You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat That's it, we've gone and screwed it up! (a Global Warming thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #21
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Sam said
Well, that's a theory brought up by you now, yet, care to PROVE that? The way the world and everything around you is working right now, really everything is almost completeley dependent on ressources that are going to run out eventually. With the ongoing rise for demands on all of these ressources, rather sooner than later. There's a reason to be at least a tiny little bit worried, even if all of this will possibly/probably/definitely(?) not affect you in your lifetime.
We have renewable, nuclear, and to top it off there will be available energy on this planet till the sun burns out, of course then it will engulf the Earth in an expansion so it won't matter there.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Panthera said
Al Gore's movie was for us Norwegians
Did you know that Al gore said he also invented the internet and he and Tipper Gore were the basis for the movie Love story? If you wanna pick a hero please do not use him! The only reason that Al Gore did not get elected is he was dumber than the last Vice President who couldn't spell potatos

Quote:
And she also said
Answer me this: Does it hurt society that we cut down on oil, spray boxes, CO2 and other such stuff? does it hurt that we force the factories to clean their gasses and think about nature?

No, In that to me you are right. Frugality is a virtue! Now go do your homework (snicker)

Quote:
And this
Any way you put it, even if you don't believe in global warming, you can still see the effect the factories toxins have on forest and animals..
She has me there too

But the global warming thing is what you call an 'Ad hoc Ergo Procter Hoc' argument (hope I spelled that right)

Last edited by rlpw; 10-25-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I keep finding reasons to agree with Panthera... Damnit!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #23
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Did you know that Al gore said he also invented the internet and he and Tipper Gore were the basis for the movie Love story? If you wanna pick a hero please do not use him! The only reason that Al Gore did not get elected is he was dumber than the last Vice President who couldn't spell potatos
My point was that I don't think Al Gore is a hero, everything he's saying is for other than americans, old news, and his movie is after what I've heard not very good, but maybe America needs a "famous" person to tell them things, or they'll never listen.

I would pick Gore over Bush any day though..

Oh and the documentary is British by the way..

Quote:
Now go do your homework (snicker)
This can be counted as doing my homework actually.. I'm talknig about Global Warming, America, sienticts, fits right in in the subjects I'm taking..

Samfunnsfag (Witch I don't know what to translate too.. directly it means society studies, but it is much more) and Newer History

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #24
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Samfunnsfag (Witch I don't know what to translate too.. directly it means society studies, but it is much more) and Newer History
Current events or Modern Anthropology?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm too busy to find the sources that show both of those allegations about Gore are utter and complete bullshit concocted by someone misquoting and often used to make the guy look bad when there's nothing better to say. The guy ain't perfect but those two things just aren't true.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Umm.. I think current events are the closest, but not exactly right that either.. you're supposed to know about the political parties in norway (don't really have to read up on this) the justice system, your place in society, Norweigan society compared to the world, EU, FN, worketics, economy's influence on the world, peace, war etc..
Most of the subject is about our government, rules and regulations though..

I think this was the documentary I saw
BBC news

oh, look I found it on Google video, but the version I saw was one hour..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 10-25-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #27
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I'm too busy to find the sources that show both of those allegations about Gore are utter and complete bullshit concocted by someone misquoting and often used to make the guy look bad when there's nothing better to say. The guy ain't perfect but those two things just aren't true.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...ess_vs_al_gore
Old 10-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
Live Slow Die Old

A little late on the reply, but here goes:

Quote:
Fact #1: Most folks do not reallize what the largest producer of greenhouse gasses, pollution, ozone depleting chemicals, and carbon monoxide isn't human beings but the Earth herself. The actual ejection of material from man is less than 1% of the total that comes from volcanic and storm activity.
This may be (and I believe you're right, not necessarily about the 1%, but about us not being the largest producers of greenhouse gases). But unlike volcanoes and storms, which have likely been quite consistant in the history of this planet, humans seem to be on a downward spiral, emitting more and more every year that passes. Look at the gases produced by nature today and 1000 years ago and compare that to the waste caused by humans. No I haven't drawn up a pie chart for you, but I could picture what it would look like.

Quote:
Fact #2: The last few thousand years according to actual PHYSICAL evidence from ice core samples in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres shows that we have been in a much more stable in the last few hundred years. For instance, 5000 years ago the North American Plains went through a 1000 year drought, There weren't enough humans to cause it.
True, the earth goes through these fairly massive trends over history, something we've been able to learn more about from these ice core samples that you've mentioned. Everyone knows that there was an ice age not that long ago, and one before that and another before that in fairly regular intervals. In between ice ages it gets warmer, obviously not as a result of man. But according to these ice cores samples and BBC, which I more or less trust on these things, "Initial tests on gas trapped in the ice core show that current carbon dioxide (CO2) levels are higher than they have been in 440,000 years." And that's including the 6 ice ages (and subsequent "warm ages" or whatever you want to call them).

