You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #2741
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. Not many of my jobs are that diametrically opposed, actually. They've all been steady stereotypical antisocial introvert jobs. I suppose the one that's most different would be my high school part-time gig as a filer at my mom's clinic, which involved no computers, a lot of standing, and a ridiculously high ratio of females to males.
2. Honestly... I can't think of anything. I'm still at a point where I believe that if I want something enough and I work hard enough at it, I can accomplish it. So, ask me again in about ten years.
3. Forty-seven.

1. Are the genders of your coworkers balanced, or is there a skew one way or another?
2. Are the genders of your friends and acquaintances balanced, or is there a skew one way or another?
3. Are the genders of your closest friends balanced, or is there a skew one way or another?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #2742
Game Creator Hobbyist

I'd say that my answer to all three questions is "pretty balanced", and I like it that way. I suspect I wouldn't be as comfortable in an all male workplace.

--

1. Have you ever "discovered" a new colour? (I don't mean actually discovering it, more like noticing. "Wow, that flower looks good.)
2. Would you rather have a good looking or a weird flower? (Or nice smelling, or add your own option if mine aren't good enough.)
3. What's your favourite smell?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #2743
Unreliable Narrator

1. Yeah, but more in terms of colour combinations that I didn't expect would look good together.
2. The best-looking flowers, to me, are weird-looking ones. I don't care so much about smell, so long as it's not a really pungent smell.
3. I'm trying to decide between coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, coconut, or new book.

(The following has been asked as a single, differently-worded question before, but I thought I'd split it up into categories, just for fun.)

1. If you could have dinner with any living person tonight, who would it be?
2. If you could have dinner with any no-longer-living person tonight, who would it be?
3. If you could have dinner with any fictional person tonight, who would it be?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #2744
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

The person I'd most like to have dinner with is my future self at the age of 37. I'm not sure whether that counts as living, not-yet-living, or fictional. I'll try to think of more easily classifiable answers.
  1. That'd have to be you, I think. I hope you like lasagna.
  2. I'd say Walt Disney, but I've heard he was anti-semitic. So I dunno... Samuel Clemens? Never read his books, but he'd probably be a fun guy to have dinner with.
  3. The imaginary girl-just-like-me which I write into my blog occasionally. But I don't know how it works to have dinner with your own character- I wouldn't have to come up with everything she does, would I? That would kind of defeat the point.

====================

1. Are you still in contact with most of your old friends?
  2. What game do you think you could replay the most?
  3. Are human beings predictable when you really understand them?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #2745
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
That'd have to be you, I think. I hope you like lasagna.
I'm honoured, and I would so be there if I didn't have band practice tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. Are you still in contact with most of your old friends?
  2. What game do you think you could replay the most?
  3. Are human beings predictable when you really understand them?
1. No. A lot of those friendships were heavily based on common circumstances, and since we no longer share such circumstances, we no longer have anything to talk about on a regular basis. I do have people from my past show up and comment on things I post to Twitter/Facebook, however.
2. Not counting puzzle or rhythm games, which are designed to be played indefinitely, I tend to go back to Grim Fandango once every two or three years. Might be due for another replay soon, come to think of it.
3. I would have to say yes, but in many cases, the idealist in me hopes to be proven wrong.

---

1. How much faith do you have in humanity?
2. How much faith do you have in your friends?
3. How much faith do you have in yourself?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #2746
the midnight rambler

Argh!! Big tough questions *runs off and hides*

Faith in doing what though? Faith in surviving? Faith in looking after Winnie the guinea pig? Faith in choosing a house? I'm not wholly sure how to answer, but I'll try.

1. Not much, I think. It seems there are many preventable things that shouldn't be happening in the world that somehow are. As much as I'd like to think we can use our greater qualities for the better I don't believe the generality do and perhaps never will. I witness too many imbeciles on a daily basis to have much faith in humanity as a whole. (That sounds terrible!)
2. My closer friends I have some faith in whilst others I'm a little more cautious about. I try not to depend on others if possible. (That sounds terrible too!)
3. I'm not sure about this. Given the above answer I'd say I have to have faith in myself. I'm always questioning my reasons for thinking and doing what I do. My inner 'framework' is always under scrutiny. This keeps me open which in turn can lead to indecisiveness, however, so far, so good.

