The AG Community Blog - Page 61 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #1201
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
For the past week the temperature has reached 30 celsius and gone over it in Finland. If the weather keeps being too warm like it's now, everything is going to go to hell.
What vastly different worlds we live in.
In the summer here it's not unusual for our nighttime low temperature to be 25 celsius.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #1202
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Now I really do believe 100% in the climate change and the ozone layer disappearing.

For the past week the temperature has reached 30 celsius and gone over it in Finland. For the record, I have never had to use sun lotion in my life, but today I just had to use it for the first time ever.

Yesterday and today, my skin on my arms got burned. It's all bright red and it aches a lot, especially when I went to the shower and warm water got in touch with my arms.

If the weather keeps being too warm like it's now, everything is going to go to hell. At the moment I fear skin cancer (melanoma etc.) very, very much...
We've had the same thing. 30 celcius or more, and really hot sun. And living in Oslo, everything gets even warmer, since the sun warms the street, and the street gives out heat too. And no wind. I'm constantly sweating and feeling jucky, and even feel like I don't breath in enough air. I don't know how you handle it in warmer countries.. I'm just not "made" for warm weather. Fortunatly it's going back to normal after today. Meteorologists predict 25 c tomorrow, and stabilizing on 20 c the next days..

Any ideas how I can make the heat less unbearable? (We don't have air condition, not many in Norway do, we usually don't need one. We are keeping the door open for air, but that's not very effective..)

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #1203
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I'm constantly sweating and feeling jucky
Precisely one of the reasons why I can't stand Summer (well, a lot of it) all that much myself. Clothes and body all wet, smelly, icky, yuck, yuck! Ok, sure, as long as you're allowed to just lie naked in the sun and enjoy the warmth that's cool. But modern life isn't like this, unfortunately. If your room is located underneath the roof the nightmare continues at night.

It's also the reason why I don't understand each and everybody's obsession from here to go on holidays in the South, except the attraction provided by pretty beachlines. I mean, normally there's weeks on end with really warm weather like that here too, four years ago when I was working during my semester holidays the temperature constantly reached up to 35 degrees (and more than that occasionally) for weeks. Meteorologists said it was the hottest Summer in 500 years and I swear, I wanted to take my bed down to the cellar. I just hate Summer heat interfering constantly when you don't need it at all.

I'd mostly prefer holidays in Scandinavia any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
In the summer here it's not unusual for our nighttime low temperature to be 25 celsius.
And you still live to tell? HELL! I guess you just adopt to the climate. Human nature and all.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-11-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #1204
Lazy Bee

In Sweden (right in between Panthera's and Kolzig's countries) we've had nice and hot weather as well. See, I love it!
I have the advantage of being on holiday almost the entire summer which means I can enjoy the warm and occasional hot weather without having to endure workhours in the heat.
Mind you, I would not make it in areas with crazy heat like in Bulldog's and Sage's South. I've never experienced really hot weather (imo 35-38 C/95-100 F )for more than a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
I'd mostly prefer holidays in Scandinavia any day.
I was actually thinking about you today as Mr J and I went for a walk near the sea. I told Mr J about this German guy who probably would go nuts from seeing the views we just passed.
And Sam, I would probably go nuts from seeing the views around your home. South Germany looks incredibly beautiful!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #1205
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Today I learnt that I'm not a coward.

Three teens were occupying four seats in a completely stuffed train on my way to work - someone tried to sit down. I really just caught the tail end of what happened - there was a huge debate. I noticed it was about the seat, rolled my eyes, pushed across, and gave them a good telling off for their braindead behaviour. "Do you realise this train is crammed chock full? You're blocking the seat."

Morons got off the next stop after trying unsuccessfully to "defend" themselves verbally. Not enough grey matter there to do much discussion, of course, so the conversation quickly ended with things merely responded to in the sarky "Thanks, you too." fashion.

Anyway, I only noticed then that they'd not simply been rude. They'd smacked the person who'd tried to get a seat.

I would whine about the deteriation of culture, but it's nonsense, of course. I shared my story at work - none of my co-workers had ever even seen something like that happen, even from a distance, even the one that hops on trains at least as often as I do (and, in fact, lives in the same town, and thus takes the same route to work, though we rarely catch each other in the mornings).

This's helped me bunches. It's proven what I rationally think - that people like that don't have any balls to get physical once they (as a pack) have more than one other person to deal with - and I'm certain it'll make it far easier for me to intervene in future.

I'm happy about that.

(The struck person was fine, all things considered - just a slight redish bruise. He was in fairly good spirits and we spoke until I got off.)
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #1206
The Major Grubert.

Good for you Pinksie. I carefully judge who it is I can carefully smack-down and do so. Obviously, it's not safe to face the bigger neanderthals unless you have to, but most bullies will back down when you counter them.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #1207
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I was actually thinking about you today as Mr J and I went for a walk near the sea.

AWW!

Quote:
I told Mr J about this German guy who probably would go nuts from seeing the views we just passed.
And Sam, I would probably go nuts from seeing the views around your home. South Germany looks incredibly beautiful!
We could swap places for a week or so. I take your room, you get mine. Not sure if your family would approve of that though.

Quote:
Mind you, I would not make it in areas with crazy heat like in Bulldog's and Sage's South.
I've never experienced really cold temperature (there's not many ice and snow around here anymore in Winter), but what can I say? There's just nothing worse than heat. You can't escape it, it can make you tired within just a couple of minutes, make you feel like you have to choke on it, cause it's really everywhere. Additionally it can hit you like this pan and no central heating or comfy blanket will save you from any of it. What I truly mean to say is: Bulldog, Sage? You are my heroes.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-12-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #1208
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
AWW! I've never experienced really cold temperature (there's not many ice and snow around here anymore in Winter), but what can I say? There's just nothing worse than heat. You can't escape it, it can make you tired within just a couple of minutes, make you feel like you have to choke on it, cause it's really everywhere. Additionally it can hit you like this pan and no central heating or comfy blanket will save you from any of it. What I truly mean to say is: Bulldog, Sage? You are my heroes.
Seconded. I utterly loath heat.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #1209
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
Today I learnt that I'm not a coward.

Three teens were occupying four seats in a completely stuffed train on my way to work - someone tried to sit down. I really just caught the tail end of what happened - there was a huge debate. I noticed it was about the seat, rolled my eyes, pushed across, and gave them a good telling off for their braindead behaviour. "Do you realise this train is crammed chock full? You're blocking the seat."

Morons got off the next stop after trying unsuccessfully to "defend" themselves verbally. Not enough grey matter there to do much discussion, of course, so the conversation quickly ended with things merely responded to in the sarky "Thanks, you too." fashion.

Anyway, I only noticed then that they'd not simply been rude. They'd smacked the person who'd tried to get a seat.

I would whine about the deteriation of culture, but it's nonsense, of course. I shared my story at work - none of my co-workers had ever even seen something like that happen, even from a distance, even the one that hops on trains at least as often as I do (and, in fact, lives in the same town, and thus takes the same route to work, though we rarely catch each other in the mornings).

This's helped me bunches. It's proven what I rationally think - that people like that don't have any balls to get physical once they (as a pack) have more than one other person to deal with - and I'm certain it'll make it far easier for me to intervene in future.

I'm happy about that.

(The struck person was fine, all things considered - just a slight redish bruise. He was in fairly good spirits and we spoke until I got off.)
And you wonder why we carry weapons in America.*snicker*

Well folks, it's time for me to leave your wonderful company for at least a few weeks. Me and the beautiful Mrs.R are heading back home to Texas so we have a lot of packing to finish up this week. All you kids behave and take care of yourselves.

And remember folks, go through the green door and ask the man with hair that looks like a mustache about the pidgins.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #1210
Lazy Bee

Good Luck on the Moving the Family back to Texas.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #1211
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
What I truly mean to say is: Bulldog, Sage? You are my heroes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
Seconded. I utterly loath heat.
Sage and I rock . I don’t know how he feels about the heat but I can’t stand the heat….. Today it is (80.1 F OR 26.7 C) and overcast with 63% humidity. The air is very still, there is no breeze blowing at all.

Oh yeah hurry back rlpw…….we will miss you

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #1212
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Sage and I rock . I don’t know how he feels about the heat but I can’t stand the heat….. Today it is (80.1 F OR 26.7 C) and overcast with 63% humidity. The air is very still, there is no breeze blowing at all.

Not as bad as in Norway and Finnland at least today, aparentally. What I'm wondering though: These shifts in climate zones, they can surely result in a change of fauna and flora as well?

Dear diary,
I SHUDDER to think of the day I wake up next to a tarantula which crawled through the window at night.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #1213
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear sam,
Then make sure you don't ask me to come up to your place the night before.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #1214
Lovable rogue

Damn woman, I told you not to stop shaving your legs!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #1215
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Dear diary,

Where did today go? And why am I still writing this really short essay six hours after I originally planned to finish it?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #1216
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear Forum,

Why am I being referred to as "diary" now?

Yours in bafflement,
The AG Community Blog
Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #1217
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Then make sure you don't ask me to come up to your place the night before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Damn woman, I told you not to stop shaving your legs!

Hello all (and sorry dear AGCB, but really, you have been a diary in disguise all along),
I think I'm off to bed now?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #1218
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Dear diary,
I SHUDDER to think of the day I wake up next to a tarantula which crawled through the window at night.
*shutters*

I hate spiders of any kind..... kill all the spiders

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 AM   #1219
kamikaze hummingbirds

To Temperature,
Please decrease thineself, the constant heat over hither is making my adolescent mind go insanely filthy.
Please stopeth.

Lots of love,
Hammerite.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #1220
Lazy Bee

Entering our local pharmacy is a sure way for me to get my adrenaline pumping and anger rising.
I don't think I've ever been in there without having to wait in line at least 30 minutes. And because of my daughter's medicines I go there regularely. Today was of course no exception. I had put in money for 40 minutes in the parking meter, but was still a couple of minutes late back to the car. No parking ticket thank god!

Sorry for the ranting, I just had to let it out of my system.