You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Which Shows Do You Watch On TV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #41
Blatherer

Okay. I saw the original movie Buffy, the Vampire Slayer back in '92. At the movies. You know, the places that have the sticky, sloped, cold concrete floors.

I liked it okay, but wasn't interested in the subject matter (Buffy/Vampire Slayer) as weekly entertainment - until now. I am really diggin' it!

I was well aware of Josh Whedon's work before this (Firefly, Serenity, the occasional RoseAnne in the late '80's, and then, of course, the original Buffy movie), but simply didn't have (or take) the time to watch the TV Series of Buffy.

I've always loved monster movies and Hammer horror films, so I'm having a great time with Buffy. And it's the closest thing to a soap opera I've ever seen in my life.

I am also watching Extras now (picked it up two days ago), and it is hilarious!

Just as dry as an old piece of toast. Or - should I say - a old dried-up English muffin. I'm digging it, too.

That's it for now. I care less about Lost or any other cable, telly, or outside interferences or stimuli into my life - unless they're an Adventure game.

Or they gimme a big kiss when they come in the door. Ew.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #42
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I've been watching this weird thing on Cartoon Network lately, it's a cop show spoof, about a talking butt. Assy McGee. Oh, and the butt sounds like Stallone after a weekend of nonstop drinking. It's bad, but fascinating, like a car wreck. Especially when Assy has to draw his gun or hold something...they just show the objects kind of "floating" in front of him.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #43
Super Moderator

Assy McGee has to be the weirdest show I have ever seen. Your description of it being a car wreck is perfect. I haven't watched it in a while but when I did I found myself wondering why I was doing it but I couldn't stop.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #44
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
but when I did I found myself wondering why I was doing it but I couldn't stop.
exactly!! It's bizarrely compelling, lol....like most of Adult Swim.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #45
Super Moderator

I'm finally getting around to watching the Collector's Edition of Spaced that I bought quite some time ago.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #46
The Major Grubert.

I watch no broadcast TV anymore. I'm not one of those Kill Your TV nuts--I just don't have time for it.

Years ago, I would have all 8 programs on my VCR full. As shows I watched went off the air, I found nothing to replace them with. Eventually, I was left with none.

Blame Netflix. I watch more film than I ever have.

HOWEVER, I do watch TV programs--I just don't see them broadcast. I follow LOST, but I wait for the DVDs, so I'm usually a year behind. I'm in that condition with Deadwood and Battlestar Gallactica as well, but that's about it. Well, I've been picking up Northern Exposure seasons as they're released (there's only one left). But that's all! Well, that and this Thermos...

Lately, I've been meaning to program in The Daily Report with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report. That's great parody and it's not likely to be released on DVD, so I should horde it. But I don't. Ask me why!

Speck

Edit: oh yes, I have the entire Flirely on DVD as well as the Serenity film--love that stuff. I was so intrigued with Wheaton that I bought someone's collection of the entire 7 seasons of Buffy. But I couldn't finish it. I got 1/2 way through the seconds season, then sold it off.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #47
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I'm finally getting around to watching the Collector's Edition of Spaced that I bought quite some time ago.
Woo!

I just recently got hooked on adult swim's Venture Brothers, which I am enjoying quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
I just recently got hooked on adult swim's Venture Brothers, which I am enjoying quite a bit.
I haven't watched that in a while but that one is fun.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #49
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Woo!

I've seen season one and keep meaning to catch up on S2. The magic neighbour dude is aces, and I love puddy's (Brock) voice.

On local tv, I only regularly watch Shamless, Veronica Mars and of late the new run of Inspector Montalbano telemovies (volume 3). Damn scicily (still) looks beautiful in that and Luca Zingaretti is (still) fabulous.

I also somehow managed to see ep1 of Rome Season 2 - looking just as lush as S1, but I'll miss Niobe, who was easily the best looking gal in the show (the rest are all spinsters or stick figure blondes).

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 01-20-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #50
Friendly Server Admin

Season two of the venture brothers is actually a lot better than season one (not that season one isn't good, mind you).

Veronica Mars has been going downhill for me. I didn't enjoy season two as much as the first season, and this latest season just seems kind of boring. I miss the single giant story arc.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #51
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Heroes continues tomorrow!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #52
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

And Prison Break!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #53
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Heroes continues tomorrow!
When is Battlestar on next? Seeing a certain cylon in a certain magazine beginning with the letter P last week has me keen for the rest of season 3.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #54
Friendly Server Admin

tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #55
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
And Prison Break!
The second season of Prison Break starts over here tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

Sadly, now that they're out of jail, Wentworth Miller has no reason to take his shirt off.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #56
kamikaze hummingbirds

why do females never seem to get maps and plans of prisons tattooed on their bodies that they can use to escape?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:56 AM   #57
Blatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I watch no broadcast TV anymore.
I never did to speak of, Speck. I had hobbies. I tore up stuff. I stopped watching TV after the age of ten or so. No more sitting around with the family staring at the tit. Only when I was able to start "Time-shifting" programs, well...that's when I watched some broadcast or cable network TV. Usually waiting around with other folks before we were supposed to go on a trip or do something.

