You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat How to prevent a hangover

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Live Slow Die Old

Default How to prevent a hangover

I'm bleeding from from my left pinky finger because I just punched a can (completely unrelated to my night of drinking) and I'm sitting here wondering: how do you prevent a hangover? I've always believed that a few glasses of water will do the trick, but this German bloke I spoke to tonight said otherwise.

What do you think? What's the magic cure/prevention? Look at that pretty Sam and Max advert at the top. It looks sweet. Maybe I'll spend the money.

I'm drunk.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

Abstinance,
Other than that 'If ya play ya gotta pay'
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #3

I think the German bloke is wrong. Drinking water is supposed to help, and I've never heard anyone else say that it doesn't.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I don't drink myself, but if it helps people buy Sam & Max, I can't complain.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #5

Drink more. It sounds stupid, but here's the explanation: when you drink, because your body is busy breaking down ethanol, breaking down methanol gets backlogged. When you stop drinking, methanol processing resumes at a faster pace than normal, and it's the increased level of methanol byproducts that make you feel sick.

But I never drink, so I can't confirm from experience that it works.

Also, herbal tea seems to be able to treat anything.

How bad is a hangover anyway? Is it as bad as a migraine?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
is not wierd

Water does in fact help. I've never had a hangover because I make an effort to drink a glass of water between drinks. The idea of a hangover (I believe) is that your body's depleted of water after all that alcohol consumption (particularly in the brain, I suppose), so keeping the body full of water will make the alcohol's effects lesser, supposedly. Also, having a full stomach before/during the drinking will help you get less drunk or something (as a rule I haven't ever drank when on an empty stomach so I can't vouch for it). My body might also simply not be prone to bad hangovers or something, as I haven't tried drinking without water or on an empty stomach...but I'm pretty sure they help as one time I definitely got trashed enough to throw up all over the place and not remember a pretty solid 20-40 minutes...and didn't get a hangover.

I too have heard herbal teas help but more during the hangover than before the hangover.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Methanol is a different type of alcohol which is metabolized to formate which ends up blinding humans who drink it (but not rats).

Ethanol is metabolized to acetaldehyde by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. The acetaldehyde is then metabolized by aldehyde dehydrogenase to acetic acid which is then excreted in the urine. It's the buildup of acetaldehyde which is one of the things that causes some hangover symptoms. You just have to wait until your liver recovers and makes more enzyme to break down acetaldehyde. Drinking water is also important.

100% ethanol used to be used as an antidote to antifreeze (ethylene glycol) toxicity in animals. Ethylene glycol is metabolized by the same enzymes as ethanol but it's metabolite (oxalic acid) causes renal failure. So you want to stop or reduce the amount of metabolite and make the enzyme work on its preferred substrate ethanol. Nowadays, they have a product that I believe actually inhibits the enzyme so you don't have to make the dog drunk to cure it.

*ends science geek mode*

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-14-2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: sounded too grouchy
Old 10-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Have a Bloody Mary. That'll do the trick.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Also, drinking more alcohol when you can't fully get rid of the stuff you've already taken in will only make you sicker. Ethanol is a direct irritant to the stomach lining (hence if you drink too much, you... you know... ).
Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've always thought that drinking water helps, and it has helped so far always. That's all I know.

Mel answered this question pretty thoroughly.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Mel answered this question pretty thoroughly.
Probably too thoroughly.

Undeaf's basic premise with methanol is true in that with methanol poisoning, alcohol would do what he said but any alcohol consumed by humans from a bar or liquor store never contains methanol. It's only put in ethanol for lab or industrial use to avoid liquor taxes and keep people from drinking it.

I'll shut up now.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #12

So how bad is a hangover? Does it make you unable to do anything but lie in a dark room and scream like a monkey at anyone that comes near?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
How am I not myself?

Steer clear of brandy...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

steer clear of vengeful ninja wizards too.

not just in this situation, but generally.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #15
Live Slow Die Old

Aha! No hangover! See, water does work. At least it works for me. I always try to eat first and drink water after.

And how bad is a hangover? I've only been hungover twice in my 10 or so years of drinking. The first time happened to be the first time I got drunk. I was on a school trip in France and drank far more than my little frame could handle. I threw up all over this guy's patio and wasn't able to watch the drinking scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark the next day.

The second time was much more recently at a party I threw for some co-workers. I drank myself silly for about 5 or 6 hours, threw up all over my bathroom, then felt like dying the next day. I was really dizzy all day long, completely dehydrated, and couldn't handle bright lights or loud noises. It wasn't too fun.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #16
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
See, water does work
i hope nobody reads that wrongly and ends up goes to the seaside with some sort of huge container.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #17
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I can't help but feel that, since the point of a hangover is to tell you that you've drunk more than you should, actively looking for ways to prevent it is missing the point. If you're getting a hangover then your body is telling you that you're drinking too much. The only realistic long-term solution to that problem is to drink less...

(Of course, it's easy to say that, particularly when one doesn't like alcoholic drinks much.)

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Water does in fact help. I've never had a hangover because I make an effort to drink a glass of water between drinks.
That's what I do too. Have a glass of water beside the glass of red wine. If there has been lots of alcohol during the night I drink lots of water before going to bed.
And I don't mix different types of alcohol during one night. It's either beer or wine. If there's a party with drinks, beer wine and then whisky I tend to feel terrible the next morning. I only do that twice a year. Midsummer Eve and New Years Eve.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #19
DAVE

Having a full stomach while drinking your ass off to a bender isn't exactly the best of ideas. Point being your stomach won't be full for long. Yeah, alcohol dehidrates your body particularly in the brain, I've always used water as my hangover medicine and I've never had one in my whole life.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #20
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic View Post
Steer clear of brandy...
Man, that one time I was talking about when I got completely trashed and threw up....that was brandy. I had two glasses of it, which....I guess is roughly equivalent to ten shots. Ouch.

Which reminds me, don't expect the effect to hit you immediately. My problem was I drank one glass of brandy and didn't feel too bad so I decided to drink another and even then I didn't feel too terrible after that. It was about 20 minutes later that I started going down. So I guess my point is, don't drink it all at once. Let some time pass between drinks so that you won't rush it to get the buzz.