You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #3661
Game Creator Hobbyist

1. Professional
2. Clean
3. Live

(Clarification: I like professional recordings of live concerts.)

B. Making a music video?

--

1. Regarding YouTube-videos, what kind of videos do you like the most?
2. What kind of videos do you watch the most?
3. How do you find them? (By which I mean: Do you search for videos, get the links for friends, or…?)

Last edited by Trumgottist; 03-01-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #3662
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
3. How do you find them? (By which I mean: Do you search for videos, get the links for friends, or…?)
1. Music videos, and the occasional lefty-liberal rah rah bit.
2. Music videos.
3. Most of them are pretty average, but I've found some that look as good as they sound.

And yes, I was making a music video, Trum. I'm also making songs using versions of those lyrics I wrote for your class way back when. Can't wait to share them with you, when the songs are ready.

1) Have you ever read and enjoyed a comic book/graphic novel/manga/bande desinee/fumetti? What was it?
2) Have you ever had an idea for a story that you thought would be a great novel if you could write it? What was it (short version; I'm not looking for novel ideas. Got too many of my own. Just want to hear what other people think would be a cool novel to read).
3) Have you ever written a song? Is it recorded? Is it online? Can I hear it?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #3663
kamikaze hummingbirds

I read a few Discworld adaptations in graphic novel form, 'Guards Guards' and 'The Light Fantastic'. Enjoyed them both quite a lot, graphic novels/comic books are something I keep meaning to check out more.

I've had some; most recently I'd thought about something (pretentious alert) based on Jean Baudrillard's idea of the Gulf War having been a media event; going into detail about a group whose job it is to present a war via the media through extremely exaggerated satirical ways (not a very developed idea, but I'd thought of a few things involving a war being focus grouped into existence).

I've made a few that I've uploaded onto my Soundcloud... and one that was released recently on a weblabel's compilation EP thing. Sort of lo-fi stuff, I hope to make much more soon (possibly with me singing really badly).

___

Forgot my questions!!

1. Does knowing that a film, game, or TV show is developed by an 'auteur' rather than a nonspecific team make it appeal to you more?

2. What's a new thing you've tried recently (definition of thing is extremely broad here!)?

3. What's a new thing you want to try this year? (again, broad definition)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #3664
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
And yes, I was making a music video, Trum. I'm also making songs using versions of those lyrics I wrote for your class way back when. Can't wait to share them with you, when the songs are ready.
I'll be looking forward to that.

Quote:
1) Have you ever read and enjoyed a comic book/graphic novel/manga/bande desinee/fumetti? What was it?
2) Have you ever had an idea for a story that you thought would be a great novel if you could write it? What was it (short version; I'm not looking for novel ideas. Got too many of my own. Just want to hear what other people think would be a cool novel to read).
1. Several. Bone comes immediately to mind.
2. No. Good story ideas is something that I have a shortage of. (That's the main thing stopping me from making another game.)
3. Yes. Most of it is in my games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
1. Does knowing that a film, game, or TV show is developed by an 'auteur' rather than a nonspecific team make it appeal to you more?

2. What's a new thing you've tried recently (definition of thing is extremely broad here!)?

1. Maybe - it depends. (Sorry for the vague answer.)
2. Plants vs Zombies (yes, I'm late to the party) - I bought it in a Steam sale and I'm hooked.
3. Falling in love?

--

1. How should I have phrased question 3 in my previous post to avoid it being misunderstood? (Sometimes, English is difficult.)
2. What's a thing you'd like to be better at?
3. What are you doing about that?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #3665
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
1. Depends on the auteur, but yeah, generally, I prefer creations that strongly represent one Creative's vision.
2. Video Editing.
3. I want to try to make one interactive story. I'm still trying to figure out how.

Quote:
1. How should I have phrased question 3 in my previous post to avoid it being misunderstood? (Sometimes, English is difficult.)
1. 'How do you find the kinds of videos you usually watch?'
2. Making money from my creative work.
3. Not enough, it seems. I'm self-publishing my ebooks online, selling art online, selling tee shirts online, making music which I'm still giving away fro free at the moment, and promoting all of these regularly. And yet, I am still not making any money, really. Admittedly, I am still waiting for forms from Smashwords so I can get an American tax number, so I can get the money they owe me, but I haven't received anything from RedBubble either, and I've sold a few tee shirts for them. Truth to tell, I'm exhausted from all of the self-promo I've been doing.

