The AG Community Blog - Page 159 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #3161
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Aaaargh! I am SO stupid! I left my bag with my expensive camera in the train this evening. Oh, I'm so mad at myself! Excuse me while I go and bang my new pan on my head.
Me

tsa
Oh, man.....what can I say....
Let's hope an honest person found it and left it at a station. Did you have your name of phone number in the bag so that the one finding it will be able to contact you?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #3162
Lazy Bee

Dear Blog
Just wanted to give you an update on what has happened after my explosion at work.
A couple of days ago the woman with an anger management problem I told you about a week ago came into the room where I was working and wanted to socialize.
After a while she started telling me how angry she had become with another woman in our staff earlier that day, and how close she was to go over to her and yell. (Keep in mind that when this woman gets angry she gets really nasty). But halfway there she managed to pull herself together and go back to the classroom to let off some steam. When she was cool enough she went over to discuss the matter that had made her angry.
Of course the discussion had made her upset again, she was about to burst out in her usual manners, but she managed to leave the room without hurting anyones feelings.
She actually has a good sense of humour and managed to tell these things in a very funny way, making fun of herself and her temper. When she was finished I was laughing out loud and could easily tell her in the same manner that she had been good girl.

I guess she wanted to show me she did take my confrontation to heart. Hopefully she'll be easier to work with in the future.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #3163
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Some people are just compatible with each other, and others just aren't. If you think a relationship with these people is something you'd value, then by all means go for it. But if you feel like you're not going anywhere with them, then stop. The more you push yourself to be friends with people you're incompatible with, the more frustrated and confused you'll get. So don't. Which is no reason to not start off on the right foot- it might take a little bit to figure out if there's any "friendship potential" there or not.

So, my answer is "You're looking in the wrong places." Don't be angry at yourself, and don't be angry at anyone else. People just are who they are, and despite what you may have seen on TV not everyone should be friends with everyone.
Agreed 100%!

Quote:
Actually, just today I was having a conversation with someone who's a really nice guy. He kept getting annoyed at me for asserting my opinions too strongly, so I switched topics, showed more stubborn curiosity than he apparently wanted me to show about that topic, and he called me a "jerk". Which threw me off guard, because I thought there was potential there for a pleasant conversation. But there really wasn't any common ground. The way I have conversations isn't often compatible with how other people have conversations. (I tend to find the usual chitchat extremely dull.)

Edit: Just so you know, I do have friends. There are rare people who I very much enjoy spending time with, where we can think on similar wavelengths. In my case that's people with very specific interests. People who feel very strongly toward anything are people I've got a common language with.
Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with Asperger Syndrome?

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #3164
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Edit: Tell me, Squinky, don't you work with people who make games? I'd assume they'd be more likely to share common ground with you. Or is all that done over the internet?
No, it's done in person. I actually quite like the guys I work with. (And yes, they're pretty much all guys. My favourite female friend at the company got laid off a few months ago. I'm still a bit upset about that. I hope we get to work together again someday.) The thing is, the guys I talk to most often don't always seem to love games for the same reasons I do. I'm all about telling a story and looking at the big picture (as you know), while the other programmers and designers are more interested in the little implementation details -- how the game engine works, how complex the combat system is, that sort of thing. Which is good, because you need both types of people on a project of this sort, but sometimes a little lonely, when I feel like the odd one out. Plus, I'm pretty new to the industry, so I tend to be more vocal than others about doing what I like rather than catering to what sells well -- and I fear people take me a bit less seriously because of that. I try to console myself by saying they hired me for a reason, but sometimes I also wonder whether they'll discover that there really is no place for me in this hit-driven industry and fire me as a result.

That, and a lot of the guys have lives outside of work. Spouses and kids and that sort of thing. It seems to me that when people have families of their own, they don't really seek out deep and meaningful friendships, since their emotional needs are pretty much already met. As such, even though we have things in common, there's still a certain superficiality to our interactions. Not saying I don't value being able to talk to people with common interests. Just that I'd also like to be able to talk to people about my feelings. Seems like at the moment, I can only really do that with certain internet friends.

On a side note, I've always liked that little interactive feature you have on your blog.

