You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat This news depresses me :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default This news depresses me :(

I really love orangutans, lovely creatures they are, and reading this bit of news saddens me:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/11/16/apworld/20061116114312&sec=apworld

Quote:
Southeast Asia's Sumatra and Borneo islands are the orangutans' last homes, and environmentalists say the estimated 60,000 animals remaining could disappear from the wild within the next decade.

Hundreds of fires set annually by Indonesian farmers, plantation owners and palm oil companies are speeding things along, they say.

This year's blazes are some of the worst in 10 years and have sent a thick, choking haze over much of the region, especially Indonesia's Sumatra island and Borneo -- which is shared by Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.
It's true. The haze problem in this part of the world is getting worst every year. I wasn't there this year when the haze returned, but my friends emailed me and told me how bad it's getting. We're getting really pissed of with the Indonesian government. They keep promising they'll do something about the forest fires, but it never fails! Every year, during exactly the same season the haze comes back. Worst part is, a lot of the animals are suffering from this - especially the endangered species.

I don't know if it's fair to pin the blame 100% on the government, since there are still a surprising amount of ignorant people doing landclearings and open burnings in the forest without thinking of the consequences. I'm sure that most of them are aware that it's illegal.

Damn, I melt everytime I look at pictures of these creatures. They're so sweet to look at. I hate it when people don't respect Mother Nature!!!

*storms off*

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #2

Just 10 years? Damn, we really need to step up the pace of research on their psychology. (I'm assuming they integrate as badly as chimps or even worse)

Last edited by undeaf; 11-16-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The burning has been such a horrible and ongoing problem in that area. It's so hard to convince people to see beyond the immediate and what long term effects things like this have not only on the existence of the orangutans, other animals and the health of the environment but also the health of people who breathe in all of that smoke.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Party On Dudes

don't you guys love coca-cola?! you got a microsoft computer, right?! you are patriots i take it?! then what's the problem? business is better than ever! dolla dolla bill y'all!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

hmm.. I hate coca-cola, and I never buy coca-cola products, I don't have a microsoft comp, but I have Microsoft xp, witch came with my pc when I bought it used, and I'm not anything near a patriot..

Edit: I should probably have commented on the subject of this thread too, but I didn't really have anything to add... There's so much destruction of forest and animals now, and no mather what we try to say/do, it just gets worse, ppl. just don't wanna learn or change..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Schoolgirl From Hell

I didn't know that Terry Prachett is a trustee for the Orangutan Foundation UK. Hurrah for the man!

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Whatever you do, don't say the M word.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyminx View Post
I didn't know that Terry Prachett is a trustee for the Orangutan Foundation UK. Hurrah for the man!
he loves them so much he even made one the head of The Unseen University. i'm guessing he'll be the last known orangutan in existence pretty soon.

action over convenience.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Librarian, the long arms really help.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
Librarian, the long arms really help.
The better to scratch those hard to reach itches
Old 11-18-2006, 04:16 AM   #11
Party On Dudes

woops, i meant to say librarian, sorry.

i've let myself and everyone around me down, least of all the orangutans.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Creepy Father Figure

I had a man who was helping with a waste management problem at a printing company I worked for who went to that erea a few years back to help with loss of livestock near an oil refinery. Turns out they were dumping there waste out in open tanks with no liners so that the waste seeped right into the ground with no need for pumping out and proper disposal. They also ran there burnoff with no partical screeners. He told them what to do and they thought he was nuts because of the cost.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I had a man who was helping with a waste management problem at a printing company I worked for who went to that erea a few years back to help with loss of livestock near an oil refinery. Turns out they were dumping there waste out in open tanks with no liners so that the waste seeped right into the ground with no need for pumping out and proper disposal. They also ran there burnoff with no partical screeners. He told them what to do and they thought he was nuts because of the cost.
it's the same old, same old. people are expendible.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #14

I came across a picture of a dead orangutan recently - someone had poured fuel all over him and then setting him on fire. Poor thing was found dead in a puddle of water, presumably was trying to put out the fire. I felt quite sick even thinking about it right now.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie_pussycat View Post
I came across a picture of a dead orangutan recently - someone had poured fuel all over him and then setting him on fire. Poor thing was found dead in a puddle of water, presumably was trying to put out the fire. I felt quite sick even thinking about it right now.
erm... okay

Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
The better to scratch those hard to reach itches
The possibilities!