I've only recently watched my own big television, and I don't even have cable. I don't do "Netflix". I do rent sometimes.

But I'm selfish and not easily pleased. I watch what I want to watch - usually on DVD, HD DVD, or Blu-ray. I've never been a slave to the TV. I mean, if I'm with a group of other people that want to watch something, sure, I'll sit there and watch it...and I fall asleep. I always fall asleep after dinner watching TV in a dark room. What a horrible guest to have. How rude I've been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I have the entire Firefly on DVD as well as the Serenity film--love that stuff. I was so intrigued with Wheaton that I bought someone's collection of the entire 7 seasons of Buffy. But I couldn't finish it. I got 1/2 way through the seconds season, then sold it off.
Aw! I'm gonna cry, Speck, buddy!

Hey! I loved Serenity and Firefly too, but, but..you didn't like Buffy?!?!!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been my first foray into "TV addiction"! And now - at fifty farkin' years of age! How strange. I've decided to start wasting my life now, rather than earlier. Weird.

And no, I'm not a "dirty old man" just looking at the precocious children do their bouncing around and such. Buffy transcends (I'm using Present Tense here because I'm just now getting around to Buffy, okay?) the idiot mentality of Baywatch or...well, I'd better just stop here, because I've never even seen Baywatch or any other Prime-Time, uh, so-called "lurid" shows, so I don't even know the hell what I'm talking about...please ignore my unfounded criticisms.

Sex in the City? I mean, what the heck is that? If one lives in the city, doesn't the real thing just come up by itself?

Speck, I truly wish you had stuck it out with Buffy. Please give Buffy another chance. I'm gonna to now try and tell you why I think it might grow on you.

Okay. Sure, it's gets all kiddy-fun and teeny-bopper sometimes, but the writing! The writing!

And the chemistry of the characters. Pretty much flawless casting. Yeah, Buffy could work your last nerve sometimes, but she actually had some fantastic moments when the writing called for her get over herself.

Josh Whedon and Jane Espenson's collaborative writing and producing made this show a real winner in my book. In fact, it's probably some of the best TV Series writing I've ever seen.

Even Lost (I've now seen the first two Seasons/years of Lost, and I would survive just fine if I never ever saw another episode, frankly) could learn a few pointers on how to develop a seven-year story-arc from this talented group of writers and producers.

The Special FX of Buffy were top-notch for TV in their day, and they still look great!

I like the way the "dusting" of vampires is mostly bloodless. Now - at nine years later - the sets look great, the lighting, the costumes, clothes, hair - all of it still looks real nice.

The "monsters" and creatures were really damn good. You could tell that the entire cast and crew put their heart into their work throughout this series.

Think about it: seven years is a very long time for a main cast to stick together; stick it out - especially at their tender age. Those kids really worked their asses off - and it showed.

There are episodes you just cannot miss. Please don't. Give 'em another chance.

Like :

The Body (Season 5, Episode 16: a real tear-jerker)

Once More, with Feeling (Season 6, Episode 7: staged like an old Hollywood musical)

Selfless (Season 7, Episode 5: the old movie flashback scenes are unbelievably hilarious)

...and many other gems I won't get into here. Maybe some other Buffy fans will come forward?

Yeah, Buffy didn't grab me at first - and "at first" meaning: just a few months ago - October 2006 - I watched my first episode, starting with the First Episode, First Season/First Year, and I haven't seen them in sequence.

(Yes, I've been severely chastised for watching them out-of-order)

For example, I've seen Season One (the first year), but then I skipped all the way to Season Six (except for the occasional Episode - which turned out to be superb; the one I mentioned above, "The Body") when the kids were older, situations were getting more outrageous, and then I watched Season Seven - the very last year.

From what I've heard (but not seen, because I haven't seen Seasons Two, Three, Four, or Five) the best Seasons - from what everyone tells me - have been Seasons One, Two, Five, Six, and Seven.

Here's the only ones I am able to make comment:

Season One (which I saw first), then I skipped to Season Six (and really got hooked), and then totally spoiled and cheated and watched the final year, Season Seven.

Sure, there were some characters I loved more than others:

Angel: hated him at first, but grew to tolerate him. Glad he went away (but he returned later to help Buffy and friends in some of the most frightening, dynamic, and suspenseful episodes late in the show). "Angel" got his own Series later - called (Duh!) Angel.

Cordelia: what a perfect Hollywood snob with self-loathing issues that she didn't even realize she had! Grew to adore her. She went over to the Series Angel for reasons I am unaware - because I haven't seen Angel at all.

Spike: what a punk! Hated him at first, but then he turned out to be one of very best characters. Funny actor. He stayed around to the very end.

