You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #3121
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. What can't possibly be the answer to question 2?
  2. What is the answer to question 1?
  3. Are at least two of your answers to these three questions incorrect?
1. Nought
2) Cross
3) CTRL+ALT+DEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. What's your favourite piece of music in a non-standard time signature?
2. Is there a type of food you hated when you were a kid but love now?
3. When you were in high school (or at least of that age), how would your peers have reacted if a fellow student wanted to take a same-sex partner to the prom?
1. Oh dear, there are so many, as you well know. Perhaps my most sentimental fave is a section of Supper's Ready called 'Apocalypse in 9/8'.
2. Truthfully, no. I've had some foods I was indifferent to become foods I enjoy, and a few foods I genuinely didn't like became palatable, but that which I hated at five I still hate (lima beans, wax beans, lentils and beets, FYI).
3. There would probably have been a bit of controversy, but I suspect it wouldn't have been as bad as the scene in Mississippi with the fake prom stunt. The cool kids usually threw their own 'cool kids' prom at our school anyway, the *colourful expletive here*.

1) Repeating Squinky's last #1 question, do you have a favourite piece of music in a time signature other than Common Time (i.e. 4/4, and yeah, I suppose waltzes count, though it would be nice if you could manage a number higher than four beats to the bar ).
2) What's your favourite piece of music with controversial or political themes, and do you suspect it's a bit preachy, or just insightful?
3) What, if any, piece of music goes through your head when someone or someones start talking or acting sexually/suggestively in your presence?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #3122
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

1. I once composed an extremely short theme, where the first measure has eight beats, the second measure has seven, the third has six, and so on all the way down to one without it ever sounding weird. I never found anything to do with this theme, for obvious reasons. But I'm quite fond of it.
  2. I honestly can't think of music I like with political themes. Music should be more abstract and generalized than that; sticking a specific message in cheapens it, and I guess I'm only okay with that in musicals. And I don't think I've seen any political or controversial musicals that I liked. So yeah, I've got no answer here.
  3. Assuming it's not someone I'm dating, because I've never dated anyone, the emotion going through my head at that moment would be similar to the revulsion I feel when I hear some really obnoxious rap or techno music or something along those lines with loud, deafening and insufferable beats and no subtlety.

==============================================

1. What kind of music best fits what you're feeling this minute?
  2. What was the high point of this day for you?
  3. What could make it better right now?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #3123
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
  1. What kind of music best fits what you're feeling this minute?
  2. What was the high point of this day for you?
  3. What could make it better right now?
1. The Mars Volta
2. Email from Deirdra.
3. Discovering I'm the inheritor of a sizable fortune with which I could pay off these mounting debts and rebuild my life. Barring that, the only other thing I can think of is X-rated. Sorry.

1. What do you think of Matt Smith's first proper performance as The Doctor?
2. What do you think of Karen Gillan's first performance as companion Amy Pond?
3. What do you think of the premise of an alien escaped convict living in a forgotten room in your own home for over a decade while you wait for your childhood hero to return?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #3124
Not like them!

My answer to all three is "awesome". I think this new era of Doctor Who is going to be the best sci-fi show ever. The acting's great, but more importantly the scripts are just overflowing with ideas. There are some ideas which are so cool that if there was nothing to an episode but that one idea it would still be a really good episode. Moffat stuffs three or four such ideas into every episode he writes. And this first episode he's not writing has Winston Churchill trying to use the bloodthirsty Daleks as weapons to win the war. Sounds great, no?

As an aside, I was talking to someone who said she didn't enjoy the first episode of this season. (Whereupon her entire family informed her she was nuts.) She said it felt like it was "trying too hard" with all its many crazy plot points. I said that with the episode being twenty minutes longer than the usual, they could afford to set up the characters and have cracks in the skin of the universe and save the world with a cell phone and have things which can only be seen out of the corner of your eye and have a shape-shifter who turns into the mental images of coma patients and still have time for food. She looked at me in disbelief: "It was a longer episode than usual? It was too short!" So I guess she didn't dislike it that much.

