You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #41
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
I sound Scottish to English people and English to Scottish people...

Decide for yourself at http://www.grundislavgames.com/podcast/agscast9.mp3

Ok, I got it to work today for what ever reason it decided to work ...... nice accent.

*swoons*

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 11-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #42
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
I'm guessing you're refering to this. That doesn't look like the north central part of the US to me. One minute you're refering to it as the "northern" dialect, the next as "midwestern", when it's in the northeastern part of the states.
Actually I was referring to states from Ohio West to Nebraska. The accent referred to in the Wikipedia entry is what I think of as a "Chicago" accent, and that entry does say that it's strongest in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
It might sound very unique and odd to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cluster together with other variaties of english; from what I can tell, it clusters with the rest of the northeast.
When did I say it sounds "odd"?

But no matter. My intention was not to offend anyone and I have no desire to argue about this, so I'll drop it.

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 11-10-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #43

That entry says nothing of that sort. It says that chicago adds a central european accental feature to a great lakes area accent, not that it has anything to do with an ohio-nebraska accent.

Why would I be offended by you disagreeing with me? Annoyed, maybe. I sure would hope that you didn't intentionaly misread me explaining to rlpw that there is no non-southern US linguistic category.

Last edited by undeaf; 11-10-2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #44
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
That entry says nothing of that sort. It says that chicago adds a central european accental feature to a great lakes area accent, not that it has anything to do with an ohio-nebraska accent.

Due to the great amounts of European immigration to the Great Lakes region, especially Russian, German, Swedish, etc. etc. most people from that region sound very European.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #45
Roar?

Quote:
That's not odd at all. The dialect spoken in canada is the same one as the one spoken in the western half of the US.
I think you must mean Western Canada, because if you've ever been out East you'd find many different accents and at least five or six distinct dialects.

I have a bland slightly Canadian Maritimer accent now. I've managed to drop a lot of the accent and colloquialisms although people I meet outside of the Maritimes still peg me as a Nova Scotian.

Sometimes on the Internet I get teased for using so-called British words by people who don't realise that a lot of British words and phrases are still used in Atlantic Canada.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #46

No, Canada in general. It might sound a bit different to you, but they fall together into one category. Western US speech is closer to Canadian english in general than it is to eastern US dialects.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 AM   #47
Roar?

Not a bit different, drastically different. There's no way that a NFLD (or CB, or NB Acadian) accent is the same as a West Coast N. American accent.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #48

Mine is very much an accent in transition. I honestly never know exactly what I will sound like until I actually open my mouth. It varies from day to day, sometimes changes within a single day.

I try not to think too much about it, because when I do I become entirely too self-conscious.

Here is a very short film I did this past Sunday. My accent was more on the American side that day, I think. Take a look for yourself if you like. It recorded a bit on the quiet side, sadly, but a quick adjustment to speaker volume should take care of that.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #49

Eastern canada also includes ontario(and quebec), atlantic canada's just a tiny part of it.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #50
Roar?

Quote:
Eastern canada also includes ontario(and quebec), atlantic canada's just a tiny part of it.
Yeah, Quebeccers sound just like Western Canadians.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #51
Citizen of Bizarro World

What's this I hear about Quebec becoming a nation within a nation? And what does that even mean? Would it be kinda like Scotland?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #52
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I was on the phone with my father today, and he said I've developed a bit of a Californian accent. See, there is a difference!