Giles: gotta have the "Older Mentor" character, don't we? "Giles" was shy, kind of uncomfortable around the kids, but I learned to love him, too. His favorite domain was running the library at Sunnybrook High School, but later he opened a Magic Shop. Just full of old magic-y junk. It was a perfect move for him (and a chance for that wacky "Anya" - who was 1000 years old but never aged and was a total nutjob - to figure out what she liked - handling other people's money. But more on "Anya" later...)

Glory (!): from what I've seen of "Glory" so far, she's great! A very powerful demon goddess that even Buffy is frightened of, and every time Glory is around, she chews the heck out of the scenery. Literally! And never musses her perfect hair, nails, or lovely skin. I really like this actress that played "Glory".

Willow: liked her character from the start. A wallflower, she found herself (and love through her girlfriends when she discovered she was gay) and she got really wild 'n' wicked later! Whoa!

Tara: Willow's loving and wise lover, she was a real sweetheart. "Tara" was exactly what Willow needed to help her develop her talents.

Xander: gotta have the "Xander". He's the home-spun-educated, clumsy and oafish guy of the bunch - but he "Saves the day" quite often. And in Season Seven...well, what happened to him was a real shocker. But I'm not going to spoil anything for ya.

Buffy: great. Sarah Michelle Geller was perfect for this role of "The Slayer". She handed her scripts wth aplomb, really. I mean, she was a kid when she took the role, and...well, who else would have been better for the role of "Buffy"? I can't think of anyone else off-hand.

Buffy's Mother: perfect. A loving, but clueless and ever-worried "Mom". The actress chosen for this role was perfect.

Dawn: Buffy's little sister (of sorts). If you've watched the show you know who, uh, what "Dawn" really is. Irritating at first. I couldn't understand why the role of "Dawn" been had to be created, but later it made perfect sense: to attract younger viewers, and to open the show up for more storylines. Towards the end (in the last season), "Dawn" had grown on me and she became quite watchable.

Anya: If I had to pick one, my favorite character was "Anya", who hadn't yet been introduced in the episodes you've seen, Speck. "Anya" was a "Vengeance Demon" - and a real hoot! What a dangerous ditz! I love Anya! She brightened the screen every time she had a line - and Anya had some of the best lines in the whole show.

This is one Series I'm going to finish - even if I'm watching them terribly willy-nilly and out-of-order.

See, like I said in an earlier post - I love the monsters. I love the humor (it is just enough), I love the Period set pieces they inserted, I loved the situations, the way the vampires lived, the "rules" that the show set up for itself...

I've never enjoyed network TV so much as I have Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, but, okay - enough of "The Buff".

Did anyone enjoy Carnivale? This was one Series that ended too quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Extremely barbaric at times, with religious/demonic scary stuff and inhumane situations in the setting of a traveling carnival during the Great Depression (I think it was set during the Depression).

Disturbing and yet touching at times, Carnivale is another favorite of mine. One of the best HBO offerings yet - and I'm including The Sopranos (which I've seen my share of episodes at friend's homes and when I didn't fall asleep ).

Thanks for reading all this pap I've written here. I do have my moments of "Help! I'm talking and I can't shut up!"
Old 01-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #58

Ah Buffy! Brilliant show! Like Mark said, this show excells as far as writing is concerned. Wonderful story arcs, smart dialogues, great humor, etc. Plus, the production values were extraordinary. Not the mention the acting, allround fantastic again! It must be one of the first shows that I bought on dvd, knowing I would be rewatching it regularly.

My favourite seasons are probably the ones Mark hasn't watched yet. Season three (Faith!) and four, together with season two (Drusilla and Spike, best baddies ever) and seven are all top notch. Personally I thought season five and six were weaker for one reason only: Dawn. extremely annoying character, horrible actress.

Together with Once More, With Feeling, my alltime favourite episode is probably Hush from season four, starring these bad guys:

Very original as well, as due to a curse everybody looses their voice for most of the episode. That's right, no dialogues, no spoken word, zip, nada. Makes it kinda hard to warn anyone as those creepy guys are holding you down with the leader standing over you with a scalpel. Creepy stuff!

Angel actually was one of my favourite characters from the show, so I went out and bought the Angel seasons as well. Must say, I like them as much as Buffy! All seasons are excellent! Mark, you might want to try them. Again, good writing all around, good acting, very interesting season story lines and similarly high production values. I love the way they gave Cordelia a vital role in the Angel series where she becomes so much more than the bitch she was in the Buffy series. Plus, the return of some of the best villains of the Buffy series is a nice twist as well (especially Darla). Fred is probably my favourite character of the Angel series.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #59
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Speck, I truly wish you had stuck it out with Buffy. Please give Buffy another chance.
I gave it more than one try. I put it away twice, third time wasn't a charm.

*shrug*

There certainly are some seriously cute talent on that show, I'll give you that. But then, all'a Wheaton's shows do, it seems.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #60
Friendly Server Admin

I also couldn't get into Buffy. Even though the writing is clearly the same quality as Firefly, I just didn't enjoy it in its context within the show.