Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   LonelyGirl15 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/17030-lonelygirl15.html)

rlpw 09-22-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 342935)
:crazy: O god, wotta damn freak he turned out to be.

Spoiler:
But damn, was he good in bed!!

And that's a BAD thing?

Intrepid Homoludens 09-22-2006 01:10 PM

It's a bit of a story. He excommunicated me because I couldn't answer his phone call right way (I was on the bus and refuse to use my cell phone because I don't want strangers eavesdropping). Funny thing is that just prior to that he would lavish me with silly phone calls and treats. He basically wanted to get serious with the relationship.

rlpw 09-22-2006 01:17 PM

thats not a freak thats totally anal. No wait that might not be a good way to describe it

Intrepid Homoludens 09-22-2006 01:23 PM

You have NO ide-------

...never mind.

Jeysie 09-22-2006 01:45 PM

On the one hand, I know that you can't always believe what you see online.

On the other hand, if you have to go around assuming everything's fake, you never get anything done, either.

I base my actions strongly on personal observation and knowledge. Therefore I'm very, very big on honesty. I don't even like white lies. I don't like finding out I've based my actions/arguments on false information, and thus made myself look like a fool, come to an incorrect conclusion (that I wouldn't have with correct info) and/or wasted my time. One reason why I prefer to stay out of politics and religion, actually.

If I found out someone was giving a false persona, and/or expressing false beliefs and/or information, I'd be pretty irritated and probably ignore everything that person said from then on out.

I actually *did* have that happen once... I knew a fellow online who had pretended to be an ultraconservative to see how people would react (and partly because he'd been struggling with his own belief systems). Eventually he grew guilty when he started to befriend some of the people he was fooling (and when I noted while debating with him that he didn't seem to really believe some of what he was saying) and admitted the whole deal himself, which the only reason I gave him a second chance. He seemed surprised when he found out I was far more upset over being lied to than over the beliefs he was claiming to have (which differed strongly from my own).

I have to admit I never understood the point of adopting a fake online persona anyway.

OFFline I can understand doing this. If you're a geek in a town full of non-geeks, or even just working in a place full of non-geeks, or somesuch, you tend to be "stuck". It's a lot harder (and sometimes impractical) to move to someplace you're not such an oddball. So you might pretend to be something you're not just to fit in better.

But online? The internet has *everything*. No matter what your personality, interests, beliefs, etc., you can probably find at least one place you'll fit in. So, given a choice between making the effort to be fake in a place you wouldn't otherwise hang out, or being yourself in a place you fit in... well, I'd much, much rather do the latter.

If you really feel a burning need to play another persona, join one of the hundreds of roleplaying forums/groups/sites/networks out there.

As for the YouTube girl... it's even worse. Why on Earth would you waste your time with this at all? All the time she spent on this could have been spent actually doing something *productive* towards her actress goal, like making a "real" indie film, or getting some paid/extra acting work somewhere.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Intrepid Homoludens 09-22-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeysie
As for the YouTube girl... it's even worse. Why on Earth would you waste your time with this at all? All the time she spent on this could have been spent actually doing something *productive* towards her actress goal, like making a "real" indie film, or getting some paid/extra acting work somewhere.

Are you sure about that? Who knows what kinds of offers she'll be getting from directors and advertisers for her notorious talent. It's practically guaranteed.

Jeysie 09-22-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trep
Are you sure about that? Who knows what kinds of offers she'll be getting from directors and advertisers for her notorious talent. It's practically guaranteed.

I probably don't think like the average casting agent, but if I had a choice between two talented people, I'd be inclined to take the one that didn't have (as it now sounds) a rep for dishonesty and pissing off the audience.

She could have showed off her talent just as well in a non-dishonest venue, and thus not added any potential negativities into the matter. Sorry, I just fail to see the point of doing something in a dishonest way, when the honest methods would likely be just as effective.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Intrepid Homoludens 09-22-2006 02:00 PM

Understood. But whereas you failed to see the point of doing something in a dishonest way, the talent scouts will not (and have not with other similar self-promoting stunts) fail to see how clever she was. After all, it's a very competitive industry, to the point where often times people have to resort to these 'creative' ways to get noticed. She's not the first, and she will definitely not be the last.

Jeysie 09-22-2006 02:04 PM

Heh. I guess I'm just sad that I know that memory is such a fleeting thing in society. And even more sad that "oh yeah, that's the girl who lied to her entire audience" wouldn't have much of an effect anyway.

But that's why, unlike almost everyone else in society, I make it a point to know absolutely as little about a celebrity's personal life as possible. Because I know the truth would probably hurt my enjoyment of their work. Pretty sad that I have to feel that way.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Giligan 09-22-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeysie (Post 343001)
Because I know the truth would probably hurt my enjoyment of their work. Pretty sad that I have to feel that way.