1) What was your first impression of the whole Kony2012 controversy?
2) If your nation's government was suspected of having stolen the election that put them in power, would you want them overthrown and another general election called, or would you rather just let it ride and pray it doesn't happen again?
3) If your city was NOT taking part in any protests going on to, say, overthrow your government, would you stage a protest yourself, or just go to the nearest city that was having one?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #3666
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. The what? (You don't have to answer that, by the way; I have Wikipedia. However, you did ask for my first impression.)
2. The key word is "suspected", and much as I dislike Harper, I'd prefer a proper investigation of those charges before selecting either of the above options.
3. If I were to stage a protest, or anything for that matter, no one would show up. Hence, I'd a) convince a more-extroverted-than-I friend or three to do the protest-staging and offer to help, or b) go to the nearest city, either option preferably with a band in tow, because protests are more fun when you get to make noise.

---

1. How often do you answer yes/no questions with a paragraph answer?
2. How often do you answer essay questions with a yes/no answer?
3. How often do you treat "X or Y" questions as inclusive or, rather than the often-implied exclusive or?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #3667
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. The what? (You don't have to answer that, by the way; I have Wikipedia. However, you did ask for my first impression.)
2. The key word is "suspected", and much as I dislike Harper, I'd prefer a proper investigation of those charges before selecting either of the above options.
3. If I were to stage a protest, or anything for that matter, no one would show up. Hence, I'd a) convince a more-extroverted-than-I friend or three to do the protest-staging and offer to help, or b) go to the nearest city, either option preferably with a band in tow, because protests are more fun when you get to make noise.

---

3. How often do you treat "X or Y" questions as inclusive or, rather than the often-implied exclusive or?
1. Sometimes. Probably more often than I ought to. It's really down to timing and mood. If I'm busy, I'll stick to taciturn answers, but if it's important for me to explain a point, I'll do it whether it's desired or not.
2. See 1.
3. Whenever the mood to articulate strikes me, particularly if both choices seem logical to me.

1) Would you ask for money from strangers?
2) Would you sacrifice your potential readership by asking for money?
3) Would you throw away years of work and credibility if your bills were getting so far out of your control that the only thing you could think of was to plead for people to try reading your books or downloading your music?

Bonus question: Guess where Lee's mind is lately.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #3668
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
3) Would you throw away years of work and credibility if your bills were getting so far out of your control that the only thing you could think of was to plead for people to try reading your books or downloading your music?

Bonus question: Guess where Lee's mind is lately.
[Disclaimer - although I guess that these questions are very personal in nature and particular to Lee, I have answered them in terms of what I would do, not necessarily what I think someone else should do. My answers may or may not apply to Lee's situation to varying degrees, or at all].

1. Depends. For investment for something, yes. Otherwise I would go to family and friends first, strangers would be a last resort but it would depend on how desperate I was.

2. Depends, depends, depends. Not unless I had exhausted all other avenues and thought that I might actually get something from potential readers.

3. No. However, that does not mean that I would change nothing. I would get a job - any job - (although very difficult at the moment) and make sure that the financial bases were as near to covered as I could. I would then hope that that would fund my creative work giving me options. If it takes off then great, bye bye day job, but otherwise earn money and keep creative work and credibility on the backburner until financially able to put more time into it. So, tldr; Job first priority, creative stuff second, hopefully to become first later on.

Bonus - in a difficult place but hopefully still in his head!

Same questions.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #3669
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
1. Only if they asked me to get naked for them.
2. Pfft, like anyone actually reads the articles.
3. I can take your work and credibility if you don't want it. Goodness knows I need some.

(Sorry for being so glib, by the way. You know I'm sympathetic and happy to help in any way I can.)

