Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent Splurges (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/17195-recent-splurges.html)

lumi 07-14-2007 01:37 PM

I bought a couple new polo shirts and some low socks to go with shorts. Last weekend I also bought "The Ancestor's Tale" and "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. In a day or two I'll buy some more cologne.

Davies 07-15-2007 02:56 AM

I just raided the "4 for £10" bin at Blockbuster, and ended up with:
- I, Robot
- Hellboy
- House of Wax (the modern version)
- The Prestige

I've seen I, Robot and Hellboy already and they're OK. House of Wax got decent reviews when it came out, and is supposed to be quite scary. I don't remember many newspaper reviews of The Prestige, but it got a good mention in Magicseen magazine!

They've got to be worth £2.50 each, at any rate.

Jatsie 07-15-2007 04:41 AM

There are two good things about House of Wax, Chad Michael Murry takes his shirt off, and Paris Hilton dies, the last one is undeniably worth that £2.50. :D

Not A Speck Of Cereal 07-15-2007 06:49 PM

Damn, I did it again. I browsed online while inebriated:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/9380/

I should hide the plastic when I've been drinking.

Davies 07-16-2007 02:26 AM

I've been on eBay again, browsing in the too-tempting sections.
Graphic Idea Notebook
The Essential Dave Allen
The Almost Totally Complete I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

The graphics book is bought and paid for. The other two are ending very shortly and I look set to get them.

Kolzig 07-16-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 425511)
Millennium Season 3 arrived today.

There goes another week.

Excellent show, I salute you Mr. Lacey. :)

RLacey 07-16-2007 01:10 PM

Heh. After two and a bit seasons in about three weeks, the theme tune is stuck in my head.

Forget a second X-Files movie. Give me a Millennium one!

Not A Speck Of Cereal 07-16-2007 06:56 PM

I couldn't agree more. Frank Black cooler than Agents Mulder and Scully. What's more, the show was just done better.

I've seen every X-Files EP more than once, but never felt the need to own it. Millennium is a different story.

Hammerite 07-16-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal (Post 425968)
I couldn't agree more. Frank Black cooler than Agents Mulder and Scully.

Well he was in the Pixies, so he's got to be pretty cool! :D

Trumgottist 07-25-2007 07:27 AM

I bought a T-Bone yesterday. A second-hand Boosey & Hawkes for 3000 SEK. It has a nice tone. The slide needs to be fixed - it sticks a bit - but I think it was a nice purchase. It certainly is nicer than the bone owned by the school that I have been playing on.

(And I have another, more unusual, instrument ordered. That is more exiting, but also more questionable how useful it'll be to me, and if it was wise to spend $1400 on it. It's not a wind instrument, and I'll be playing this one for fun - and to learn more about music from another angle - but I won't be using it professionally. They're currently building it... I'll let you know more when I have it in my hands.)

After this, I shouldn't make any more "splurges" this year. My wallet is getting a bit thin.

lumi 08-10-2007 07:04 PM

Apocalypse Now - Complete Dossier Edition
Aguirre: the Wrath of God
Glengarry Glen Ross

RLacey 08-11-2007 01:37 PM

I don't know why they never released the Complete Dossier edition of Apocalypse Now in the UK; I had to import the American version.

I've recently bought Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose for the grand total of £1.99.

It's really not that bad, as Meat Loaf goes. I've also bought a whole load of DVDs, most of which I've watched and commented on in the "Recent Movies Seen" thread.

And, finally, a few books: Tim Burton's The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories and a self-explanatory book entitled Boring Postcards. That and a complete Chaucer. All three were very cheap.

Trumgottist 08-11-2007 01:54 PM

Boring Postcards?

RLacey 08-11-2007 02:06 PM

Yeah. It's a book of postcards that are really boring. Think photographs of shopping centres, the insides of hairdressers and motorway service stations, and you'd be pretty much on the mark. They become hilarious through being bad, though.

I've just ordered a triple pack containing Walk the Line, Sideways and Good Night, and Good Luck for £5.23. Single-disc editions, sadly (though this only affects Walk the Line), but at that price...

tsa 08-12-2007 12:49 PM

I just ordered:

- Runaway: a road adventure
- The ugly prince duckling
- Bad mojo redux
- Voyage

And I decided (with some help) that I will treat myself to a new iMac.

:P

Lucien21 08-13-2007 09:28 AM

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1...reader3xj9.jpg

My Sony Reader arrived today.

Cool. Now to load the books I'm taking on hols.

tsa 08-13-2007 12:29 PM

Is that one of those e-ink thingies?

Melanie68 08-13-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 434141)
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1...reader3xj9.jpg

My Sony Reader arrived today.

Cool. Now to load the books I'm taking on hols.

*whistles*

Also, is it the size of a paper back? It looks nice. It'll save you some space in your carry on. Does it have any sort of WiFi capability that you have to worry about keeping off on the plane or do you download books via a cable?

Lucien21 08-13-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 434161)
Is that one of those e-ink thingies?

Yes. The screen is amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 434162)
*whistles*

Also, is it the size of a paper back? It looks nice. It'll save you some space in your carry on. Does it have any sort of WiFi capability that you have to worry about keeping off on the plane or do you download books via a cable?

It's slightly bigger than a paperback, but not by much. It's waaay thinner and can hold about 80 books internally and you can use up to a 4gb SD card to put a lot more on it.

You connect with a USB cable. No Wifi involved so I won't bring the plane crashing down while reading. :)

Sage 08-13-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 427729)
I bought a T-Bone yesterday. A second-hand Boosey & Hawkes for 3000 SEK. It has a nice tone. The slide needs to be fixed - it sticks a bit - but I think it was a nice purchase. It certainly is nicer than the bone owned by the school that I have been playing on.

I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to make the connection between "T-Bone" and trombone. With your reference to the sticky slide, I was sitting here wondering if "T-Bone" was Swedish slang for either a dobro or a steel guitar!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 427729)
(And I have another, more unusual, instrument ordered. That is more exciting, but also more questionable how useful it'll be to me, and if it was wise to spend $1400 on it. It's not a wind instrument, and I'll be playing this one for fun - and to learn more about music from another angle - but I won't be using it professionally. They're currently building it... I'll let you know more when I have it in my hands.)

You're getting a theramin? Cool! :D