You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 03:08 AM   #1981
Backsliding Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I'd say that the press sucks when it talks about a lot of things (AGs included) but well said. It's the stereotype view of mental illness that makes it harder for people to get the help they need. They fear the stigma created by negative press.
Aw, come on, guys. I was a member of "the press" for a long time, both as a freelancer and then as an editor, and I can tell you that for the most part, we are not dark-hearted evil-doers out to get the rest of the world. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it is due to the press that much of the stigma surrounding mental illness (including bipolar disorder, autism and addiction) has lessened--shine a light on anything, and it becomes less fearful, in my opinion. Most journalists are in search of the truth, whatever that happens to be. How the facts are interpreted can be the fodder for tabloids, but most newspapers are not tabloids.
Oh, it's a dying business anyway. Still had to render my defense of what used to be seen as an honorable career.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 AM   #1982
kamikaze hummingbirds

Unfortunately though, tabloids are mainstream because so many people are confused by articles with more words than pictures and aren't related to celebrities on wonderfully imaginative drug binges.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #1983
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
Aw, come on, guys. I was a member of "the press" for a long time, both as a freelancer and then as an editor, and I can tell you that for the most part, we are not dark-hearted evil-doers out to get the rest of the world. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it is due to the press that much of the stigma surrounding mental illness (including bipolar disorder, autism and addiction) has lessened--shine a light on anything, and it becomes less fearful, in my opinion. Most journalists are in search of the truth, whatever that happens to be. How the facts are interpreted can be the fodder for tabloids, but most newspapers are not tabloids.
Oh, it's a dying business anyway. Still had to render my defense of what used to be seen as an honorable career.
Fair comment. As you say journalism was once considered an honourable career. Sadly it seems that most of the papers I see these days have decided to veer in the tabloid direction. When journalists do a proper, honourable job (as I'm sure you did Merricat) then they can be a great force for good.

Is this a sign of modern times, where the easy to soundbite tabloid approach wins out over proper analysis? It's depressing to think so.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #1984
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
Anyway, I'm in a "Wednesday Addams" kind of mood lately, so thanks for letting me vent a bit AG blog thread!
(((MystGirl)))
I understand what you say about escaping the real world for a bit when playing AG. I also used them to get my mind off the world as it was being too difficult to handle during a rather recent period of my life. This forum is a great place to be. There are lots of friendly, intelligent and fascinating people to get to know and I've used this blog more than once (most of all I think) to vent big and small issues that comes along.
Don't hesitate to post inhere when you feel the need.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #1985
Backsliding Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Fair comment. As you say journalism was once considered an honourable career. Sadly it seems that most of the papers I see these days have decided to veer in the tabloid direction. When journalists do a proper, honourable job (as I'm sure you did Merricat) then they can be a great force for good.

Is this a sign of modern times, where the easy to soundbite tabloid approach wins out over proper analysis? It's depressing to think so.
Thanks.

The problem for print journalism these days is that fewer and fewer people get their news from a newspaper. They watch television news, or go to internet sites for news organizations. So, unfortunately, the game has become "whatever sells." I think integrity still mattters to some organizations, but I'm an optimist.

Maybe it's not so much a sign of the times as a kind of passing phase created by the changes in our society brought on by the advancement of technology. Oh, sorry to blather on--it's just been on my mind lately.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #1986

Dear blog,

I've decided to wage a war against my constant procrastinating. I'm frankly sick of how many wasted days I've spent contemplating when I'm going to do something instead of actually doing it! There's absolutely nothing stopping me at all, except for a feeling of fear which keeps making me put things off. No more! (Hopefully )

Dan.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #1987
kamikaze hummingbirds

you go, girlfriend!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #1988
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Yes, because posting in this forum doesn't count as further procrastination
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #1989

I had to announce my declaration of war somewhere.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #1990
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
It's still an honorable career. I just get irritated with the way some in the press want to "sensationalize" mental illness. (I realize not all press is "bad")

I respect your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
(((MystGirl)))
I understand what you say about escaping the real world for a bit when playing AG. I also used them to get my mind off the world as it was being too difficult to handle during a rather recent period of my life. This forum is a great place to be. There are lots of friendly, intelligent and fascinating people to get to know and I've used this blog more than once (most of all I think) to vent big and small issues that comes along.
Don't hesitate to post inhere when you feel the need.