Peace & Luv, Liz

This factor can be attributed to the fact that we, and the celebrity him/herself, takes celebrities too seriously.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-22-2006 02:12 PM

Oops, I forgot to pitch in my own personal thoughts on this. I think it's surreal and thought provoking. It makes us question what we confirm as truths, facts, and inventions. There is definitely truth in there somewhere in how LonelyGirl15 presented herself to the world, just as there is truth to how others present themselves. Not just on the internet, but in the real world as well. What do you show? What do you not show? What is worth revealing and why? Is it to your best advantage to be 100% honest about yourself, your identity, or are parts of you best left hidden or at the very best, obscured?

Giligan 09-22-2006 02:14 PM

So are you bald or not? :P

rlpw 09-22-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Trep was typing n said
Is it to your best advantage to be 100% honest about yourself, your identity, or are parts of you best left hidden or at the very best, obscured?
I keep a good chunk of me obscured and for good reason. It's not in my children's best interest and Iv'e already had my share in the net stalking problem. For instance I place my name on my custom user title (Paul not Aardvark, or the fuzzy) but I do not go by my legal name normally so that's fine. but I catch myself using my kids names more than I should

samIamsad 09-22-2006 02:26 PM

He's just complicaaaated. :P

And I'm Lucien. There, it's out... Thehehhhhhhhhhh. No. I'm totally myself here, you can see a little bit of myself in my avatar, in my words and.. everything. Nothing to hide, so what the heck. The only thing I'm hiding is my real name. There are places where I'm posting under my real name though.

Does anybody know how that whole internet nickname thing came to be? I just kind of adopted. Thought it was cool. And came up with a stupid nickname like that... :shifty:

Jeysie 09-22-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan
This factor can be attributed to the fact that we, and the celebrity him/herself, takes celebrities too seriously.

Actually, it's more the fact that, in other careers (at least ones I'm personally familiar with) personal conduct and honesty matter.

If you act like a jackass, or lie, then sooner or later you get fired or it comes back to bite you on the ass. I've seen this happen. The only time it doesn't happen is when you're the boss, in which case you tend to have a near-impossible time hanging onto employees (which I've also seen happen).

As for Trep's question, I'd strongly prefer about 90% honesty myself. (There are some occasions where the truth is far more damaging than a lie, though I prefer simply omitting the truth to outright lies in those instances.) But, let's face it, most people are ill equipped to handle truths they don't like. So we have to go around spouting little white lies (if not larger ones) frequently... not to mention wasting time having to work around people's dishonesty. (I could probably write an entire essay on how much easier life would be if people didn't try to fool one another.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

RLacey 09-22-2006 02:33 PM

I don't think that I've actively lied about myself at any point on these forums. If there's something that I don't want to share then I prefer to not talk about it all.

And I suspect that that goes for most people here. At least, I guess that that's the case.

rlpw 09-22-2006 02:41 PM

I have lied. I'm not actually posessed by a Devil Pirate

samIamsad 09-22-2006 02:44 PM

Is it LeCh...?

Jazhara7 09-22-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad (Post 343055)
Is it LeCh...?

No, silly, that's a Demonic Zombie Ghost Pirate.

But not a Devil Pirate.

Davy Jones on the other hand, is an Illithid Lich pirate, it seems.

- :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

stepurhan 09-23-2006 01:51 AM

I think that forums are different from the whole LonelyGirl15 thing because you are interacting with the people on here. Because lonely girl operated through videos and a blog she had complete control over what was presented. She didn't have to react to other people in any way. If she'd had to hold online conversations "in-character" that would have made her job more difficult. Not impossible just harder.

As for how we'd react to someone not being who they say they are on here, what would matter.
The level of deception. If I said I was Welsh instead of English who would care. If I said I lived in a different country that might or might not affect people. Chatting with someone across the world is different from chatting with someone just down the street. If I said I was a woman instead of a man that would probably cause ructions. Several people on the forum react to me based on my being male so that would be considered a major betrayal.

In case anyone is worried I really am an English bloke living in the UK.

Deliberate or accidental. If someone decides I'm a woman and I not only don't correct them but encourage that belief then that's deception. If someone decides I'm a woman but I don't realise (and would correct them if I did) that's hardly my fault is it.

Commission or Omission. If I say I'm a freewheeling single looking for some hot loving that's deception. If I just don't say that I'm a married man (this is a gaming forum after all. It's not high on the list of likely subjects to come up) am I guilty of deception?
With some of the people I've got to know on here it would sadden me to find out they're not who they say they are. With others I wouldn't care. A friend is a friend and a friend that lies to you (no matter how remote they may be) is never a good thing.

Oh, and Saks. I have a life. I just choose to do different things with it to you.