You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #61
Creepy Father Figure

Damn us breeders! We're so hot (snicker)
Old 09-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #62
merely human

Tell me about it. I lost count of many gorgeous dads with their little kids come visit the museum and the only thing I can do is tell them where exhibits are. Damn you hot breeder men.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #63
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

Maybe it's all the office coffee I've been drinking, but I seem to have a very short attention span at work these days. I hope the Telltale staff doesn't get too annoyed when I periodically get up and start wandering around the office while playing with Devil Sticks.

Anyway, time to go back to tightening up the graphics for the next Sam & Max episode!

xoxo,
Squinky
Old 09-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #64
Creepy Father Figure

Ummm, what was that?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #65
Lazy Bee

Much more light hearted today. And shallow: spent a fortune fixing my hair. God that felt good!
And then Christer and I went to our favourite furniture dealer and ordered a huge sofa for the basement. (Thank you very much insurance company!) We won't get it until Christermas though, but I like having something to look forward to.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #66
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Dear AG Community Blog/community of readers,

And so it begins. As of tomorrow I'm back in the surreal world of Oxford University, preparing to embark upon another year of learning history. Or perhaps that should be pretending to learn history, as I seem to spend more of my time doing extra-curricular music .

Anyway, it's at this time each term that I suddenly feel a whole load of anxiety. I like things to be regular and predictable around me - I'm a terrible sucker for continuity - and so I always hate moving away from home for any extended period. I'm paranoid that I'll get there and then realise that I forgot to pack things that I'd like to have, and so on. And then there's the work; I've done precious little genuine reading this vacation - curse my post-exam laziness - so I'm going to have to suddenly increase my workload substantially.

All this combined with the wonders of Freshers' Week. Come Sunday all the newbies will be descending upon college, and I'm going to have to suddenly morph into a friendly, cheerful, positive individual in my capacity as president of my college's music society (the UCMS; come to our end of term concert!™). I'm also beginning to worry myself about my potential inadequacies as a conductor (I'm in charge of the Largest Non-Auditioning Choir in Oxford™ now), so I probably just need to stop thinking about that. Yay for jumping in at the deep end.

That aside, it will be nice to meet up with friends acquaintances again. After a year at university I've realised that pretty much nothing happens in my home town, which is fine when trying to relax, but not much use when you actually want to do stuff.

So, yeah. I'm off to go and feel anxious somewhere. And to wonder if I've finished packing yet again. Hopefully I'll have internet access as soon as I arrive though, so you won't even notice that I've moved. Sorry that you won't be getting time off from me.

Love you all,

R. "Should have added the Westgarth-" Lacey

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #67
Creepy Father Figure

Dear bloggers,

Whoever took over building cars after 1980 is a sadist and I would hunt them down and flog them except for the fact that they would enjoy to much. You have to either have $20000 in tooling designed specifically to remove a bolt that should take 2 seconds or be a contortionist to reach it!

I swear I help work on multi-million dollar machining devices with not a care in the world but turn into an angry idiot throwing tools to work on a simple old Ford Explorer that I use as my work car.AARRRGGHH

thank you for your time
Old 09-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #68
Lovable rogue

So, I went out for coffee with my new acquaintance today (well, I the consummate Brit had tea) and it was okay. It slowly morphed into more than just coffee and I gradually began to feel more uncomfortable.
This was the first time I was speaking to him just one on one, and without the benefit of alcohol, so I was already a little nervous at the outset.
The conversation went quite nicely, but then he started saying things which gave me the impression he "liked" me, which made me feel a little uncomfortable. Now I'm probably being a little presumptuous in saying that, and I'm anything but an expert in reading signals, but still that's how I felt. He gave me compliments, that through the fact they were patently untrue, were quite transparent. Then he started suggesting we do things together, like go for dinner, and I could feel my anxiety levels steadily rising.
So I agreed to go to a movie with him, in my mind at least there wouldn't be any talking for a couple of hours. He insisted on buying my ticket. We saw the new Adam Sandler film, which was fairly poor, I've never been an Adam Sandler fan anyway, but performances from Henry Winkler and Christopher Walken went some way towards saving it.
So after the film he suggested getting something to eat, and I was starving, and Pizza Hut was right there, so I agreed. The damn "please wait to be seated" woman stuck us at the smallest two person table there. We had to sit opposite each other, which really isn't the best arrangement in that circumstance, either I had to stare right at him, or quite obviously turn to avoid his gaze. Dinner just raised my level of discomfort, and I couldn't wait for it to end.

He's a really nice guy, and I wouldn't mind being friends with him, but through his actions (albeit well-meaning) I just feel uncomfortable around him, which can only have negative consequences. I need to feel at ease with the people I'm around.

I could be misreading him, but I think we're on different wavelengths, and of course the situation raises the whole "When Harry Met Sally" question.