==============================================
  1. Has there ever been a really great fantasy (as opposed to science-fiction) TV show?
  2. What TV show do you know of that went most spectacularly off the rails?
  3. Let's say you're given control of that show. (If it's been off the air for a long time, say it goes back on the air and any dead actors needed are resurrected.) What do you do to get it back to where it ought to be?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #3125
Citizen of Bizarro World

1. I'd guess yes, although probably not live action.
2. Hmm. Well, Andromeda is probably the only show I quit after sticking with it for 2 seasons.
3. Oh shit, save Andromeda? Supposedly the original show runner staying on would've done that.
____

1. Predict the name of a new musical sub-genre that could possibly evolve in the near future; what would that sound like?
2. Which place on Earth is the emergence of the new sound most likely to occur?
3. Which social strata would engage in the recording of such music, and would any sweeping geo-political changes be required to precipitate its rise?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #3126
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. Mariachi steampunk. It won't just be a genre of music; it'll be a way of life.
2. East Vancouver, after it gets over its current fixation with Balkan brass.
3. First and second-generation Canadian hippies of diverse ethnic backgrounds with too much free time on their hands. By then, record labels will be all but dead, allowing the music to rise through the power of social networking alone.

---

1. What does your ideal office look like?
2. If you had to sell an abstract concept of your choice in a can, which would it be?
3. What will be the name of your favourite mariachi steampunk song?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #3127
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
2. If you had to sell an abstract concept of your choice in a can, which would it be?
1. A lot tidier than my office at work and a lot bigger than my office/study at home!

2. Beauty tinged with sadness.

3. "The incredible tequila powered locomotive machine".

Questions

1. When was the last time you were really angry and why?

2. If you could only have baths or showers from this day forth, which would you choose?

3. How does the first verse, or chorus, of "The incredible tequila powered locomotive machine" go? (tune not necessary).
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #3128
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
  1. Has there ever been a really great fantasy (as opposed to science-fiction) TV show?
  2. What TV show do you know of that went most spectacularly off the rails?
  3. Let's say you're given control of that show. (If it's been off the air for a long time, say it goes back on the air and any dead actors needed are resurrected.) What do you do to get it back to where it ought to be?
1. Does The Tudors count? It's actually Historical Fiction disguised as Biopic, but they play pretty fast and loose with the history part. Another thought is The 10th Kingdom, but that was a mini series. As was Merlin. And I think there was a Beastmaster TV series, and there was Xena and there was Hercules, and of course Highlander, but that was only part historical, though it was definitely all fantasy in my books.
2. You mean accidentally, of course. As in, 'they didn't deliberately set out to make their series go *sproing*--it just turned out like that'. Umm... I can't think of any that come to mind. I usually like it when series get a little weird. That's when I start watching, really. I don't think of it as 'going wrong'; I think of it as 'they're getting it right, at last'.
3. Hire David Kemper, Rockne O'Bannon, Brian Henson, Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Gigi Edgley, as much of the rest of the old crew as possible, rebuild the Moya set, and then get the heck out of the way while Farscape returns from the ashes and makes this fanboy extremely happy. Barring that, I'd write it myself. I practically was when i started the first draft of my Ashes novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
1. Predict the name of a new musical sub-genre that could possibly evolve in the near future; what would that sound like?
2. Which place on Earth is the emergence of the new sound most likely to occur?
3. Which social strata would engage in the recording of such music, and would any sweeping geo-political changes be required to precipitate its rise?
1. Squidcore. It would be heavy on digital effects, but the overall tone would be that of hearing a rock concert underwater.
2. Toronto. Anyone who plays at the Molson Amphitheatre already has some idea of what this sounds like anyway.
3. Mostly kids would change the colour of their emo clothing from black to purple, but really, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
1. Like Sterling Carcieri's office, with the high tech stuff carefully disguised as 1940s furnishings.
2. In a can, huh? I've been trying to sell abstract concept my whole life, but I never thought of putting them in a can. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all this time. Wrong packaging. I think I will have to give this some thought, but if you want a quick answer, how's about Cream of Consciousness Soup ?
3. /Edit>Rewind>Dance, Gringo, Dance or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
1. When was the last time you were really angry and why?
2. If you could only have baths or showers from this day forth, which would you choose?
3. How does the first verse, or chorus, of "The incredible tequila powered locomotive machine" go? (tune not necessary).
I've been highly frustrated for days, but I rarely ever get truly angry. Usually it means my meds aren't working, or I've run low. I'm very mild mannered by nature.
2. Probably showers, though I would miss all those wild bath parties with the coeds.
3. I was making time with my senorita
She was making time with Jose
I was determined to win her
She seemed to think I was
Gaining too much weight
So I decided I needed some courage
And I bought a bottle of gold
I shared it with my senorita
And I think that she's finally sold.
She calls me
Her incredible tequila powered locomotive machine of love
And she swears that she loves me with the voice of a dove
I know I can never leave the only lover I'm thinking of
But tequila makes me sleepy so I'm going to bed up above.
aye aye aye...

