; can someone perhaps tell me what the stance is? Is consensus that judging people based on a single action is wrong - or not?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