Anyway, congratulations if you read through all that, I wonder how interesting it was to anyone who isn't me, but now you get rewarded with the most interesting part of the night...

I was harassed by a tramp! That's right, a bum, a hobo, a vagrant, some filthy gutter rat!

We were walking along, when this jittery, dishevelled "man" clutching a carrier bag blocked our path on the pavement. I adjusted my route to go around it, then it approached us started rambling incoherently and asking for money. I'm sure it was whacked out on crack or something, I refused eye contact, ignored it, and kept walking, now at a brisk pace. At this point it gave chase and began getting abusive in its tone, demanding that I give it an answer! Just imagine it! I was most perturbed and had no intention of acknowledging this contemptible creature! It would not leave us alone, and I did begin to fear for my safety, I was thankfully in a well lit area, but these junkies are unpredictable. I could have been mugged, or stabbed! I finally managed to escape it by stepping out into traffic, but before I did it had the nerve to accuse me of lacking etiquette! Me, can you believe it! So after that, I'll admit, I was left feeling a little shaken up, not to mention infuriated. Where were the damn police? In the good old days these people would be locked up, or shot. It's time these damn scum were cleared of the streets so good law abiding citizens such as myself can traverse the public highways without being molested or fearing for ones well-being!

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add to my last entry, I don't understand people who order generic drinks. Of the people I was with last night, I heard orders coming from them like "vodka & Coke." I mean, who does that!? If you order like that you're just going to get the crap from the well. You request "Absolut & Coke" or "Smirnoff & Coke" or "Stoli & Coke" or "Grey Goose & Coke" (although that last one would be a waste of good vodka.) Strange people... *shakes head*

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #69
Creepy Father Figure

Dear Jat,

Those people are why most Rednecks are armed. I'll have a Kessler's and Sundrop.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #70
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

I find the whole When Harry Met Sally mentality kind of silly myself. However, I do enjoy it when people fake elaborate, over-the-top orgasms in cafés.

Sincerely yours,
Squinky
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #71
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Dear Jat,

Those people are why most Rednecks are armed. I'll have a Kessler's and Sundrop.
Those people are also why some of us have cultivated a distinctly biker-ish appearance. I've found that looking rather rough tends to make undesirable elements like yuppies and the homeless give me a wide berth. Plus, should I choose to engage someone in conversation, it's always funny to see the shocked look on people's faces when they realize I speak in something other than a gutteral growl and actually have fairly decent conversational skills.

By the way, I'll have a Mount Gay and coke if you're offering.

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #72
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Dear AG Community Blog/community of readers,

And so it begins. As of tomorrow I'm back in the surreal world of Oxford University, preparing to embark upon another year of learning history. Or perhaps that should be pretending to learn history, as I seem to spend more of my time doing extra-curricular music .

Anyway, it's at this time each term that I suddenly feel a whole load of anxiety. I like things to be regular and predictable around me - I'm a terrible sucker for continuity - and so I always hate moving away from home for any extended period. I'm paranoid that I'll get there and then realise that I forgot to pack things that I'd like to have, and so on. And then there's the work; I've done precious little genuine reading this vacation - curse my post-exam laziness - so I'm going to have to suddenly increase my workload substantially.

All this combined with the wonders of Freshers' Week. Come Sunday all the newbies will be descending upon college, and I'm going to have to suddenly morph into a friendly, cheerful, positive individual in my capacity as president of my college's music society (the UCMS; come to our end of term concert!â„¢). I'm also beginning to worry myself about my potential inadequacies as a conductor (I'm in charge of the Largest Non-Auditioning Choir in Oxfordâ„¢ now), so I probably just need to stop thinking about that. Yay for jumping in at the deep end.

That aside, it will be nice to meet up with friends acquaintances again. After a year at university I've realised that pretty much nothing happens in my home town, which is fine when trying to relax, but not much use when you actually want to do stuff.

So, yeah. I'm off to go and feel anxious somewhere. And to wonder if I've finished packing yet again. Hopefully I'll have internet access as soon as I arrive though, so you won't even notice that I've moved. Sorry that you won't be getting time off from me.

Love you all,

R. "Should have added the Westgarth-" Lacey
you study history?
thats odd, because my dad owns a book about the first millenium AD written by Robert Lacey, who appears to have written many other books on history.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #73
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Ah, mistaken identity - so THAT'S how Lacey got into Oxford.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:13 AM   #74
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yes, that man stole my identity (and my website).

But it's okay... he writes populist history, so I can look down on him .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #75
It's Hard To Be Humble

Dear Aggie

I need some advice. It's high drama time here in Limbo, or at least it's threatening to do that. My guitar player got married a little over a year ago (a couple months before me), but where I married a responsible, conscientious, self-sacrificing woman of character and distinction, he made the mistake of marrying a woman with an extremely dodgy personality, who has basically been lying to him from day one.