---

1. What are your preferred pronouns?
2. Are the pronouns you prefer the same ones that were used to refer to you when you were born?
3. Does being referred to by different pronouns than the ones you prefer bother you?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #3670
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
2. Are the pronouns you prefer the same ones that were used to refer to you when you were born?
3. Does being referred to by different pronouns than the ones you prefer bother you?
1. I've been wanting to answer these questions for weeks, but I just can't. I don't have preferred pronouns. They're all just tools to me. I note with embarrassment that most English-first-language people I know prefer masculine pronouns, but writing things like Dreamtropolis Fallen has made me highly aware of gendered pronouns, so I usually only resort to commonplace pronoun usage when dealing with people who don't get it and who get confused when I try alternative pronouns in their place. I think the one pronoun I wish were in greater use is the word IS to define whatever creator deity may or may not have had something to do with this existence. The whole masculine/feminine/neuter debate leaves a funny taste in my mouth, but 'Is', though odd in this place, sums it up nicer. I credit it to Richard Bach.
2. Not really.
3. Not really, though it sometimes throws me off for a second. Doesn't happen very often. What used to make me giggle was guys seeing me from the back and whistling, doubtless because of my long hair and my then-rather pert bottom.

1) Have you seen any of my art?
2) Have you listened to any of my music?
3) Have you read any of my fiction?

I apologize for being self-involved today. I'm trying to get my head back in a workspace, and that requires bolstering my mood.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #3671
It's Hard To Be Humble

Okay, I'll admit, those were trick questions. Let's have three questions people can actually answer:
1) Do you believe in an afterlife?
2) Do you think every religion has it's own afterlife, or do you think that only the righteous of one faith will be saved?
3) Do you think there is only one supreme being, or do you think there is a multiplicity of deities who serve their people?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #3672
Lazy Bee

Quote:
2) Do you think every religion has it's own afterlife, or do you think that only the righteous of one faith will be saved?
3) Do you think there is only one supreme being, or do you think there is a multiplicity of deities who serve their people?
1. Nope.
2. I believe everyone who anticipate an afterlife will be disappointed. Not that they'll know of course.
3. No such thing actually.

---------
1. Is religion important to you?
2. What religion is most interesting to you?
3. How do you feel about attending a religious ceremony?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #3673
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. Yes. I'm a Christian, so it only makes sense that the fact that I believe in God has consequences. (If I believe that God exists, it would be extremely foolish of me to not take that in account when I decide how I live my life.)
2. See above.
3. To me, it's a natural part of life.

--

1. Why don't you listen more to (live) music? (I heard Bobby McFerrin live yesterday! It was as great as I'd expected.)
2. At what time of day do you feel the most creative?
3. (And I'll pass along one of Jelena's questions too: ) Is religion important to you?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #3674
Lazy Bee

Quote:
1. Why don't you listen more to (live) music? (I heard Bobby McFerrin live yesterday! It was as great as I'd expected.)
3. (And I'll pass along one of Jelena's questions too: ) Is religion important to you?
1. Pure laziness I'm sad to say. I often see ads for concerts I'd love to go see, but end up not to.
2. In the morning although I'm not a morning person per se. This weekend I've forced myself to get up at 7.00 am by help of alarm clock in order to get things done at home.
3. No I don't think much about it besides from what I read and see in the news.

-------------------

1. What was the last live music experience you've had? (And singing in the bath tub does not count. )
2. How do feel about getting up early in the morning?
3. What does religion mean to you?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #3675
tsa
Playing character

1. That was in the hospital when a patient played the piano. He was very good at it and didn't play the standard Für Elise and other stuff. I enjoyed it immensely.

2. Noooooooooo!!! Nine o'clock is early enough, certainly in my current situation.

3. I'm a bit ambivalent about religion. I'm an atheist myself but I find it interesting to listen to people who talk about their beliefs and what they mean to them. All religions are of course developed by people over the years and since people are complicated creatures religion is also complicated.

---

1. Do you feel that now you get older you need walkthroughs more?

2. Does it bother you that you can not do the things anymore that you took for granted in your youth?

3. When you started your first job, did you feel the responsibility to take care of yourself financially as a burden?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3676
Unreliable Narrator

1. Nope. I need them about the same amount as I did when I was younger.
2. I'm actually struggling to think of things I can't do now that I could when I was younger. I feel like I can do more, if anything. (Then again, I'm still arguably young by many definitions.)
3. No, for me it was the complete opposite: it was freeing to take care of myself financially because then I didn't have to be a burden on other people anymore.

---

1. If your life had a narrator, in what style would the narration be? (e.g. omniscient, limited omniscient, first person, etc.)
2. If the narrator of your life spoke, whose voice would they have?
3. If your life had background music, what would it be?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #3677
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. No.
2. Ancient religions (i.e. mythology) intrigue me a little.
3. Ambivalent to slightly reluctant, but I can handle it for loved ones.

