You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Which Shows Do You Watch On TV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #201
Fing-longer Inventor

I'm just catching up on NCIS at the moment, and looking forward to the return of Fringe and LOST, also really into Seinfeld at the moment but that's more of a DVD thing than a tv thing.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #202
Stalker of Britain

LQ, I understand about the DVD thing. Most of my shows are off the air, so the tv shows I watch are all from dvd, and not the actual tv. Except for New Tricks, that's the only favorite show I don't have on dvd. lol :Frown:
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #203
Psychonaut

I used to watch this all the time in the 80's so here's a trailer for the movie version.

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help.
If you can find them maybe you can hire..

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-a-team/trailer
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #204
It's Hard To Be Humble

I get the feeling I may have posted in this thread before, but I have a headache and can't being myself to scan the entire thread to find out.

Television of the last 12 months has included:
- perennial fave Doctor Who (gonna miss Tennant, but looking forward to Moffat and Smith)
- Torchwood (which I'm just as eagerly looking forward to even though, and in fact because Davies is staying on)
- Life on Mars (which I discovered very late, but loved; it's so very much the way I'd write a 70s revisited police procedural; my admiration of John Simm shot up exponentially here)
- Ashes To Ashes (not as good as LoM, but it had its charms, including the note-perfect 80s cop show flavour, and Keeley Hawes grew on me; looking forward to the final season)
- Criminal Minds (too many episodes in a row bum me out, but it really is excellent)
- The Wire (same thing, but moreso, as it's taking longer to grow on me, as everyone in the cast was a bit too shady to really be likable)
- Lie To Me (totally brilliant if ridiculous premise, and the scripts and characterisations are fantastic in every sense; finally a Tim Roth performance I can enjoy)
- Alice (two-parter that rocked the classic story, but thankfully did not overstay its welcome, as it could have easily been cheesy)
- The Sarah Jane Adventures (not as gripping as DW or TW, but enjoyable)
- BSG (which is thankfully over, as it was really wearing down for me, and the finish left me disappointed; I've seen the pilot for Caprica, but don't know if I'm going to follow it)
- Pushing Daisies (technicolour silliness, and I haven't finished watching the series, but I think I'll miss it, though it was no Dead Like Me or even Wonderfalls)
- Speaking of which, the Dead Like Me: Life After Death TV movie was alright, but it rather missed the point of the series, lacking the moral compass that made the plots of the original series more poignant, even after Bryan Fuller was pushed off the show).

And that's pretty much it for series I watched this year, save that I started digging back into Farscape, which I still think it one of the top three sci-fi shows ever produced.

Side Note: I stopped watching Heroes a couple of years ago, when the story seemed to lose its way and they turned it into the Sylar Show, but I may tune back in now that Bryan Fuller is back.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #205
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Side Note: I stopped watching Heroes a couple of years ago, when the story seemed to lose its way and they turned it into the Sylar Show, but I may tune back in now that Bryan Fuller is back.
No he's not. He quit again to work on some pilots.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #206
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
And that's pretty much it for series I watched this year, save that I started digging back into Farscape, which I still think it one of the top three sci-fi shows ever produced.
I think Farscape is alright, but it's a little too out there and weird for me to blindly accept. Yes, some funny bits like (I even forget his name) was in Chriton's head, and I loved Crais (even met the actor). But it just didn't blow me away. A good show, but a little too weird where I felt like I didn't know what was happening most of the time, since the episodes seemed to start us in the middle of something. And I'm sorry I don't remember a lot of their names (or how to spell them), since it's been awhile. This is all in my opinion, of course.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #207
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
If you have a problem, and nobody else can help.
If you can find them maybe you can hire..

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-a-team/trailer
Wait wuuuuut?

Neeson as Hannibal? wtf thats just weird in so many ways. Baracus = Mr.T, no T no B.A.! argh!

