You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 04:39 AM   #1401
Lovable rogue

I have gone blonde for summer. *gasp*

After having sun for the past week, I took this as a signal that summer had finally arrived, and I decided I needed a new look for the occasion.

I've never been blonde before, and after dying my hair black for the past few years, it makes for a dramatic change. Isn't it exciting?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 AM   #1402
Lazy Bee

Well, why don't you post a before-picture and an after-picture and I'll be able to tell.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #1403
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I have gone blonde for summer. *gasp*

After having sun for the past week, I took this as a signal that summer had finally arrived, and I decided I needed a new look for the occasion.

I've never been blonde before, and after dying my hair black for the past few years, it makes for a dramatic change. Isn't it exciting?
WOW.....holy crap the things that I have missed. Yes I agree with Jelena....post a before and after pic

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #1404
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Dear blog,
I'm off to Maine. I'll be away until (at the earliest) the 19th. I'm sure all the people who post in you will be quite happy to see me go.

So, that's all for now, as it were. Oh, yeah, one more thing - if someone kills the Thread while I'm gone, I may become seriously annoyed. To avoid that possible occurance, I would recommend that everyone stop posting in it until I return.

Love,
Giligan
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #1405
The Major Grubert.

Dear blog,

Hungry people stare at your food.

That is all,
Speck
Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #1406
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Dear blog,
I'm off to Maine. I'll be away until (at the earliest) the 19th. I'm sure all the people who post in you will be quite happy to see me go.

So, that's all for now, as it were. Oh, yeah, one more thing - if someone kills the Thread while I'm gone, I may become seriously annoyed. To avoid that possible occurance, I would recommend that everyone stop posting in it until I return.

Love,
Giligan
Hurry back Gil

Dear Blog,

Just a quick update for everyone who wants too know, I'm 9 weeks along now and I have a cute little baby belly. I'm thinking of posting some pics to show my belly but I might wait until I get a little bigger. All is fine with the baby at this time, like I said I'm only 9 weeks at this point. I have to go get a prenatal blood panel next week and that makes me weak in the knees I hate needles. But other then that all is good.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #1407
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Ha! You wish. I'm pretty sure that, if Rob's absence for a few days didn't killl it I'm sure it can survive a few weeks without you.

Take care Gil. See you soon.

Back to the blog. I put a new batch of home-made beer on today. Attempt number one having highlighted a few issues for me (mixed reviews of the final product) I'm hoping to iron out the bugs with attempt two.

This time round I'm using Caxton's Real Ale (bottom of page) as the base mixture. You'll notice it comes with a Hop Enhancement Sachet. Mine was originally missing. I got it replaced by the shop (they are very good there) but that lead to me checking the charity shops over there. Subject to the discs proving to be workable (and tests of operation under XP) you might want to keep an eye out for a new Game Giveaway in the near future.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #1408
The Major Grubert.

Dear blog,

Picture your house. Cover all of the windows in paper. Close your doors in summer, 80 degrees inside. It's warm, it's dark, and you're sweating.

That's been my reality for a week now, thanks to the lowest-bidders my landlord hired to paint my house. My house plants are complaining.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #1409
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

It's been quite a while since I wrote to you at length; the fact that the entries inside of you seem to have gotten shorter and more mundane seems to have contributed to such a fact. But then, it's my fault too; I've been lazy, and I don't think anyone really cares what I write in here. (And those who would, well, they usually chat with me outside these forums, anyway.)

So, I read the first post I made in this thread, almost a year ago, and this part in particular struck me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I think I've forgotten how to have close friends.
It made me feel sad. I remember all too well how that felt, and it was painfully alienating. I mean, sure, during the day, I got to work at this company I loved and really believed in, but then I'd go home and I'd have no one to talk to about it afterwards. But then, so soon after, I did make the close friends I sought; one appeared seemingly out of nowhere and became one of the very rare people I almost instantly just clicked with perfectly, and others just crept up gradually -- not nearly as strong as the one, but still valuable in and of themselves.

Today, it's the opposite: I have the friends, but I miss the job. It sucks, but it's actually not nearly as bad, to be honest. I just have to remember that.

Okay, enough sap. Bye now.

Exes and ohs,
Squaaaaanky
Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #1410
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Dear bloggie

It's really hot outside and inside now.

Today it was 26 degrees Celsius outside, and at work it was over 35 degrees. That was just insane.

Tomorrow 27 degrees and clear blue sky. Wednesday is going to be the most sunny day, going to 30 degrees.