1. What sort of reaction to you get when you tell people you play/create games?
2. How do you justify or explain your hobby/career to the uninitiated?
3. If you were to open their eyes to gaming what 3 games would you have them play?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #2747
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
1. What sort of reaction to you get when you tell people you play/create games?
2. How do you justify or explain your hobby/career to the uninitiated?
3. If you were to open their eyes to gaming what 3 games would you have them play?
1. Most people wonder where I find the time to play these games.
2. Career: I say it's very complicated and hard to explain. That usually puts them off enough. If they are persistant I try to explain in the simplest of terms that when you shine light at porous material, all sorts of weird things happen. The porous material you need is extremely hard to make properly. I am hired to make that material.
Hobby: I tell them that you are the protagonist in the story, so you play the story, as it were. And there's no shooting involved. That usually leaves them flabbergasted. "But where's the fun in that?" they ask. When I tell them a good adventure game is like a good book or a good movie, they usually log off.
3. I learnt that it's a complete waste of energy to even try to get people to gaming, so I don't bother anymore.

---

1. How do you keep in contact with your friends?
2. Are you usually the one to seek contact, or your friends? Or is there a more or less equal amount of contact-seeking?
3. Have you ever let go of friends because you never heard from them?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #2748
Unreliable Narrator

1. Depends on the friend. Some of them are strictly e-mail/IM people (usually when they don't live near me, but not always), and some of them I see frequently in person. For the latter group, cell phones get used mainly to make plans, but not really to chit chat.
2. More or less equal, skewing towards friends, though I'm learning that I need to initiate contact more often.
3. Yes. There are some I occasionally get back in touch with, but in many cases, I discover we've grown too much apart. I've been recently worried about losing touch with a particular internet friend who can't get online as often as before, and growing apart as a result. It's a scary thought, because this friend is one I really don't want to lose.

1. Do you have a blog? Why/why not?
2. Do you have a Twitter account? Why/why not?
3. Do you have a Facebook account? Why/why not?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #2749
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