1) What do you think the odds are that this fresh Windows install is actually going to last more than three days?
2) What should I do first: Recovery Point, Motherboard Drivers, or Windows Update?
3) If the computer dies again, do you think I should hit it repeatedly with a mallet until it's a pile of rubble, and then go back to sending email by smoke signal?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #3129
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post

1) What do you think the odds are that this fresh Windows install is actually going to last more than three days?
2) What should I do first: Recovery Point, Motherboard Drivers, or Windows Update?
3) If the computer dies again, do you think I should hit it repeatedly with a mallet until it's a pile of rubble, and then go back to sending email by smoke signal?
1. That depends on the quality of your firewall.

2. Pull the network cable before you do anything else. Then install Windows and the drivers. Then make a recovery point. Then put the cable back in and hope you can do all the upgrades before you get infected again.

3. Yes.

---

1. What would you like to do again that you used to do a lot when you were a kid?

2. Why don't you do it now?

3. What do you do now that you would like to do as a kid?

3a. Why didn't you do it then?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #3130
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
1) Repeating Squinky's last #1 question, do you have a favourite piece of music in a time signature other than Common Time (i.e. 4/4, and yeah, I suppose waltzes count, though it would be nice if you could manage a number higher than four beats to the bar ).
2) What's your favourite piece of music with controversial or political themes, and do you suspect it's a bit preachy, or just insightful?
3) What, if any, piece of music goes through your head when someone or someones start talking or acting sexually/suggestively in your presence?
1. Yes, many. Oh, you want examples? Well, Take 5 is an obvious answer. A not so obvious answer (unless you know me) would be to pick something from one of my absolute favourite groups: Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. They do many interesting things with rhythm. Or some Stravinsky? But I'll pick one of McFerrin's Circlesongs. Circlesong One is in 7/4, but I'll choose number three. It's in 15/4, I think. (Could be notated in three I guess, but it only makes sense in 15.)

(I also have a recording of Silent Night in 5/8, but that doesn't count, as it's me and my sister playing my arrangement of the song. There are also odd meters in some parts of the soundtrack for the game mentioned in my sig.)

2. I have many CDs with Christian music in my CD-collection. That can certainly be considered controversial. Pick a favourite? As you can tell, I'm not so good at that, but considering the followup-question, I pick Michael Card's Ancient Faith CD. Preachy and insightful.

3. That would depend on the circumstance. I tend to make very far-fetched connections to songs popping up in my head at various time. (Or having random songs get stuck.) But just to give an answer, I'll say "You Can Leave Your Hat On", just because it's a cool song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. What would you like to do again that you used to do a lot when you were a kid?

1. I can't think of anything.

3. I) I play music. II) I play computer games. III) I make computer games.

3a. I) I hadn't learnt how to yet. II) I didn't have the games to play. III) Didn't have the tools or skills.

--

And now to think of some new questions, while listening to Circlesongs…

1. Why don't you listen to more music?
2. Why don't you listen to more music live?
3. Why don't you play more music?

(Oops. It became a triple music question.)
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #3131
Not like them!

Quote:
2. You mean accidentally, of course. As in, 'they didn't deliberately set out to make their series go *sproing*--it just turned out like that'. Umm... I can't think of any that come to mind. I usually like it when series get a little weird. That's when I start watching, really. I don't think of it as 'going wrong'; I think of it as 'they're getting it right, at last'.
By "off the rails" I didn't mean "crazy". I like crazy. Maybe I should have used the phrase "jumped the shark". That might have been clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
  1. Because I make music myself. Whenever I'm in the mood for music, I go to my piano and play it myself. I have no emotional need for other people's music.
  2. Because I rarely get out of the house and don't have any money.
  3. Because after a while I'm not playing for the sake of playing, I'm playing for the sake of procrastination. Music can be a little bit of an addiction, if I let it.

================================================== ======

1. Would you say you're currently addicted to anything, be it a physical, mental or figurative addiction? And if so, what?
  2. What do you do when you're in a bad mood?
  3. How many really good friends do you have?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #3132
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
11. What would you like to do again that you used to do a lot when you were a kid?
1. Acting.
2. Haven't found the right outlet/production for me that fits my current life situation.
3. Martial arts/self defence classes. (Okay, so I'm not doing them now now, for mostly financial reasons, but I have taken some as an adult.)
3a. Parents wouldn't let me -- they saw them as too violent.

Quote:
1. Because while I love music, silence is better for me when I really need to concentrate on something.
2. Because there are only so many concerts/gigs I can attend in a given week before the crowds make me irritable.
3. Because then I wouldn't have time to make games.

Quote:
  1. Would you say you're currently addicted to anything, be it a physical, mental or figurative addiction? And if so, what?
1. Caffeine.
2. Exercise it off, or stew alone in my apartment. Usually the latter.
3. Something between 0 and 7, depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

---

1. Who do you think would win in a tuba duel: me or Trumgottist?
2. Where do you think would be a good place for my band to tour?
3. How many acquaintances do you have?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #3133
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. Trumgottist, hands down. Which is very hard in a tuba duel.
2. New Orleans
3. Acquaintances as in people I like but who are not friends? I guess around 200 or so.

---

1. What machine you have do you like most?
2. Who do you like most in the world?
3. What abstract concept is dearest to you?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #3134
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. Stay home and watch children's television.
2. I owe, I owe, so it's off to work I go.
3. I write novels, which 3a. I only tried to do as a child, in a sort of crayon-comics-in-the-margins kind of way. I was a graphic novellist from the earliest days.

Quote:
1. If I listened to more music, it would be a dead lock that I'd never sleep. oh, wait...
2. I don't have the time or money to get out and hear bands as much as I used to, and my wife doesn't like noisy, crowded venues much, which takes away from the fun of small venues. We're going to see the Barenaked Ladies in a week or so. Meanwhile, I have a growing collection of live DVDs. I love my rock concerts.
3. Mainly because I wince at how rusty I've gotten, and I've never loved playing my instruments enough to want to hear bum notes over and over again without some short term goals and a bit of incentive, like band mates looking on and such. I'm a songwriter, not a true musician.

Quote:
By "off the rails" I didn't mean "crazy". I like crazy. Maybe I should have used the phrase "jumped the shark". That might have been clearer.
No, I think I understood you. I just think that most shows either slowly degrade or suddenly realize what they've been trying to do all along was wrong and make a major shift. Very rarely do I feel that a programme I've been watching avidly actually jumps the shark. Mind you, I am extremely selective about my TV...

Quote:
1. Agreeing with Squinky: caffeine. Without it, the motor doesn't run so good.
2. LOUD MUSIC!
3. My closest, dearest friends I can count on one hand. I'm in love with all of them.

Quote:
1. My money's on you, but propriety demands I not explain myself in public.
2. ONTARIO!!!
3. I can probably count those on my fingers and toes, but I don't. It's teh close friends that I pay the most attention to.

Quote:
1. What machine you have do you like most?
2. Who do you like most in the world?
3. What abstract concept is dearest to you?
My computer, followed by my iPod, my stereo and my Wii.
2. Ooooooo.... a trick question. I can't answer that and be fair to the small handful I love.
3. Creativity.