Quote:
- Torchwood (which I'm just as eagerly looking forward to even though, and in fact because Davies is staying on)
I've watched 2 or 3 ep of TorchW and they were actually pretty good even if the leader was kinda lame, like trying to much to be as mysterious and cool as Tennant's Who, i dunno.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #208
Random

Woow. I've just seen the last episode of Six feet Under. What a masterpiece.

This is the most powerful television series I've ever had the privilege of watching. It really changes the way you look at life. I highly recommend that anyone out there who appreciates truly original pieces of work that dig into you and don't let go... watch this from beginning to end, a couple episodes a day. A few weeks ago I bought the whole serie DVDs (5 seasons) and watched it in about 2 weeks. It completely blew me away. No television series has ever come close to as hard hitting as this. Alan Ball is a genius.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-13-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #209
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I think Farscape is alright, but it's a little too out there and weird for me to blindly accept.
No problem. Farscape isn't really for everybody. If it had been, it wouldn't have gotten cancelled. It's the left-field stuff that hooked me, actually. Most television, and epsecially so-called sci-fi TV, bores me to tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
I've watched 2 or 3 ep of TorchW and they were actually pretty good even if the leader was kinda lame, like trying to much to be as mysterious and cool as Tennant's Who, i dunno.
It's harder to shine in an ensemble cast. I think Captain Jack is a great character that a lot of people really dig (if they can get past the sex thing). But I definitely think they have to do a lot more work with him in the series to really make him live up to the potential he has as a character. With Davies focusing on the series, I think it will find solid ground again. Davies isn't Moffat, but he is still the guy who made Doctor Who relevant to today. I'm sure he can do that for Torchwood.

And I think John Barrowman is awesome. He can definitely deliver the goods. We just need to see more work done with him.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #210
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

He's got an awful accent. I find it hard to get past that.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #211
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
I think Captain Jack [from Torchwood] is a great character that a lot of people really dig.
They kind of lifted him for the US crime drama New Amsterdam. It makes for a really awful crime solving premise. He has flashbacks of his own past that help him work out who committed whatever crime he's working on in the modern day. The hook for its teenager/threenager female audience being, he's handsome, rich, understands people so well but he's a tortured soul who cannot find his one true love... (when he does he stops being immortal so as to live a normal life with her).

Made for advertising.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #212
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

The new season of LOST finally started! The last season... *sniff, sniff*.

I still enjoy Dexter, Mad Men, etc. Darn good shows.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #213
Not like them!

Yes, LOST is back. Its first new episode disproved a bunch of the little details of the big theory I mentioned a few months back, but I think the core of the theory still makes sense. That doesn't mean I'm not as puzzled as everyone else about
Spoiler:
what the monster's "home" is,
though. That's a real head-scratcher.

Edit: By the way, this new season is much geekier than I thought anyone on broadcast TV would ever be allowed to be. It amazes me that they can get away with what they're doing now, without their bosses telling them "No. Stop. This is too crazy, only the really nerdy sci-fi fans will follow you where you're going and half of the rest won't even understand it on a basic level.". It's inspiring to see something with so much money on the line where the writers get to do whatever they really want to do, and there's just faith that the audience will be smart enough to follow along.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #214
Homer of Kittens

I guess they figured if people have followed them this far and the ratings are still pretty good, then why not let them continue what they are doing. It seems to be working ratings wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Yes, LOST is back. Its first new episode disproved a bunch of the little details of the big theory I mentioned a few months back, but I think the core of the theory still makes sense. That doesn't mean I'm not as puzzled as everyone else about
Spoiler:
what the monster's "home" is,
though. That's a real head-scratcher.

Edit: By the way, this new season is much geekier than I thought anyone on broadcast TV would ever be allowed to be. It amazes me that they can get away with what they're doing now, without their bosses telling them "No. Stop. This is too crazy, only the really nerdy sci-fi fans will follow you where you're going and half of the rest won't even understand it on a basic level.". It's inspiring to see something with so much money on the line where the writers get to do whatever they really want to do, and there's just faith that the audience will be smart enough to follow along.