Thanks. This is a very cool forum.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #1991
tsa
Playing character

Mystgirl, I admire you for posting about your problems on the forum. I'm not so brave. I sure hope you also have close friends that you can cry to. That helps a lot. If not, here's my shoulder.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #1992
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Mystgirl, I admire you for posting about your problems on the forum. I'm not so brave. I sure hope you also have close friends that you can cry to. That helps a lot. If not, here's my shoulder.

I do, thank you. (thank you for the kind words tsa) I was just in an especially sour mood last night. I try not to "dump" my personal stuff online too much.

Doing better today.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #1993
Lovable rogue

I shouldn't laugh, but I broke a man's bed last night, and I find it hilarious. Now he has to sleep on a mattress on the floor, hehe. I woke up, and after the initial disorientation I clambered out of this bed, and I looked back down and noticed that the mattress was in fact on the floor, and the bed-frame was just standing there around it serving no purpose. So I said "Oh dear, whatever happened to your bed?" to which he responded "You broke it last night..." and at that precise moment the bottom right bedpost fell to the floor with a thud. Of course I don't remember last night, but I think the lesson to be learnt here is, if one plans on taking me home, one should have sturdy furniture. Oh well, I'm sure he can claim it on the insurance, they must have a "drunken bed-guest" tick box on the forms. The best thing was, this gentleman lived close to my friend, so after leaving I popped over and he made me a cup of Earl Grey and we watched The Persuaders on DVD.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #1994
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
I noticed another bipolar poster in this thread. (I keep running into fellow "mentally ill" folks online all the time. Small world!) My long winded posts may have already given me away.
I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness; however, I've noticed that a significant percentage of my closest friends have been (including the other bipolar poster to whom you refer), so I wonder what that says about me. There's also the hypothesis put forth in Douglas Coupland's JPod that all people who work in the tech industry are autistic to some degree, and I happen to be a game programmer, so...

Quote:
Personally, I don't blog, because I think they're lame (because I'm a snarky snob sometimes!), and I read somewhere that something like 98% of blogs on the internet never get read by anyone, except the writer themselves. (Jeeze, we really need to get out more.) LOL. (this is a cool thread though, so it's the exception to lameness!)
http://www.deirdrakiai.com/2007/10/1...embarrassment/
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #1995
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Dear blog,

I've decided to wage a war against my constant procrastinating.
10 top reasons why I procrastinate:
  1. Making this list
Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #1996
Backsliding Pagan

Quote:
It's still an honorable career. I just get irritated with the way some in the press want to "sensationalize" mental illness. (I realize not all press is "bad")

I respect your post.
Good enough for me. Thanks. I'm a stay-at-home writer now, but I still have compassion for those who continue in the journalistic trenches. It's a tough job, especially these days.

I, too, know a number of people with bipolar disorder; most of them are artists (visual art, music, dance, etc.), and they try to make the disorder serve them in their work. Are you an artist, or do you enjoy some form of creative expression that you can use as a vessel? My former running partner was bipolar, and he used running as a means to regulate his moods. Does this work for you at all?

Busy day today. Time to put on the music and get to work.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #1997
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I shouldn't laugh, but I broke a man's bed last night, and I find it hilarious. Now he has to sleep on a mattress on the floor, hehe. I woke up, and after the initial disorientation I clambered out of this bed, and I looked back down and noticed that the mattress was in fact on the floor, and the bed-frame was just standing there around it serving no purpose. So I said "Oh dear, whatever happened to your bed?" to which he responded "You broke it last night..." and at that precise moment the bottom right bedpost fell to the floor with a thud. Of course I don't remember last night, but I think the lesson to be learnt here is, if one plans on taking me home, one should have sturdy furniture. Oh well, I'm sure he can claim it on the insurance, they must have a "drunken bed-guest" tick box on the forms. The best thing was, this gentleman lived close to my friend, so after leaving I popped over and he made me a cup of Earl Grey and we watched The Persuaders on DVD.
That is hilarious. I needed a good laugh after today. How in the world did you break the bed, if I may ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness; however, I've noticed that a significant percentage of my closest friends have been (including the other bipolar poster to whom you refer), so I wonder what that says about me. There's also the hypothesis put forth in Douglas Coupland's JPod that all people who work in the tech industry are autistic to some degree, and I happen to be a game programmer, so...