1) If you accidentally erased something that effectively wiped out your entire MP3 collection, would you rather start recollecting it all over again, or would you use data recovery software that renamed all of your files, forcing you to go back in and rename everything, including the files that lost their meta data?
2) If you had forgotten to contact your doctor about renewing your sleeping pill prescription, would you save your last sleeping pill for the next weeknight, or would you take it tonight and try to catch up on what little rest you're likely to get this weekend?
3) If your boss told you he was planning on giving you more responsibility in a job that is already making you crazy, would you hang in there hoping to get the bills paid off, or would you run for the hills and hope to find some other way of getting the bills paid (like gov't assistance, etc...)?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #3135
Citizen of Bizarro World

1. I'd rather download everything all over again. That would actually be interesting to do anyway. I wonder what I would crave most/reacquire first.
2. Tonight. I'd like to feel rested going into the workweek. And then, one day in, I'd be a wreck and just sludge through the rest of it.
3. I guess I'd start actively seeking an alternative, whilst sticking to it as long as possible. At least I'd like to think that's what I'd do.
___

1. You're on the Texas education board deciding what goes into the next generation of textbooks for all of the U.S.A. Who do you effectively write out of history?
2. Conversely, who do you focus disproportionate attention on?
3. What country-wide changes would you institute to make the Texas thingy position not as important and wide-reaching?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #3136
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
1. You're on the Texas education board deciding what goes into the next generation of textbooks for all of the U.S.A. Who do you effectively write out of history?
3. What country-wide changes would you institute to make the Texas thingy position not as important and wide-reaching?
1) Easy, that smarmy-ass Darwin guy who insists we come descendant from Monkey!
2) Robert E. Lee, of course!
3) If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #3137
Unreliable Narrator

1. I'd like to think so, but I'm occasionally wrong, so it's nice to have the little smiley faces there to point me in the right direction. Or something.
2. I'm feeling too listless to answer your question right now.
3. Convince Texas that it wants to separate from the rest of the country, Quebec-style.

---

1. What real thing in the world do you wish was merely satire?
2. What satire do you wish was a real thing in the world?
3. Do you give a poop what Roger Ebert thinks about video games?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #3138
tsa
Playing character

1. WAR! Whoooaaaa, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!
2. The Ministery of Silly Walks.
3. I don't even know who you are talking about so what do I care about him and his opinions?

--

I just woke up, so here are some wake-up questions:

1. What do you do directly after you realize that you aren't sleeping anymore?
2. When do you have the most difficulties getting up?
3. Do you like reading in bed?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #3139
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. Thomas Jefferson, because it's all his fault. Well, him and Ben Franklin and John Adams, anyway
2. George W. Bush, the Greatest American President of the last decade.
3. Finish building the immigrant fence for them the way they want it... all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
1) Can you spot satire when you see it?
2) Has creating lists on this board changed, or did I just forget?
3) What country-wide changes would you institute to make the Texas thingy position not as important and wide-reaching? (passing this forward for Maquisard to get a decent answer.)
1. Maaaaayyyybeeeeee
2. I never did lists that way anyhow, so I have no idea.
3. Dig it up and put it in the Pacific Ocean.

Quote:
1. What real thing in the world do you wish was merely satire?
2. What satire do you wish was a real thing in the world?
3. Do you give a poop what Roger Ebert thinks about video games?
1. Politics.
2. World Peace.
3. No. Roger is being a snob and doesn't get the importance of interactivity as a form of immersion and catharsis, and thus fails to see that, though the dramatic tools and the overall shape are different, the intent is still the same.

Quote:
1. What do you do directly after you realize that you aren't sleeping anymore?
2. When do you have the most difficulties getting up?
3. Do you like reading in bed?
1. Wonder if it's closer to 2 AM than 8 AM.
2. Work days.
3. Yes, but I don't do it often.

1) What should I make for dinner: a) chili; b) hamburgers; c) chicken and chorizos with rice?
2) If you woke up after one day of work and felt exhausted to the point of nausea, would you stay home or go to work, knowing the bills need to be paid?
3) Have you ever looked in the mirror and saw a complete stranger staring back at you?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #3140
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
1) What should I make for dinner: a) chili; b) hamburgers; c) chicken and chorizos with rice?
2) If you woke up after one day of work and felt exhausted to the point of nausea, would you stay home or go to work, knowing the bills need to be paid?
3) Have you ever looked in the mirror and saw a complete stranger staring back at you?
1) a
2) Sings: "I should be sleeping like a log." But seriously, there's nothing to gain by ignoring the warnings of the body. It'll just come back and bite you, so if you're ill, stay home and get better. It'll pay off in the long run.
3) Not that I can recall, no.

--

1) Do you sleep the right amount each night?
2) How much is that?
3) Do you ask the man (or woman) in the mirror to change his (or her) ways? (And if so, do you think you'll succeed?)