1. I have a small forum blog in a forum I'm involved with, but that's it.
2. No, because I suspect there are very few people who would care what I'm doing/thinking.
3. Definitely. It's a great way to get in contact with and stay in touch with people. I love Facebook.

~~~

1. What should I bring to my dorm?
2. How do you make a smooth transition to living with a roommate with mutual respect and boundaries?
3. Why can't I have a dorm room with air conditioning?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #2750
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
1. What should I bring to my dorm?
2. How do you make a smooth transition to living with a roommate with mutual respect and boundaries?
3. Why can't I have a dorm room with air conditioning?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #2751
The Greater

These are comments, not actual replies. Except the last bit I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
2. Well, from, y'know, not having a roommate.

Quote:
[*]Have you noticed the blatent cleavage in the "Start your journey now, my Lord" banner ads?[/LIST]
I know. Finally, advertising we can enjoy.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #2752
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
  1. Is an air-conditioner an over-kill if you need it for only 1-2 weeks a year?
  2. What do you do with rednecks who move to the city and then complain about the noise you make?
  3. Have you noticed the blatent cleavage in the "Start your journey now, my Lord" banner ads?
1. Yes. People these days are much too weak. That's why I don't have an airco in the car. If you can't stand the heat you can open a window. It saves a bunch of fuel too.
2. Shoot them.
3. (Looks up "Start your journey now, my Lord"...). Nice girl. But here in NL this ad doesn't really impress. We regularly see ads like this.

+-+-+-+-+

1. What does the phrase "Unnoticable now" mean in this ad?

2. What do you do to avoid the Mexican, or Swine Flu (H1N1 Influenza)?
3. What will you do once you get it?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #2753
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. Yes. People these days are much too weak. That's why I don't have an airco in the car. If you can't stand the heat you can open a window. It saves a bunch of fuel too.
2. Shoot them.
3. (Looks up "Start your journey now, my Lord"...). Nice girl. But here in NL this ad doesn't really impress. We regularly see ads like this.

+-+-+-+-+

1. What does the phrase "Unnoticable now" mean in this ad?

2. What do you do to avoid the Mexican, or Swine Flu (H1N1 Influenza)?
3. What will you do once you get it?
1. On clicking 'Play' the game sucks away everything that was even remotely interesting about you, rendering you totally unnoticeable. This rogue interest would then be used to cosmetically enhance the women of future banner ads continuing the cycle until the earth is inhabited entirely by people bumbling around muttering things about cleavage through dribble encrusted lips.
2. Nothing, I'll probably get it sooner or later and I don't really expect any current drugs or many precautionary measures (aside from bunkering yourself in for a few years) to have much effect.
3. Fight it! Hand to hand combat. Naked. To the Death.
I'd probably lie in bed moaning until I fall asleep as usual. I wouldn't leave the house until I was feeling tip top again though, that's one measure that I'd expect to help not spread it further.

------
1. Are you happy with your current job?
2. How many career u-turns have you done to arrive at it?
3. Do you regret any of those u-turns?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #2754
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I know. Finally, advertising we can enjoy.
Finally? Dude, homeschooling must have really been a sheltering experience for you.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
1. Are you happy with your current job?
2. How many career u-turns have you done to arrive at it?
3. Do you regret any of those u-turns?
1. Yes, as far as recognising it's a stepping stone to better things to come rather than the final destination.
2. None. I've been travelling in a pretty straight line so far, career-wise. Either I'm very efficient or I'm due for a mid-life crisis soon.
3. I don't regret my lack of u-turns, though if I wasn't so sure of what I wanted to do when I grew up, maybe I'd have an easier time relating to my peers. *shrugs*

1. Tell me about the last time you met someone who changed your mind about a prejudice you once had.
2. Do you believe it's necessary for a society to have very rich people and very poor people?
3. What do you think about the idea of a world government?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #2755
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Finally? Dude, homeschooling must have really been a sheltering experience for you.
Nah, it's just that usually the ads on here are kind of boring.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #2756
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. Tell me about the last time you met someone who changed your mind about a prejudice you once had.
2. Do you believe it's necessary for a society to have very rich people and very poor people?
3. What do you think about the idea of a world government?
1. I cling to my prejudices. They're mine! So that will never happen .
2. That depends on how the rich people have obtained their wealth and how poor the poor people are. People who are very good at something and have worked long and hard to get where they are deserve to be rich. But then they can afford to pay more taxes, so the government can help the poor people. In rich societies like we live in people should be able to afford a roof above their heads and enough good food to stay healthy.
3. I guess that would function like the EU does now, only a lot worse. Societies on this planet just differ too much to justify a world government.

-----+-----

1. How would you like to die?
2. How would you like to be [fill in your favorite method of disposing of your body]?
3. Where and as what would you like to be reincarnated?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #2757
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. How would you like to die?
2. How would you like to be [fill in your favorite method of disposing of your body]?
3. Where and as what would you like to be reincarnated?
  1. "When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car." — Jack Handey
  2. "He's dead, man." "I know, but he never looked that good." I don't want to have a funeral like that. I don't want to be cremated, either. I want to be blown up! BOOM! There he goes! God love him! -- George Carlin
  3. Three hundred years from now, as a human, into whatever world that is
  1. Would you prefer to just not be reincarnated?
  2. If yes to be reincarnated, what as (passing this forward)?
  3. How would you prefer your remains be dispose?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #2758
Unreliable Narrator

1. Yeah. I don't like the idea of repeating myself, nor do I like the idea of not being able to remember what I did in my last life.
2. See above.
3. Donated to science, then buried.

1. Name a work of fiction that spoke to you when you were younger but no longer does.
2. Name a work of fiction that didn't speak to you when you were younger but does today.
3. Name a work of fiction that has consistently spoken to you over the years.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #2759

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
1. Name a work of fiction that spoke to you when you were younger but no longer does.
M.A.S.K.
Quote:
2. Name a work of fiction that didn't speak to you when you were younger but does today.
oooohh... Er.... Well... Nothing springs to mind.
Quote:
3. Name a work of fiction that has consistently spoken to you over the years.
There are plenty. Harry Potter, Poirot, the Sandman, Transformers, loads...
  1. What did you want to do 'when you grow up', when you were a child? (Most consistantly, if there were multiple choices).
  2. Do you think you got into a field close to the mark? (If you're between jobs, working on something or still studying then do you think you're close to that childhood ambition?)
  3. How many fingers am I holding up?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #2760
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

1. My honest answer to that is so complicated and specific in its details that I needed a whole blog post (which I coincidentally wrote recently) for it. If you're curious, it's here. In short, though: I basically wanted to do everything.
  2. Sure, in that I'm making games. Games can be anything. They can do anything. So I'm well on my way to conquering the world. Oh, you laugh, but you'll see! You'll all see!
  3. 0 ≤ x ≤ 10, unless you're holding up someone else's fingers in which case sod off.

================================================== ======

1. Do you consider yourself grounded in the real world?
  2. Do you hang out with people more interesting than yourself?
  3. Is there a person somewhere in the world who is so dull that you could study his/her life for ten years and still not find anything remotely interesting about them?

Last edited by MoriartyL; 08-08-2009 at 02:08 PM.