You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Have you had one of these? (torn meniscus)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Second Degree Black Belt

Default Have you had one of these? (torn meniscus)

Dude I was in Karate last night and I tore my other knee up- my teacher thinks that I have a "torn meniscus". Shit this hurts like you would not believe.

When I was 16 I was in a car accident and since I'm so short (5 feet and 1inch) of course I sit close to the wheel. So anyway I got hit from the passenger side and my car buckled like a "u" around the front of the other car and I cracked both of my knees on the dash. Like a dummy I didn’t go to the hospital treatment. I was sore for a few days but I lived.

Now last night I was in class lunging off my back leg to kick someone in the head and my knee locked up..... now it cracks and pops and sounds like one of those bendable straws.

Has anyone every had a "torn meniscus" and if you did what did you do for it?

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Dude I was in Karate last night and I tore my other knee up- my teacher thinks that I have a "torn meniscus". Shit this hurts like you would not believe.

When I was 16 I was in a car accident and since I'm so short (5 feet and 1inch) of course I sit close to the wheel. So anyway I got hit from the passenger side and my car buckled like a "u" around the front of the other car and I cracked both of my knees on the dash. Like a dummy I didn’t go to the hospital treatment. I was sore for a few days but I lived.

Now last night I was in class lunging off my back leg to kick someone in the head and my knee locked up..... now it cracks and pops and sounds like one of those bendable straws.

Has anyone every had a "torn meniscus" and if you did what did you do for it?
I have an extended ligament that makes my knee pop just slightly out of socket. those Menensi are a different animal all together. your femur literally rides on those. All I can say is OOUUCCHH!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I have an extended ligament that makes my knee pop just slightly out of socket. those Menensi are a different animal all together. your femur literally rides on those. All I can say is OOUUCCHH!
no joke ooouuuucccchhhh I have been living on 1500 mg of Advil since 10pm last night..... this thing bloody hurts.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
no joke ooouuuucccchhhh I have been living on 1500 mg of Advil since 10pm last night..... this thing bloody hurts.
It doesn't hurt just stiffens up every now and then (no jokes please) and you better have a doctors excuse for that much Ibuprofen at one time, that stuff will eat up your stomach.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Bulldog - here is a pic of the knee and the cartilage you may have torn:

And please, please don't overmedicate with Ibuprofen (or any other pain relievers). Even more critical than your stomach are your kidneys. You can easily cause serious kidney damage (that may or may not be reversible) with too much ibuprofen. Get to a doctor so he can figure out what's going on and put you on pain medication that will relieve your pain without any problems.

That medication is over the counter but it can cause serious problems if not taken like the label says. I just don't want you to hurt yourself accidentally.

P.S. Are you taking 1500 mg at a time?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
capsized.

Even though I played football (er, SOCCER actually, duuuuuhhh ) a few years back, I never suffered an injury, can't help you there..

But, GIRL!

Quote:
You can't start a thread or post anything like that! You're a LADY! Sheeesh!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

My mother is a doctor, and she said you first should have it looked at, before more can be decided.

Maybe a knee endoscopy will have to be done.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Maybe a knee endoscopy will have to be done.

Sounds scary.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Lazy Bee

Bulldog
I would really like to see you do some of that karate but you've got to take it easy! Take all the good advice, see a doctor and get well soon!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

My father's a doctor, and he'd almost certainly say "Leave it alone and it will get better."

GPs are terrible at diagnosing relatives. Ignore my father. I do.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Party On Dudes

i really hope you get well soon bulldog, please don't strain your legs, i hope there's no permanent damage done.

i will get my religous friends to pray for you.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

And I will get my cannibal friends to prey on you.

Seriously, though, get well soon.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #13
Second Degree Black Belt

Thanks everyone for you thoughts and prayer. I am going to try and go to the Doctor this evening. My doctor stays open late on weekdays. I had a misprint; I am only taking 500mg of Advil not 1500mg….. Thanks rlpw for pointing that out.

Mel thanks for the picture it helps being able to see where things are located.

Jelena, Rob and Jazzy – Thanks for the advice.