Last edited by Squinky; 02-12-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #3165
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with Asperger Syndrome?
I believe Mory has said that he does, in fact, have Asperger syndrome.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3166
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I believe Mory has said that he does, in fact, have Asperger syndrome.
Ah. The statements in his post that I highlighted in red are very common sentiments among people with Asperger's, so I was simply wondering.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #3167
Unreliable Narrator

I'm still trying to find out what I am, by the way. I'm pretty sure I'm not "normal".
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #3168
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I'm still trying to find out what I am, by the way. I'm pretty sure I'm not "normal".
Cool. I've always found "normal" to be a highly over-rated state of being, and certainly not something to which one should aspire.

In the entire history of the human race, "normal" people have contributed sheer numbers and nothing else, whereas abnormal folks (weird-os, kooks, oddballs, or just plain "different-thinkers"... you pick a term you like ) are the ones who looked at some aspect of the world around them and in it found room for improvement... frequently against the active and organized opposition of their "normal" peers.

So celebrate your uniqueness and flip off anyone who doesn't appreciate it.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #3169
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Ah. The statements in his post that I highlighted in red are very common sentiments among people with Asperger's, so I was simply wondering.
Yes. Good call.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #3170
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
In the entire history of the human race, "normal" people have contributed sheer numbers and nothing else, whereas abnormal folks (weird-os, kooks, oddballs, or just plain "different-thinkers"... you pick a term you like ) are the ones who looked at some aspect of the world around them and in it found room for improvement... frequently against the active and organized opposition of their "normal" peers.

So celebrate your uniqueness and flip off anyone who doesn't appreciate it.
Words I've lived by since I was a little kid. Too bad advertising agencies have started to overuse them in recent decades. "Buy our product and show the world how unique you are! Ra ra ra!" I mean, gee, now how am I going to get to do anything revolutionary?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #3171
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, the government tried to steal 1500 euros from me.

I had to write a paper for them and now everything is clear again.

I don't want to tell more, the Finnish government is indeed quite stupid and the laws even more unbelievable.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #3172
Stalker of Britain

Hey all!!! *waves* I felt out of the conversation.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #3173
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
tsa
Oh, man.....what can I say....
Let's hope an honest person found it and left it at a station. Did you have your name of phone number in the bag so that the one finding it will be able to contact you?
Unfortunately no. So I hope the honest person gives it to the police or brings it back to the station. But I'm afraid I won't see it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasie
Hey all!!! *waves* I felt out of the conversation.
Sorry Fantasie, I don't have an opinion about which game to chose. It often happens that people don't answer posts. Don't take it personally; mostly it's just because they have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #3174
Stalker of Britain

Oh no, it's alright. I wasn't asking for people to keep picking on that, I was jsut talking about the conversation in general. I've moved on from hat old post of mine. lol
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #3175
tsa
Playing character

Dear Blog-san,

Long ago I wrote here about the picture contest I entered. Tonight was the Big Night: the winners got their prize. And I was first!!!! Yeah!!!
The prize was a Canon 450D, which is not a bad camera at all, but since I already had a Nikon D90, which I left in the train last Wednesday. The competition was sponsored by MediaMarkt, of which two representatives were present. After everyone had gotten their prize, one of them approached me and asked me if I wanted something else than the camera. You bet! So now I will visit MediaMarkt next thirsday and we will work out how to proceed.

I feel very happy, not only because I get a new Nikon D90 for not too much money, but also because my picture was considered the best by a jury of experts. Having family and friends say they like your pictures is all well and good, but most of the time they don't dare to say negative things about them so you have to take their positive criticism with a grain of salt.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #3176
Second Degree Black Belt

*jumping up and down- so excited*

I'm so happy for you tsa.....yippy skippy *does a happy dance*

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #3177
Lazy Bee

Congrats tsa!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #3178
I think with my heart

I already mailed you, but I want everyone to know: I am so proud of you!

You do know, that I like your pictures, most of my desktop backgrounds are from you :-)

But I agree, that having an expert telling you, that you're good is something else than family, as nice as their compliments are. I felt like that as a teenager, when I entered and won short-story contests. My family always liked my writing but then they were my family... with this background I am truly happy, that you got "professional" praise to show what all of us already knew:

You make touching, thought-provoking and stimulating pictures!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #3179
Stalker of Britain

Oh, yay, tsa!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #3180
tsa
Playing character

Thank you ladies! I'm flattered!