I just decided that I'm going to the beach tomorrow for the first time in over 10 years. It might be the last chance I get this year, because I can feel it that autumn is coming.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #1411
Lazy Bee

Some of you know that I've been home depressed and burned out and am now working on a recovery. So far I'm back 50%, but just thinking about working more in such a complex workplace as I have is hard to imagine at the moment. I often think I'm done with teaching for different reasons, but I'm not sure...it's a great job, but it's very demanding being a good teacher. I don't know if I have the strength anymore.

Today I've just been in contact with the Passengers Service Manager at the airport nearby. I've been inquiring about jobs available in the future and it looks like there are good chances. Now, getting a job at the airport would mean:
less money, less days of holiday and more monotonus tasks.
But I will also not have:
nights with no sleep due to me worrying about student's results or home situation, students in fights where I have to go in between and take some blows myself before it's over, the feeling of not being able to stop thinking about work when I go home.

It's definitely a step down the career-ladder. *shrugs* But it might mean that I work when I work and I'm off duty when I'm off duty. Being a teacher means to me (and a lot of other teachers as well) that back in my mind I'm almost always on duty. And that's not compatible with having a family.

OK, these are my thoughts right now. Please feel free to comment.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #1412
Lovable rogue

The thought of you not being a teacher anymore saddens me somewhat. It just seems to me like teaching is your raison d'être, and you'd miss it were you to give it up.

Obviously your health comes first, and if you're unable to leave your work behind when you go home, that's not good. Perhaps you should talk to someone who could help you learn how to switch off, and forget about work when you're not there? That issue might not simply resolve itself by switching careers, if you are so prone to worry.

Have you considered teaching an older group of children, that are calmer and less of a handful for you to deal with?

Anyway, as a lady of sound judgment, I'm sure you will ultimately make the choice which is right for you, whatever you decide.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #1413
Lazy Bee

Jat
Thanks for your comment, you're of course spot on according to Mr J. As for now, I'm still doing the next semester as a teacher and that'll give me half a year to find out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. It a nice thought to know that I have options although I'm middleaged. I guess time will tell.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #1414
The Major Grubert.

Boy, performance review times at work blow!

I mean, they've always sucked, but now HR has stooped to new lows.

You know, they have lesser degrees than the professional engineers and program managers, and it shows. We should not have to put up with this hoop jumping on TOP of the core hard work and innovations that are responsible for keeping our company at the levels that justify their existence!

Year after year, they're pressed by mandates to improve performance reviews. And so each year, they justify their existence by devising yet another senseless system.

It sucks, hard.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #1415
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Boy, performance review times at work blow!

I mean, they've always sucked, but now HR has stooped to new lows.

You know, they have lesser degrees than the professional engineers and program managers, and it shows. We should not have to put up with this hoop jumping on TOP of the core hard work and innovations that are responsible for keeping our company at the levels that justify their existence!

Year after year, they're pressed by mandates to improve performance reviews. And so each year, they justify their existence by devising yet another senseless system.

It sucks, hard.

I second that.....my husband has a problem with the HR people when his reviews come up too. They don't appreciate hard workers.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #1416
The Major Grubert.

Dear blog,

Status reports blow. Why, might you ask?

Friday: status reports to boss each week
Weekly Monday meeting with all teams: "So, what are you working on?"
Weekly Tuesday meeting with my specific team: "So, what are you working on?"
My Wednesday 1 on 1 meeting with boss: "I want you to send a weekly status of what your team's doing to the entire division".

Dear Division,

STATUS
Friday: Gave boss status
Monday: Gave group status
Tuesday: Gave team status
Wednesday: Gave division status
Thursday: Worked

Oy
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #1417
Freeware Co-ordinator

You missed out Saturday and Sunday.

You also appear to be working in a Dilbert cartoon.

Cold Topic

Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #1418
Lovable rogue

Hey, that's what I said!

If you're thinking like me, you may be harbouring a great mind.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #1419
Psychonaut

He's hiding it well.

Seriously though. I have to do performance reviews on my staff every year. My least favourite job and a huge waste of time.

A decent manager makes clear to his staff all year if they are doing a good job. If your doing a shit job then you probably won't be working there come performance review time.

It all gets pretty political because pay awards are based on the review.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #1420
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Hey, that's what I said!

If you're thinking like me, you may be harbouring a great mind.
I said working, not living.

Is that enough to save me from harbouring your mind?

Cold Topic