Quote:
1. Why don't you listen more to (live) music?
3. Is religion important to you?
1. Money and time, more or less in that order.
2. Whenever my wife isn't calling on me to do errands and such.
3. No. It used to be, but I think I'm an atheist these days.

Quote:
1. What was the last live music experience you've had?
2. How do feel about getting up early in the morning?
3. What does religion mean to you?
1. I heard a handful of great musical acts last summer at the Festival of Friends. Highlights for me were The Tea Party, Saga, and Jon Anderson.
2. I do it most mornings, thanks to bipolar disorder. I'm ambivalent to it, because it's too early for me to start doing any work.
3. Trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. Do you feel that now you get older you need walkthroughs more?
2. Does it bother you that you can not do the things anymore that you took for granted in your youth?
3. When you started your first job, did you feel the responsibility to take care of yourself financially as a burden?
1. I don't think it's age-related, but my anxiety has made it harder for me to play games than it used to be. that said, I think I use walkthroughs about as often as I used to.
2. Yes. I miss my counter tenor vocal range and my libido.
3. My first job was babysitting in my early teens, but my first official employment was around sixteen, working in a factory. I still lived at home, and was really only expected to chip in around the house, so much of it was spent on music. Responsibility is something I had from late childhood, helping to raise my brother and sister.

Quote:
1. If your life had a narrator, in what style would the narration be? (e.g. omniscient, limited omniscient, first person, etc.)
2. If the narrator of your life spoke, whose voice would they have?
3. If your life had background music, what would it be?
1. If? You mean that mysterious voice I keep hearing isn't real?
2. If I can't be my own narrator, I want the job to go to Bruce Campbell. He's got enough chin for both of us.
3. I like to think it would be a progressive rock soundtrack. I suspect it would be Yakkity Sax.

1) Do you like going outside when it's raining?
2) Do you like going outside when it's really hot and sunny?
3) So you like going outside when it's snowing?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #3678
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
1) Do you like going outside when it's raining?
2) Do you like going outside when it's really hot and sunny?
3) So you like going outside when it's snowing?
1) Yes!
2) I'm not really built for too much heat and sun. Love it in reasonable amounts, but …
3) Sure! And then I like coming back inside again. Maybe to drink some hot chocolate.

--

1) How would you describe the way you walk?
2) What's your relationship with dance?
3) I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. You like to…?

Last edited by Trumgottist; 05-07-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added questions
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #3679
Flower bower bird

1. I galumph a bit ever since I broke my ankle several years ago.
2. Grace is not my middle name. I've performed in several musicals over the years and always had to go to remedial dance to learn the steps.
3. Park it in a chair with a good book.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #3680
Filmfreak

Like Lee, I prefer to answer ALL the questions, and I have a major backlog to get through:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
When watching music videos on Youtube:
1) Do you prefer professional or amateur video productions?
2) Do you prefer fancy studio tricks or minimal, clean editing?
3) Do you prefer animations or live action?
1-3. I watch music videos for the music. In fact I hardly *watch* music videos, I *listen* to music videos instead. It's all about what I want to hear, not about what I want to see. And when I DO watch the imagery, it has to be fitting for the music. So it doesn't matter whether it's professional or amateur, fancy or minimal, animated or live action. It's the content that's most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
1. Quality funny ones, or really creative ones
2. Music videos, movie trailers, viral videos, funny videos, classic movie scenes, etc.
3. Music videos and movie trailers and the likes, I just type what I want to hear/see and the YouTube gives me the videos I requested.
For viral videos, I'm subscribed to two channels that frequently review viral videos (Ray William Johnson's =3 Channel and The Fine Bros.' "Kids React / Teens React"-series). If they don't review them, I'll likely miss them.
And as for funny videos, I'm subscribed to a few channels that put out content that I find funny, but I don't go actively searching for new material. Unless it's on one of the channels I'm subscribed to, or a friend sends me the link, or I read about it here, then I'm probably going to miss it.
I try to keep up-to-date on my internet memes, but there's a limit...

