You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #361
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

^_^

Yes, these shoes are actually rather comfortable. The split is between the large toe and the index toe, even if it might look as if it's more to the middle. It's a bit like wearing flip flops, I guess, only that flip flops are a lot more uncomfortable.

Tabi are normally the socks with the split toe you'll find worn in Geta sandals in Japan, for example. The shoes are usually called "Jika-Tabi", as far as I know. But the fact that there's special socks really shows that many people in Japan must wear shoes that in some way have the large toe separate from the rest of the toes.

Also, the method of closing them is surprisingly comfortable too. You see those metal slips at the back? You slip them into a loop on the other flap, so that they point in the direction of the flap they are on. That way they are lying very flat and close to the skin. When I got my first Jika-Tabi (simple, black ones also worn by workers. The sole of them is glued on without wrapping around the toes like the these new ones have it. They are rather tough, and the sole isn't damaged. Still, I'm always afraid it might peel away one day, so these new ones are a blessing. Also, the others go higher up on my calf.) I was sceptical and afraid it might hurt. But you don't even feel the tabs, as they are not *directly* on the skin, but have part of the other flap between.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 07-06-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #362
tsa
Playing character

I splurged on some underwear yesterday. Amazing: I took home more plastic than cloth. Every piece was packed in a thick plastic box that weighed more than the garment inside. Unfortunately I didn't have much choice: those were the only ones that fit me.

Last edited by tsa; 07-06-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: I make a lot of spelling errors lately
Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #363
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I splurged on some underwear yesterday.
*snickers*
Old 07-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #364
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
[Jedi Mind Trick]You want to go to the "Recent Splurges" Thread and comment on my new shoes[/Jedi Mind Trick]
Looks nice...

!

They've got hooves!?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Looks nice...

!

They've got hooves!?

No, not real hooves. Cloven feet. That's much better!

-

Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #366
tsa
Playing character

I didn't dare say that because I thought Jaz would be insulted...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #367
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

So Jazzy has cloven feet?

Figures.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #368

Quote:
I didn't dare say that because I thought Jaz would be insulted...

Ah, don't worry. I'm not easily insulted, even if I might pretend to be insulted at times (never for long, though).

Remember, I'm the girl who always tries to get along with people and treats even people she doesn't like, fairly. I generally get along with people. ^_^

-

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
So Jazzy has cloven feet?

Figures.

Yes, and an index toe longer than her big toe.

-

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #370
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Rather flimsy, aren't they?

Still, nice. Good purchase, if you like that sort of thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #371
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Yes, and an index toe longer than her big toe.
Well, that's how feet should look if you ask me. I find triangular feet with the big toe the longest slightly odd looking, but I suppose that is because my feet are of the rounded variety.

(Btw, it never even occurred to me that my comment could be taken as insulting, so I'm glad you didn't take it that way.)
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Well, that's how feet should look if you ask me. I find triangular feet with the big toe the longest slightly odd looking, but I suppose that is because my feet are of the rounded variety.

(Btw, it never even occurred to me that my comment could be taken as insulting, so I'm glad you didn't take it that way.)

I remember the last time I mentioned the fact that my index toe is longer than my big toe in a thread, it was followed by lots of other people saying things like "Wow, you've managed to make me pull of my shoe in the office, just to check what my toes look like.". Lots of people with only one shoe on. ^_^

Also, I remember my laughing at me when my toes for some reason came to be talked about, and her being incredibly amused about my toes...until I pointed out that *her* toes are the same, after which she was silent.

(By the way, my sister isn't so malicious. She just likes to tease me like the elder sister she is. And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Don't worry. I know you all don't have any malicious intentions towards me (or if you do, I am blissfully oblivious), so taking it as an intented insult is the last thing I'd do. And I didn't even realise it could be taken as an unintended one.

-

Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Rather flimsy, aren't they?

Still, nice. Good purchase, if you like that sort of thing.

Well, not that flimsy. Sure, they don't protect the toes from crushing that much (though I imagine these will do that a bit, due to the rubber wrapping around the toes), and the sole in some versions is rather thin. But that's intended, because that way they offer a much better grip and agility, as well as the ability to feel where you're walking.

Also, I've walked across cobbled stones in shoes that essentially had the same thin leather used for the shoes as soles (in case you wonder what shoes those were, I made them myself.). It wasn't pleasant. But it is not uncomfortable in Tabi, so in my eyes the have passed the test.

-

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #374
Super Moderator

Jaz, you need these kinds of socks to go with your shoes:

Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #375
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
... and the sole in some versions is rather thin. But that's intended, because that way they offer a much better grip and agility, as well as the ability to feel where you're walking.
Are you going to join the City Watch now? Sam Vimes also likes to feel the stones under his feet.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #376
tsa
Playing character

Today I splurged on a suit. I will be assistant promotor at my Ph.D. student's defense, and you need to wear a black suit with a white shirt and grey tie for that. I bought that today at my personal clothing store, where I buy almost all my clothes. I couldn't find my suit on the internet, but this is something similar:

I almost forgot: I also bought two nice red satin bedsheets. A bit expensive, but they look nice.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #377
Lazy Bee

Very nice!
Will you be wearing it on Sunday?

j/k

I've only seen weather reports up until Saturday and it says rain I'm afraid.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #378
Lovable rogue

Quote:
you need to wear a black suit with a white shirt and grey tie for that.
That's oddly specific, any particular reason for the colour scheme requirement?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #379
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I'm not a splurge person as a rule. (even most of my gaming pleasure comes via happy finds in charity shops)
However, about a month ago I saw someone wearing a frock coat like this and decided that I wanted one.

Imported from Germany, Took a while but well worth the wait. Courtesy of this fine little establishment.
That looks FABULOUS!

Of course now you've got to get a tricorne hat to wear with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
You just need to iron it to remove the creases.
I was thinking the same thing, but any material that shiny probably wouldn't take well to ironing.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #380
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Today I splurged on a suit. I will be assistant promotor at my Ph.D. student's defense, and you need to wear a black suit with a white shirt and grey tie for that. I bought that today at my personal clothing store, where I buy almost all my clothes. I couldn't find my suit on the internet, but this is something similar:
Your own personal clothing store eh? I just use places on the high street. It's a good look though. I guess the specific requirement is an academic rule of some sort.
Quote:
I almost forgot: I also bought two nice red satin bedsheets. A bit expensive, but they look nice.
I think you'll look a bit odd wearing those to your studen'ts defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
That looks FABULOUS!

Of course now you've got to get a tricorne hat to wear with it.
Tricorne hat. Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I am wondering if my dress shirt is frilly enough for it and I need some skinny fit trousers (you can't see in the picture but it doesn't look quite right with loose-fitting trousers) but you may have something there.
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but any material that shiny probably wouldn't take well to ironing.
I might be going back to the same shop for the skinny fit trousers so I'll ask the male proprietor (It's run by a man and a woman but he is the one that has a coat just like it) what the best approach is. I believe a low heat iron with something else (say, a pillow case) in-between is appropriate.

I'm surprised no-one has commented how much the opposite of my normal wardrobe it is. The shop is a goth clothing shop. Fabulous outfits (and lovely people running it as well.) but a very limited range of colours.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree