You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Which Shows Do You Watch On TV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #221
Stalker of Britain

I've been watching "Keeping Up Appearances" lately. A very funny Britcom, even if it repeats it's inside jokes a little too much. Great characters, and I just found an online forum that's a bunch of very friendl fans. Not as good as here, of course...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #222
kamikaze hummingbirds

As a student, I've spent a lot of time watching TV via the Internet.
So... thanks iPlayer, 4od, sites that stream South Park episodes, and also Stewart Lee's website (stewartlee.co.uk) -- which provides Google Video links to Fist of Fun and This Morning With Richard Not Judy, the most underrated British comedy serieses that desperately warrant a DVD release.

The ending to Lost was pretty decent, too.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #223
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I've been watching "Keeping Up Appearances" lately. A very funny Britcom, even if it repeats it's inside jokes a little too much. Great characters, and I just found an online forum that's a bunch of very friendl fans. Not as good as here, of course...
'Tis a fun show. Quite popular in Finland, though I don't think it's on right now (it gets reruns quite regularly though).

Though if you like britcom and have seen Monty Python, like everyone should've, you definitely need to get a hold of A Bit of Fry & Laurie. The second-best sketch show I've ever seen!

Right now there's nothing worth watching on TV except comedies. Well, I still haven't watched the last episode of Lost, but that doesn't count (and it should've been a much better show anyways). The ones that aren't reruns are
- 30 Rock
- The Simpsons (finally! we've been watching reruns^8 for years now - the shows actually seems funny now...)
- Chuck (just started a few weeks ago - looking good)
- My Name is Earl (it's alright - there's better, but there's also many much worse)
(Edit: Wait! I just started watching In Treatment a couple weeks ago! So it's not all comedies)

Then reruns:
- Friends (for the millionth time and third in a row but it never gets old!)
- Scrubs (I never watched intensively, so there's always episodes I've missed)
- South Park if there happens to be an episode I've not seen, like right now. It goes on and off on the regular channels and MTV sometimes shows some from a batch of maybe 5 episodes that everyone's seen a billion times.
- Frasier, though they're now showing rerun reruns and so I haven't watched in months. If they ever get to those episodes that I haven't seen since they first aired years ago (on a different channel), I'll get back to it.

I'm sure I missed something. Late evenings/nights tend to go with watching TV, although the not-quite-TiVo-but-something-along-the-lines-to-simplify-things (since that's not something that we have) is quite full right now, specially with the World Cup going on.

What I wish were on (and perhaps will be)
- Flight of the Conchords (one of the best things ever)
- The Big Bang Theory (or whatever it is in English - I was surprised at how good it is, I was expecting something mediocre, back when it first aired a couple years ago)

I wish there were something that could even partially parallel Twin Peaks, but alas, non-comedies always are so relationship drama and teen-plot-oriented that they are absolutely not worth watching. Or then they're just plain dull or depressing or boring. In any case: nothing worth watching - back to comedies! (Except for the Twin Peaks DVD box I have...)

Last edited by UPtimist; 06-23-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #224
kamikaze hummingbirds

Flight of the Conchords isn't returning for a third season, unfortunately...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #225
In an evening of July...

Father Ted, which is a good comedy, but not nearly as funny as some make it out to be.

Treme, superb production, great cast, charismatic characters, amazing score. Quality TV.

True Blood new season, enjoying it. Nazi werewolves!

Arrested Development for the fourth time, and I'm still finding new jokes, references and memes. What a packed show, one of the best. The commentary on the DVD is even better than the actual episodes, the whole cast had such a great flow going.

The Tudors, which is well made, but I'm getting tired of all the intrigues and two-faced characters.

Skins, S01 and 02 are really something else. No idea how accurate its portrayal of modern British youth is, but it sure looks intense. Also, some of the cast (like Hannah Murray) is really excellent. "Oh wow.. lovely!"
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #226
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Not presenting a good solution, after all these years of hinting and teasing, would be a total cheat. They can't get away with a less-than-satisfying explanation, and I'm sure they know it.
Seems like I was right by suggesting they wouldn't offer a real solution to all the mysteries in Lost. Interestingly enough, the critics seemed to be fine with that (see AV club podcast), and so was I. This makes people go back to the show, rewatch and discuss it over and over again instead of presenting some sort of solution that would be either 1.) too religious or 2.) too nerdy for the general audience.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #227
Stalker of Britain

Up-Actually, I don't really like Monty Python. *ducks head* I just don't find it as funny as people say it is. The Holy Grail movie was good, but I'm not into it much.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #228
kamikaze hummingbirds

*freezes in shock*

But seriously, Monty Python is hit and miss and Meaning of Life ain't that great, but the 'hit' moments of Flying Circus and the two other films more than make up for the misses.
I can understand why it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes.

Also, Fantsie, if you like British comedy -- I recommend The Young Ones, anything Armando Iannucci ever did, and those ones I mentioned earlier.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #229
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Also, Fantsie, if you like British comedy -- I recommend The Young Ones, anything Armando Iannucci ever did, and those ones I mentioned earlier.
Also, Black Books, Green Wing, Spaced and 15 Stories High, all brilliant British comedies.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #230
Stalker of Britain

Yes, some of my friends are obsessed with Black Books, and I do like Simon Pegg. "Hot Fuzz" was hilarious. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It's hard to get British programming over here, unfortunately.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #231
kamikaze hummingbirds

Oh, 15 Storeys High is one of the best shows ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34dPACE1blI
Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #232
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Flight of the Conchords isn't returning for a third season, unfortunately...
Yeah, and I did get to see the second season on cable (or whatever Canal+ is), though the regular channels still haven't showed it (they did the first) so I'm thinking maybe I'll get to see some more of the same goodness

And one can always hope they'll change their mind

Also, it seems my hopes about the Simpsons were to quick. They're back to really old epsiodes, just after I said that we have new ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Up-Actually, I don't really like Monty Python. *ducks head* I just don't find it as funny as people say it is. The Holy Grail movie was good, but I'm not into it much.
See, you already have Monty Python style comedy in your post, with "duck's head".

anyways, it's a bit of a hit and miss indeed (like, the cartoons are absolutely useless. I think that there was only one where I ever laughed, the rest I just fast forward), but like Hammy said the rest is so worth it. Plus, Michael Palin alone is just really awesome.

But still, even if you don't like that, A Bit of Fry & Laurie is a must! I don't know how popular it was/is in Britain and abroad, but it's just unbelievably funny. I'd dare to even call it as funny/funnier than Monty Python, and especially so if you don't even like Monty Python

And if you can't get it on TV, buy a DVD!

Last edited by UPtimist; 06-24-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #233
kamikaze hummingbirds

I love Terry Gilliam's cartoons, though.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #234
Life and times of...

It's a love it or hate it situation, I suppose
Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #235

Smallville (Life before Superman. It's ROMANTIC, DRAMATIC, FUNNY, ACTION)

Heroes (People who have super powers, and are supposed to help save the world, it's DRAMATIC, ACTION, ROMANTIC)

Supernatural (From you listings, i think this would be the best show you will EVER watch. I used to think it was stupid before i actually watched it, but now, Its one of my favorite TV shows. It's SCARY, DRAMATIC, FUNNY )

Cold Case (It's another show similar to CSI, Criminal minds, Etc. they Investigate OLD cases, that have never been.. well, investigated?)

Veronica Mars (About a teenage girl, who is a detective, or, well, just helps her dad, who is a detective, and it's really cool. she's really cool. It's FUNNY, DRAMATIC, ROMANTIC, ACTION)

Roswell (In my opinion, i don't really like it. at the moment i was watching it, i was saying to myself how cool it is and everything, but afterwards, i thought about it, and thought it was stupid, but maybe you'll like it. it's kinda about aliens. )
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #236
The Major Grubert.

Leverage, with Timothy Hutton. Not bad.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #237
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

This past season of Doctor Who was the best thing in sci-fi television since Babylon 5.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #238
kamikaze hummingbirds

Agreed.
I'm amazed how they manage to unexpectedly improve on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #239
It's Hard To Be Humble

Yeah, I forgot to mention Leverage. That's how's a lot of fun. And Moffat's Doctor Who, over all, has really been great for me.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #240
asian freak ;<

Send a message via MSN to Marte

Hm where to start.
- Gossip girl (of course!)
- Ugly Betty (to bad it's ended, such a feel-good series)
- Ghost whisperer (I'm a sucker for supernatural stuff)
- CSI NY, Miami and the original (love the screwed up cases)
- Naruto Shippuden
- Big Bang Theory
- Family Guy
- Talent-shows (Idol, [Insert Country]'s got talent etc.
- [Insert Country]'s next top model

Nothing extrordinary I guess ;P