You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 02:29 AM   #1
soffistical

Default The Matrix

Just read this hilarious and quite interesting analyze of Matrix - Reloaded. Only for those who have actually seen the movie! Spoiler warning! And major use of a dictionary warning! LOL! Read it anyways, it's quite fun!

http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/051803matrix.htm
Old 09-19-2003, 02:52 AM   #2
Joop Sloop

Quote:
The fact that The One comes from the machine world is a brilliant way to write around the fact that Keanu Reeves can't act.
ROFL

interesting explanation of the movie I wonder if the Bro's know they put all this in their movies...
Old 09-19-2003, 03:04 AM   #3
Revolution Fanatic

What an ace read!
My fav bit: Will Neo wake up and say, "Bill, dude, you won't believe this bitchin' dream I just had. . ."?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:09 AM   #4
soffistical

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneb
What an ace read!
My fav bit: Will Neo wake up and say, "Bill, dude, you won't believe this bitchin' dream I just had. . ."?
LOL! That's one of my favorite parts too!
Old 09-20-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
Headbanger

Quote:
"Thankfully, Reloaded more than allayed my fears, even if it seems that half the reviewers either didn't understand what the Wachowskis were getting at, or else were only paying attention during the highway chase. Watching the movie, I was personally less impressed by the fists of digital fury than by the Brothers' evident familiarity with the Dead Sea Scrolls and the theology of Origen of Alexandria. Seen in the light of the books they're referencing, the movie's plot is brilliant; of course, to the non-initiate, the characters' actions and dialogue seems arbitrary and incomprehensible, and the exposition is just filler between car crashes. It would seem, therefore, that a bit of exegesis of The Matrix: Reloaded is warranted."

I am stunned about what shit people make up in order to justify a worthless movie (Sorry but I couldn't help myself).
Old 09-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I am stunned about what shit people make up in order to justify a worthless movie (Sorry but I couldn't help myself).
AMEN. I was going to post something like this anyway. I'm with you, man. It's very possible you like the first film, though, which I thought was pretty stupid as well.

When I first saw The Matrix (the first one), I freaked out because of how awesome it was. I thought it was quite cool that a movie had blended philosophy with crazy action, even if some of the acting left something to be desired. But as I saw it a few more times, I started to get the feeling the philosophy was rather half-baked, and wasn't really anything that hasn't been said a million times before. The acting wasn't that great (particularly in the case of Mr. Whoa, obviously), and the writing was nothing special. Basically, it was a big spectacular special effects movie. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I feel it gets a lot more status that it should. It's just plain old "entertainment" that somehow managed to fool a lot of people.

Now, Reloaded was just a pile of crap from the beginning. It looks like they got a Philosophy 101 student to throw in overt religious and philosophical overtones from whatever random school of thought they could find, yet not actually be held accountable to carrying through any meaningful metaphor or allegory! Some apparently call this brilliant; I call it sloppy and a cop-out. It's easy enough to just attach important-sounding names for things and pay some lip service to their namesakes. Hell, I could do that. All that aside, the writing was almost ridiculous, and the acting was again pretty stale. The movie was constructed in such a way as to create the impression of not even being a movie, but not in a good way. It felt more like a video game than anything else, with the character going from goal to goal with no real feeling of coherency. Also, the fight scenes (one of the few parts of the first film I actually appreciate) were almost all pointless. It was essentially "I am Neo, you can't hurt me, so we're just going to fight for a while then I'll run away". The only fight I sort of enjoyed was Morpheus' during the car chase (btw, that was heralded as one of the greatest car chases in history?! Give me a break! It was a bunch of vehicles gratuitiously exploding on a freeway, while a Cadillac sustains absurd amount of damage. If you want a REAL car chase, go watch Ronin or Bullett), because there was actually some sense of tension. And while most of the fights I were just boring to me, the Smiths vs. Neo scene was just ridiculous, and not in a good way. I almost started laughing out loud. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I felt like almost all of the secondary characters were introducted utterly artificially, just as an excuse to stick in more half-assed philosophy and provide some artificially-contrived plot devices out of nowhere.

Ok, I have to stop : P Hope I havent offended any hardcore fans or anything. I wouldn't be so adamantly against the films if they didn't generate such extreme opinions from people. If everyone was like "That was exciting, but you know, whatever, blah blah blah, I guess it was worth my $9" I don't think I'd make such a thing about it, but I suppose that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-21-2003, 09:44 AM   #7
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
It's very possible you like the first film, though, which I thought was pretty stupid as well.
I'm with you all the way. When I got out of the theatre I wanted my money back.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I'm with you all the way. When I got out of the theatre I wanted my money back.
That's exactly what I thought with a buddy of mine when we saw this "Mr. Whoa" movie.

I don't think I'm going to pay 8? to see the crap finale in christmas.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:20 AM   #9
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
...Hope I havent offended any hardcore fans or anything.
I'm crushed. I have to consult with the Oracle, because after your post, I can't even bring myself to jump more than a story or two without losing faith.

I consider the Matrix series to be marginal entertainment. They don't excite me nearly as much as, say, TLOTR - which is in a class by itself.