http://www.deirdrakiai.com/2007/10/1...embarrassment/

Heh. (I know what you mean about "tech" people.) I wouldn't worry about it. You're just drawn to certain "types" of personalities. If you're truly worried about some kind of mental deal running around in your brain, you can look them up online. They list the symptoms of bipolar and other types of mental disorders, on many sites dedicated to explaining all these types of things. www.dbsalliance.org is a good one.

Oh, and if blogging makes you happy, that's all that matters. Who cares what others (like me) think about blogging. I think for some, it's a good way of "venting" about stuff. Writing is a good way to "get stuff out" in a constructive way. If blogs help that, then I cool. (I'm just too impatient to do one myself)

Quote:
Good enough for me. Thanks. I'm a stay-at-home writer now, but I still have compassion for those who continue in the journalistic trenches. It's a tough job, especially these days.

I, too, know a number of people with bipolar disorder; most of them are artists (visual art, music, dance, etc.), and they try to make the disorder serve them in their work. Are you an artist, or do you enjoy some form of creative expression that you can use as a vessel? My former running partner was bipolar, and he used running as a means to regulate his moods. Does this work for you at all?

Busy day today. Time to put on the music and get to work.

Yep, I'm an artist. (data entry clerk to pay the bills) I think creativity is very common in the "mentally ill" community. I think scientists have even made some kind of brain connection for this reason. (Van Gogh for example. Completely nuts, but a brilliant painter)

Meds work great for some, not so good for others, and the side effects are a nightmare for many of us. Exercise can be a good "natural" way to control depression. Your running friend was doing a good thing. I'm looking into other "treatments" myself since I can't tolerate the side effects of the meds. Thank you for asking by the way.

I go on the internet a lot, and chat with online friends. Even though it's "limited socializing", it still helps to a certain degree.

Anyway, when it rains, it pours. We have an 18-year-old cat, and she has cancer. Today, we were told that she's on her last days, and there's nothing more we can do for her. But the vet was impressed with how well we took care of her and how hard we tried to keep her going. But now it's her time to go. We're sad, but in a way, it's also kind of a relief. To know that an older pet is going sooner, so that they won't have to suffer anymore. She was a good kitty. They'll be putting her to sleep on Monday. I'm not sure if we'll get another cat or not. We've had many pets over the years, and they've always been strays we've taken in. She found my mom in a parking lot 18 years ago and mom brought her home.

All I can say is, don't buy your pets at pet stores. (in the US anyway) Only adopt them from pet shelters or pet rescue type places. Too many pets from pet stores, come from horrible puppy mills or other places where they are starved, abused, and just bred to pump out babies till they get to pet stores. And pet shelters have to put down tons of animals every day because they're aren't enough people willing to adopt. Not enough people spay and neuter their pets as well to help control the population.

Ok, I'd better stop. I'm rambling into another tangent about something. LOL.

Have a good weekend guys.

(here's our little furry muffin)

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MystGirl; 04-05-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1998
Super Moderator

Pretty kitty! Euthanizing a friend who's been with you for so long is tough.

I hope you remember all the good times (and even some of the naughty kitty moments ).

As for blogs, I visit this one pretty often:

Beyond Blue (the writer also has bipolar)
Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #1999
Backsliding Pagan

I know that grief well. When I got my first apartment, I also got two cats. One lived 17 years, and the other stayed with me for 22 years. I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #2000
Freeware Co-ordinator

Sorry about your cat MystGirl. Looks like a fine animal.

Here in the frozen wastes of the UK it is snowing. Heavily.

It's April for goodness sake! Time of Spring and new growth and not needing my winter coat any more!!!

Haven't got a digital camera so I can't do immediate pictures but my wife's taken some with her ordinary camera so may be able to at some point in the future.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree