You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #461
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Yesterday I splurged on this:

It's a tripod with flexible legs. I want to use it for macro photography, especially outside and close to the ground. Does any one of you maybe have experience with this thing? I also bought the spiked feet so it doesn't slip:

Oooh, a Gorillapod! I have experience with it, and can only recommend it. Not only is it perfect for uneven ground, but you can even wind the legs around railings and the like if there's no ground available.

I did manage to bring it to its limit though.

This picture was taken from the top of a rock right beside the Sphinx, onto which all the visitors go to view the head of ol' Sphinxy more closely. I was trying to take a picture of my two Pinky:St figures in front of it (the blurry little heads visible at the bottom). However, to even get this picture the way you see it, I had to not kneel, not crouch, NO, I had to lie *flat* on the floor and try and take best advantage of what little lower ground (the rock was rather uneven) there was compared to the point where my little figures stood. (There was no railing or line of stones I could take advantage of. Anyone could have fallen down at any time) there was, always trying not to get stepped on by the other tourists. The guards and tourists must have thought I was insane.

Also, in the end one of my Pinkys toppled over, and while I was able to catch it, the head detached (nothing unusual, as they're intended to be swappable. You can even switch the hairdos), and is now keeping the Sphinx company. I am happy for the Sphinx, because it must be awfully boring lying there all day, with all the friendly tourists being kept at a distance, so that you have nobody to talk to - though I wonder what archaeologists in a few thousand years will think when they once again dig out the Sphinx (remember, the Sphinx wasn't always out in the open like this. It had been blown over with sand for quite some time [even in the actual time of Ancient Egypt, that had happened several times] and it's only a matter of time until it happens again. ) and find the detached head of my Pinky.

But those problems weren't really due to the gorillapod. It was just a very bad overall setup for taking a photo like that. The goriallpod served me really well. ^_^

Oh, and here's a much better picture I took with the help of it:

(the stone in the front was intentional)

Where did you get the spike feet for the gorillapod from, tsa? I think I could use those too.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #462
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I picked up a load of on-sale HD DVDs (which I can't actually play yet, but organisation for that is in hand):

Atonement
The Big Lebowski
Doom
Elizabeth
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Firewall
Hulk
Jarhead
Out of Sight
Ray
Twelve Monkeys

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #463
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Oooh, a Gorillapod! I have experience with it, and can only recommend it.

Where did you get the spike feet for the gorillapod from, tsa? I think I could use those too.
I don't think it weird at all to lie flat on your tummy to take a picture the way you want it Jaz. Pity your Pinkys got so blurry though.

I ordered the spikey feet from the Joby website, and the American part at that. I couldn't order them from the Dutch part of the site. But the Americans ship them for only 3 dollars or so. The feet cost me something like 10 euros including shipping. They're only available for the SLR-zoom Gorillapod though.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #464
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I picked up a load of on-sale HD DVDs (which I can't actually play yet, but organisation for that is in hand):

Atonement
The Big Lebowski
Doom
Elizabeth
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Firewall
Hulk
Jarhead
Out of Sight
Ray
Twelve Monkeys
The Big Lebowski is very cool and very funny. One of the better Coen Brothers movies.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #465

Quote:
I don't think it weird at all to lie flat on your tummy to take a picture the way you want it Jaz. Pity your Pinkys got so blurry though.

I ordered the spikey feet from the Joby website, and the American part at that. I couldn't order them from the Dutch part of the site. But the Americans ship them for only 3 dollars or so. The feet cost me something like 10 euros including shipping. They're only available for the SLR-zoom Gorillapod though.
Do you also consider it normal to lie flat on your stomach when around you are masses of tourist filing along. No, don't answer that, I know myself it's normal when one wants to get a proper picture - Then ends justify the means and all that.

Only for the SLR-Zoom? Not even for the SLR?

Darn. I only got the SLR.

-

Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #466
tsa
Playing character

Sorry Jaz...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Back in primary school I had a Lamy ABC, which here in Germany is the standard children's beginner fountain pen. Lamy fountain pens are special in that they have a rather long cartridge that fills out the whole pen.
See here.
Hey, I think I might have had one of those.

But not very likely, I don't remember the cartridge being that long.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
Hey, I think I might have had one of those.

But not very likely, I don't remember the cartridge being that long.

I *think* you could put regular cartridges in too - Lamy just didn't want to admit to it.

-

Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #469
tsa
Playing character

The Waterman I have at work, and the Parker I have in my study at home also take long cartridges. They are becoming quite standard. I think you can also get them for Mont Blanc.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #470
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've bought myself some more HD DVDs, and a Blu-Ray/HD DVD player (the LG GGC-H20L, which is cheap and cheerful).

Oh, and a copy of Watchmen, which I've never read before now.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #471
tsa
Playing character

Today my Gorillapod arrived! It's cool; it hold my camera plus macro lens beautifully. This is one of the first pictures I shot with it:

I will get the spiked feet later since they have to come from overseas.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #472
The Major Grubert.

I love my Gorillapod
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #473
Psychonaut

I bought a new touch screen mobile.

LG Viewty Specifications

• 5 MP digital camera
• Schneider-Kreuznach optics
• Manual Focus & Auto Focus
• Xenon flash light
• Mobile XD Engine
• 30fps VGA movie
• 262.000 TFT LCD Display
• Video recording
• Ultra High speed video capture (120fps)
• Divx Playback (up to VGA 30fps)
• Video formats H.264, H.263, MPEG4
• TV out
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #474
tsa
Playing character

That looks nice. Can it make phonecalls too?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #475

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

It's indeed beautiful, Lucien!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #476
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
That looks nice. Can it make phonecalls too?
More importantly, can you check on your facebook page?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #477
tsa
Playing character

I really needed a new frying pan, so I bought this one today:

Later today my garage told me I had to spend a huge amount of money on my car to get it back to tip top condition. Ouch .

Edit: I got the spiked feet for my Gorillapod today. They look dangerous; there's even a warning on the package. I will try them out in the garden as soon as the weather is warm enough.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #478
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I bought shampoo today, that's my recent splurge.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #479
tsa
Playing character

Cool! What kind?

I got my car back. It took them two days to do all the repairs, mostly because they had to wait for parts. It's as good as new again. I'm a happy driver again!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #480
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It was just some cheap stuff.

Hey! I've repaired my old Mazda also recently. They will still repair some stuff on Monday, for example the rear bumper will be changed to a new, but used one. I managed to do some damage to that in December...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.