Quote:
1. In Belgium, the "Franco-Belgian" comics (bandes dessinées in your list) are quite popular. My dad was into them, and through him I got to know a lot of them as well. My favourites are De Blauwbloezen (The Bluecoats), Sammy, Guust Flater (Gaston Lagaffe) and Asterix.
2. No, I never had such an idea because I have a complete lack of creativity. I prefer to enjoy the original ideas of others instead.
3. Not only do I lack creativity, but I'm atonal as well. I know what I like, but I can't come up with anything of my own, so no, no, and no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
1. Depends on the track record of the 'auteur' and of the nonspecific team. I mean, for games it can go both ways: Jane Jensen gets preference over Sierra, but LucasArts gets preference over Gilbert/Schafer/.
For films and TV shows, I tend to go for the 'auteur'. But the track record is important.
2. Well, we got some free samples of Lipton Ice Tea (Green Tea - Orange Passion) at work today which I hadn't tried before. Does that count? Btw, they were average in taste. Nothing beats the original Lipton Ice Tea in my book.
3. This year, I'm going to try out "marriage". Starting this Friday.
If it turns out that I don't like it, I can always go back, can't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
1. I thought the bit between brackets made it clear enough? We can't always use the Citizen Kane quote "How did I find business conditions in Europe? With great difficulty.", you know.
2. Foreign languages - Dutch is my first language and I suppose my English is good enough, but my French is average and my German weak. All other languages are virtually non-existant.
3. Nothing at all. I don't lack dreams but I lack the ambition to reach them.

Quote:
1) What was your first impression of the whole Kony2012 controversy?
2) If your nation's government was suspected of having stolen the election that put them in power, would you want them overthrown and another general election called, or would you rather just let it ride and pray it doesn't happen again?
3) If your city was NOT taking part in any protests going on to, say, overthrow your government, would you stage a protest yourself, or just go to the nearest city that was having one?
1. The what? I know what it is now, but I only found out today... and not from this question even.
2. I would want them overthrown and another general election called, yes. Fortunately I live in a country where something like that is VERY unlikely to happen.
3. I'd go to the nearest city that was having one. I'm not one to rally people myself, but I'd go to where it's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
1. Too often to be comfortable. I tend to either (over)clarify what I mean or go for a more nuanced "yes, but / no, but / it depends".
2. It depends on my mood. I'd probably need to feel pretty frivolous to just go "yes/no".
3. I practically always go for the exclusive or. Otherwise it would be "X and/or Y", imo.

Quote:
1. No, not my style. Plus, I don't like to owe people anything.
2. Absolutely not, because my writing isn't valuable enough at all.
3. I'd take care of the financial situation first, and get a regular job. Even though the creative work is something you'd much rather do instead, the bills need to be paid, and as long as the creative work isn't consistently taking care of the bills, it gets boxed away. But I've always been careful like that, plus it's easier to think that way since I'm anything but creative. Of course, that's what *I* would do. Lee, you need to do what *you* think is best in your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Either I'm thinking of another meaning of the word 'pronoun' or I'm missing something here. Context seems to imply you mean 'nouns' instead, so I'll take that (otherwise I'd have no answers).
1. Timo, short for Timothy (which in turn is my given name).
2. When I was born, my mom insisted on people calling me Timothy and not shortening it. Because she really hated 'Tim' she eventually settled for 'Timo' because three syllables are just too much for most people...
3. Well, I hate being called 'Sir' or 'Mr. vieMan'. I tend to reply to that with: "Mr. vieMan was my great-uncle. I'm Timothy.". I even hate it when people I hardly know call me 'Timo', like I feel they need my permission to call me that first...

Quote:
1) Have you seen any of my art?
2) Have you listened to any of my music?
3) Have you read any of my fiction?
1-3. I've seen a couple of your YouTube videos that you linked to here, and so I heard a couple of your tracks.
Haven't seen/read anything else, though. Sorry.

Quote:
1. No, I don't. If that means the joke's on me when I die, then so be it.
2. If there IS an afterlife, then I'd reckon it's common for people of *all* beliefs and not an individual one for each religion. I'm not buying any of the "only the righteous ones" crap. If there is an afterlife, then it'll be the same for everyone. That also means Heaven = Purgatory = Hell = Valhalla = Niflheim = Nirvana = Tartarus = Elysian Fields = Hades = Oblivion = Realm of the Dead = Te Reinga = Zion = ...
3. I don't believe in ANY form of deity. If I'm wrong, so be it.