Firefox rules
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #215
Dungeon Master

I was disappointed by the fifth, but if the season opener is anything to go by, this last season of Lost will be amazing. It was mysterious, action-packed, complex and satisfying. The little details like

Spoiler:
the missing pen on the plane which would already be a great in-joke for the fans as is, but also was promptly resolved in the Kate's escape scene?

Awesome. That's why I fell in love with the show in the first place. The writes seem to be on the top of their game.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #216
Stalker of Britain

I've been disappointed with this last season of LOST. I like the idea of having
Spoiler:
a storyline on the island and off,
but it's not really exciting me. I was very bored with yesterday's episode... I'm jsut hoping they'll live up to their word and answer all of these questions building up over the past 5 seasons, and it won't seem stupid.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #217
Not like them!

It's looking like my very thorough theory of LOST from a few months ago is going to be proven definitively wrong. Oh well, I tried.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #218
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Yes, I was discussing this with a fellow LOST fan and we decided that there are two arcs, those that live for the details, and those that just enjoy the arc without understanding the deep references. The show really is quite amazingly well designed to cater to both, hence, high enough ratings to stay afloat.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #219
The Quiet One

Okay, so maybe this show isn't being aired on TV anymore, and I never watched it whilst it was being aired either, but like every other show it's available on DVD in a box set or as separate volumes. But I have to strongly suggest to people to check out the anime series Death Note. It's bloody fantastic. This is a show that should (and does) appeal to loads of different people whether they like anime or not.

This isn't your stereotypical anime show either, but a serious psychological/supernatural/mystery thriller. And I know that these genres appeal to quite a number of Adventure Gamers here. I urge anyone here who likes these genres, and good solid animation, to check out this series. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't. If my recommendation doesn't convince you, which no doubt it won't and will go ignored, then you can check out all the praise it's received on countless websites.

Here's a brief synopsis:

Light Yagami is an intelligent young man who resents what appears to be a relentless increase of crime and corruption in the world around him. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers a mysterious notebook, known as the "Death Note", lying on the ground. The Death Note's instructions claim that if a human's name is written within it, that person shall die. Light is initially skeptical of the notebook's authenticity, but after experimenting with it, he realizes that the Death Note is real. After meeting with the previous owner of the Death Note, a shinigami named Ryuk, Light seeks to become "the God of the New World" by passing his keen judgment on those he deems to be evil or who get in his way.

Soon, the number of inexplicable deaths of reported criminals catches the attention of the International Police Organization and a mysterious detective known only as "L". L quickly learns that the serial killer, dubbed by the public as "Kira" (キラ?, derived from the typical Japanese pronunciation of the English word "killer"), is located in Japan. He also concludes that Kira can kill people without laying a finger on them. Light realizes that L will be his greatest nemesis, and a game of psychological cat and mouse between the two begins.

I have to be honest but at first, whilst the basic plot outline sounded interesting and intriguing, I was wondering just where the hell the story was going to lead and if it would develop into something more. That doubt was soon removed after the first four episodes. The story is great and really engrossing. It just gets better as it progresses - all the way to the fantastic climax at the end. The characters are deep, the main characters - Light and L are likeable, interesting and very clever. And there are more twists and turns than you could cut your teeth on!

Compared to a few English dubs I've heard, the dub to this isn't too bad. Personally though, I prefer to stick to the original language with subtitles, which is what I did. But anyone who prefers dubs to subs should be satisfied here.

Last, but by no means least, the animation is excellent. The show's pretty dark in nature and the colours/contrasts are great and just right. CGI is even used to great effect too.

Also, be rest assured that this show doesn't go on and on and on like many others. It only consists of 37 episodes spanning 9 volumes if you own the box set, or 5 volumes if you buy them separately.

The only issue I have is that there are the odd few plot holes. Thankfully these, to me at least, are few and didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Strongly recommend!

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 02-27-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #220

Family Guy
Hustle
Lost
Heroes