Sure, the climate changes on its own, but we've done more as a species than any other in the last 440,000 years, which has been scientifically proven (meaning people who know what they are talking about have more or less unanimously agreed on this kind of thing), to pull the climate to an unprecedented extreme.

Quote:
Fact #3: America has more oil reserves than any other country. The Alaskan Oil Reserve and Gulf of Mexico Oil Reserve are as large as all the Middle Eastern Oil Deposits. Runnig out of oil in the next hundred years is not a problem, The need to find cleaner ways to produce energy is. (woops went into editorial mode)
Whether or not we run out of oil in the next 100 years isn't really the issue here. The issue is that we are consuming more of it, per person, than the planet can handle.

And finally, yes, Al Gore is a bit of a tool, but I agree that if it takes someone recognizable to get people thinking about something as serious as this, then more power to him. And I couldn't care less what he may or may not have said about Love Story. He didn't do the research in his film, he's only presenting it to us. People who have been doing this kind of thing their entire lives did the research. I don't think Al Gore went out of his way to tamper with their facts to make himself look like a hero. But again, I reiterate, he's a bit of a tool.

Last edited by Flyboy; 10-25-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #29
Live Slow Die Old

Sorry, I really have to stop with the long posts. I realize no one ever reads them. Oh well.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #30
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Sorry, I really have to stop with the long posts. I realize no one ever reads them. Oh well.
Keep posting um buddy to me when people debate and express opinion they are doing what makes the free world great! Unlike China who has to have there religions approved by the government and sells body parts from it's political prisoners.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #31
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I wonder where or how you got that impression. I've read longer messages than yours, you know.

--Erwin
Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #32
Lovable rogue

I don't get why it's suddenly in vogue to be an eco-warrior.

Caring about the environment used to be the territory of those damn tree-hugging hippies.

Suddenly everyone is "emissions this" and "greenhouse gasses that" and inserting "hybrid" and "Prius" into every other sentence.

It's just not right, even my precious Conservatives have changed their logo to a tree drawn by a stroke victim!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #33
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
I wonder where or how you got that impression. I've read longer messages than yours, you know.
I don't know why but I get the feeling that people gloss over long posts. I try not to myself, although if there's a lot of catching up to do on a thread, I tend to only read the shorter stuff (which is stupid, I know).

Quote:
Keep posting um buddy to me when people debate and express opinion they are doing what makes the free world great! Unlike China who has to have there religions approved by the government and sells body parts from it's political prisoners.
I like a good debate as much as the next guy and I'm glad there are people like you here to disagree with (I really do mean that in the best of ways). And that China bit sounds horrific. I wonder if it's true (the religion part I could easily picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I don't get why it's suddenly in vogue to be an eco-warrior.
Well there are certainly worse things that can be in vogue, like those MC hammer pants, so we probably shouldn't be complaining.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #34
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Well there are certainly worse things that can be in vogue, like those MC hammer pants, so we probably shouldn't be complaining.
Can't touch this!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #35
Creepy Father Figure

Stop.. Hammertime!!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #36
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Wow, I wonder if he realized just how stupid he looked. I mean someone must have mentioned it to him at some point.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #37
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I dunno. I always thought that the glasses and stuff didn't look too bad.

The clothes, though...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #38
Creepy Father Figure

Compared to the guys running around with there pants past there butt showing off there fancy boxers I think he was tame!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #39
Party On Dudes

the highest carbon dioxide emissions (a year):

1) USA 1, 480, 000, 000 tons

2) china 840, 000, 000 tons

3) russia 390, 000, 000 tons

4) japan 300, 000, 000 tons

5) india 280, 000, 000 tons

6) germany 220, 000, 000 tons

7) UK 140, 000, 000 tons

8) canada 120, 000, 000 tons

9) italy 110, 000, 000 tons

10) mexico 100, 000, 000 tons

india's emissions are practically all used for western countries.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop

Last edited by SCRUGAtes13; 10-26-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #40
Creepy Father Figure

Annual emission rates, Mount St. Helens 1980-1988
Year
kilotons (metric)
1980 222
1981 105
1982 45
1983 39
1984 26
1985 13
1986 17
1987 3.5
1988 2.5
An estimated 1.5 million metric tons of sulfur dioxide gas was discharged by Mount St. Helens during the explosive eruption of 18 May 1980. Thus, approximately 2 million metric tons of sulfur dioxide was released during the whole eruption sequence.

The terrible part of this is there are volcanic sights called Calderas that are several Kilometers wide and when they go off they hurl everything straight up. Like at Yellowstone
How Foolish us Mortals be to think we are any match to the power of Gaea

Last edited by rlpw; 10-25-2006 at 04:21 PM.