Scrugates13 – Thank you for the prayers

Squinky - Tell your friends if they put some spices on me before they dine, I won’t taste so gamie

And last but not least ……

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
You can't start a thread or post anything like that! You're a LADY! Sheeesh!
Yes Dear samIamsad, thank you for saying I was a lady……. But I might just be the only lady that could whip your behind

(and you might enjoy it too )

Thanks again to everyone

Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

O.O

Christ, this sounds scarily painful. Even I would go to a doctor over something like this. And that's saying something. *shudder, twitch* I hope the pain goes away soon.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Second Degree Black Belt

Thanks Pink

Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #16
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

The meniscal tears are painful - have had them in both knees, but before they had arthroscopic surgery for them. They are shaped like crescent moons, and the thinest side of each is toward the middle of the knee, and that's where they tear, on that inside curve.

Without treatment, the loose piece will eventually fall off, leaving what's called a 'loose body' in the joint. These cause problems from time to time by floating into a bad place between the femur and tibia, and can temporarily prevent you from totally straightening or totally bending your knee, until it shifts back to a corner.

During arthroscopy, they use a 'shaver' to fragment the pieces and flush them out of the knee. You can't sew them back into place or otherwise fix them. They leave a place where the femur and tibia can rub against each other and erode the bone surfaces, that used to be protected by the cartilage discs.

Now all this assumes that what you have is a torn meniscus. If you have any stability problems, then you may have torn the medial or lateral collateral ligaments (see the pic above). Those can be repaired. They are the tight bands that hold your knee straight, and prevent it from sliding out of joint toward the inside or outside of your leg. It also could be the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament, though there's also a posterior one - the PCL, it's rarely torn that way). The two of them cross over in back of the joint and keep your knee from bending backwards the wrong way. An ACL tear can be excruciatingly painful. It too, can be repaired. You need to see an orthopedic doc - try to find a sports doc - they are the best to determine what's the best way to approach treating this kind of injury.

FGM
Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM   #17
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
The meniscal tears are painful - have had them in both knees, but before they had arthroscopic surgery for them. They are shaped like crescent moons, and the thinest side of each is toward the middle of the knee, and that's where they tear, on that inside curve.

Without treatment, the loose piece will eventually fall off, leaving what's called a 'loose body' in the joint. These cause problems from time to time by floating into a bad place between the femur and tibia, and can temporarily prevent you from totally straightening or totally bending your knee, until it shifts back to a corner.

During arthroscopy, they use a 'shaver' to fragment the pieces and flush them out of the knee. You can't sew them back into place or otherwise fix them. They leave a place where the femur and tibia can rub against each other and erode the bone surfaces, that used to be protected by the cartilage discs.

Now all this assumes that what you have is a torn meniscus. If you have any stability problems, then you may have torn the medial or lateral collateral ligaments (see the pic above). Those can be repaired. They are the tight bands that hold your knee straight, and prevent it from sliding out of joint toward the inside or outside of your leg. It also could be the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament, though there's also a posterior one - the PCL, it's rarely torn that way). The two of them cross over in back of the joint and keep your knee from bending backwards the wrong way. An ACL tear can be excruciatingly painful. It too, can be repaired. You need to see an orthopedic doc - try to find a sports doc - they are the best to determine what's the best way to approach treating this kind of injury.

FGM

Thanks FGM

Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #18
Second Degree Black Belt

Hello to everyone and thank you for all of your thoughts for me to have a quick recovery.

Just a quick update on my progress.

I went to the Doctor and she took some X-Rays there was no trauma to the knee joint (yeah ) all though she asked if I knew I had arthritis? I told yes I know. I have arthritis in both my knees, my right hip and I have three vertebras that are fussed together and have arthritis in those as well. But back on topic, anyway she referred me to an Orthopedic doctor on Friday for a MRI. But the doctor I saw last night told me that she did think that it is a torn meniscus. But the good news is that she thinks that it is torn in a way that it might heal on its own without surgery. I am so excited. Happy Dance

I called my karate teacher to tell him and he told me that he was laying in bed b/c the cyst that he had on his knee busted and he has a blood clot. If you all could please say a prayer for him, his name is Jack Davis. I will be going to the MRI doctor tomorrow so hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have further details.

Thanks again for you’re out pouring support. You all are the greatest