They recently took an old friend as a roommate. This roommate has been taking her out to all kinds of places without Gary. This guy also recently agreed to help a friend of ours start his new business, by co-signing for the 8K loan. Not a serious problem for this guy (union boilermaker). But when our buddy came back from the bathroom, this guy had completely changed his tune. No deal, no dice, bad business plan (even though several professionals had already agreed that it looked great). The suspect; my guitar player's wife, who had tagged along for this little meeting. Two words: bull shit.

There have been other rumours, which I won't utter to be fair to my guitar player. However, we're all starting to think it's time to move our gear out of his basement, while he still has some claim to said basement. We're detecting warning signs, and we're not sure if we're overreacting, but it does look really bad from this distance, and he hasn't said a word to me about any of it.

Anyway, guitar player and I have ameeting in a few minutes, where I explain to him why we're going to be moving the gear out of the basement until we can find a new place to rehearse and jam. From now on until then, it's songwritign sessions here in Limbo for the three of us, and Derrick will either have to get practice pads, or help me find jam space until Gary gets a new job. And preferably, a new place to live. Without the harpy he married.

Thanks for listening, Aggie.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #76
Lazy Bee

An adventure gamer is born. (hopefully)
We just had a couple of friends with kids over for dinner. They happend to see my game collection (all 27 games) and were curious about the genre. My friend (the wife) immediately said that that's exactly what she needed and ended up bringing Syberia and one of my CSI games home.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #77
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
So, I went out for coffee with my new acquaintance today (well, I the consummate Brit had tea) and it was okay. It slowly morphed into more than just coffee and I gradually began to feel more uncomfortable.
This was the first time I was speaking to him just one on one, and without the benefit of alcohol, so I was already a little nervous at the outset.
The conversation went quite nicely, but then he started saying things which gave me the impression he "liked" me, which made me feel a little uncomfortable. Now I'm probably being a little presumptuous in saying that, and I'm anything but an expert in reading signals, but still that's how I felt. He gave me compliments, that through the fact they were patently untrue, were quite transparent. Then he started suggesting we do things together, like go for dinner, and I could feel my anxiety levels steadily rising.
So I agreed to go to a movie with him, in my mind at least there wouldn't be any talking for a couple of hours. He insisted on buying my ticket. We saw the new Adam Sandler film, which was fairly poor, I've never been an Adam Sandler fan anyway, but performances from Henry Winkler and Christopher Walken went some way towards saving it.
So after the film he suggested getting something to eat, and I was starving, and Pizza Hut was right there, so I agreed. The damn "please wait to be seated" woman stuck us at the smallest two person table there. We had to sit opposite each other, which really isn't the best arrangement in that circumstance, either I had to stare right at him, or quite obviously turn to avoid his gaze. Dinner just raised my level of discomfort, and I couldn't wait for it to end.

He's a really nice guy, and I wouldn't mind being friends with him, but through his actions (albeit well-meaning) I just feel uncomfortable around him, which can only have negative consequences. I need to feel at ease with the people I'm around.

I could be misreading him, but I think we're on different wavelengths, and of course the situation raises the whole "When Harry Met Sally" question.

Anyway, congratulations if you read through all that, I wonder how interesting it was to anyone who isn't me, but now you get rewarded with the most interesting part of the night...

I was harassed by a tramp! That's right, a bum, a hobo, a vagrant, some filthy gutter rat!

We were walking along, when this jittery, dishevelled "man" clutching a carrier bag blocked our path on the pavement. I adjusted my route to go around it, then it approached us started rambling incoherently and asking for money. I'm sure it was whacked out on crack or something, I refused eye contact, ignored it, and kept walking, now at a brisk pace. At this point it gave chase and began getting abusive in its tone, demanding that I give it an answer! Just imagine it! I was most perturbed and had no intention of acknowledging this contemptible creature! It would not leave us alone, and I did begin to fear for my safety, I was thankfully in a well lit area, but these junkies are unpredictable. I could have been mugged, or stabbed! I finally managed to escape it by stepping out into traffic, but before I did it had the nerve to accuse me of lacking etiquette! Me, can you believe it! So after that, I'll admit, I was left feeling a little shaken up, not to mention infuriated. Where were the damn police? In the good old days these people would be locked up, or shot. It's time these damn scum were cleared of the streets so good law abiding citizens such as myself can traverse the public highways without being molested or fearing for ones well-being!

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add to my last entry, I don't understand people who order generic drinks. Of the people I was with last night, I heard orders coming from them like "vodka & Coke." I mean, who does that!? If you order like that you're just going to get the crap from the well. You request "Absolut & Coke" or "Smirnoff & Coke" or "Stoli & Coke" or "Grey Goose & Coke" (although that last one would be a waste of good vodka.) Strange people... *shakes head*
Aww, you poor thing, sorry to hear you had such a bad time. So whats the latest news on this new guy? He madly in love, yet?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #78
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Dear Aggie

I need some advice. It's high drama time here in Limbo, or at least it's threatening to do that. My guitar player got married a little over a year ago (a couple months before me), but where I married a responsible, conscientious, self-sacrificing woman of character and distinction, he made the mistake of marrying a woman with an extremely dodgy personality, who has basically been lying to him from day one.

They recently took an old friend as a roommate. This roommate has been taking her out to all kinds of places without Gary. This guy also recently agreed to help a friend of ours start his new business, by co-signing for the 8K loan. Not a serious problem for this guy (union boilermaker). But when our buddy came back from the bathroom, this guy had completely changed his tune. No deal, no dice, bad business plan (even though several professionals had already agreed that it looked great). The suspect; my guitar player's wife, who had tagged along for this little meeting. Two words: bull shit.

There have been other rumours, which I won't utter to be fair to my guitar player. However, we're all starting to think it's time to move our gear out of his basement, while he still has some claim to said basement. We're detecting warning signs, and we're not sure if we're overreacting, but it does look really bad from this distance, and he hasn't said a word to me about any of it.

Anyway, guitar player and I have ameeting in a few minutes, where I explain to him why we're going to be moving the gear out of the basement until we can find a new place to rehearse and jam. From now on until then, it's songwritign sessions here in Limbo for the three of us, and Derrick will either have to get practice pads, or help me find jam space until Gary gets a new job. And preferably, a new place to live. Without the harpy he married.

Thanks for listening, Aggie.
I tell you what Lee, the one thing I said I would never do is have a roomate after I was married, nothing but trouble one way or another. Either there trying to do/or are doing your woman or there listening to your sexual encounters through the wall (personal experiance).

As for the woman you can tell him what you think or just let him deal with it or let him suffer for it miserably in the long run. Trust me you lose either way
Old 10-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #79
Lovable rogue

I'm not sure quite why I keep writing these things, so this will be my last one for a while.

I went out again last night with the group from Tuesday, and we went to one of the same bars, and to a different club. It was fun and I got to meet some new people too.

A couple of the guys I knew were in drag, which was hilarious. Just imagine a pair of size 11 shiny red high heels!

There was lots of eye-candy about on the dance floor, the music wasn't as great as on Tuesday, but I still went and joined them for a closer look, hehe.

The guy I went out for coffee with on Friday was there too. To start with I was getting quite annoyed with him as I wanted to mingle and meet some other people, but he refused to leave me alone. I've come to the conclusion that I wasn't just imagining that he "likes" me, so I'm going to have to nip that in the bud, somehow. I'm pretty sure he was trying to get me drunk, and it worked, he kept buying me drinks and they were all doubles. There was a cordoned off area with huge seats and free champagne that we were allowed into, so when I was fairly far gone we went to have a little rest there - at his suggestion. He sat down next to me, put his arm around me, and under the pretence of finding out if I was ticklish started touching and stroking my forearm. At the time I was to drunk to really care about it, but right now I'm not particularly enjoying that memory, more the opposite in fact. Had he tried anything else however, he wouldn't have got anywhere, except maybe a slap, lol.

One guy I met was wearing these cool, yet bizarre garments on his arms, they stretched from his wrists to his elbows, and were like Eighties legwarmers, lol.

At one point I found myself sitting next to a full blown drag queen, and opposite from a guy wearing a dress that appeared to be made from condom wrappers. I just remember clearly thinking to myself "Oh my god, I'm in an episode of Queer As Folk..."

So all in all I had a good night and left when the place closed at 3am. After that was when things began to go downhill.

It rained, heavily. I was wearing only a skin tight t-shirt and got drenched.
I went to bed and got an awful pain in my right eye that kept me from sleeping. It felt like I had broken glass trapped in it. Today it is so badly bloodshot, my eye could have been replaced with a ruby. It's throbbing and weeping too.
An insect bit me on my bottom lip, now it's swollen up to Leslie Ash proportions.
Of course I have a bit of a hangover too, but at least there's pills for that.

So that's everything I can think to say on the matter. I'm going to lie down now. Until we meet again!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #80
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Aww, you poor thing, sorry to hear you had such a bad time. So whats the latest news on this new guy? He madly in love, yet?
Jatsie's gettin' some!!! LOL!

Jatsie, you're not getting a case of cold feet, are you? But I digress, he is simply not your type, that's all. If all you want is to be friends with him, say so. Just say so. Just tell him, "Let's be friends", and give him a look indicating that that's all you want. Because he will be reading every single tiny signal from you trying to gauge if you want anything more than that.

PM me if you have any more uncertainties, love.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien