You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Star Wars Original Trilogy Non-SE DVDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default Star Wars Original Trilogy Non-SE DVDs

So has anyone else gotten ahold of these things yet?

From what I've heard the transfers are from the laserdisc editions, so they should have about the same video quality. The picture's not as sharp as in the 2004 SE though, and my biggest disappointment is that they aren't anamorphic.

Still it's nice that Lucas finally woke up and smelled the money to be made from a DVD release of the original films.

So we no longer have the new Ian McDiarmid scene from 2004...

...because the old woman with the chimpanzee eyes makes a comeback.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #2

I got them as well, but haven't watched them yet.

I'm just glad to have a version of the movies minus the special edition stuff that won't degrade like my VHS versions have (I've had bootlegs of the laserdisc for some time, but they didn't work well, having lots of artifacting and out-of-sync audio.)

I do think it's silly that they removed "A New Hope" from the title sequence of the first film. Yeah, it didn't say that when it came out in 1977, but there are dozens of other things that changed between when the movie came out and the video/HBO releases, so why just change that one thing?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I just refuse to hand over yet more money for yet another copy of Star Wars, I'm afraid. Though the two-disc editions are certainly an improvement over the previous releases of these films.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

They diden't have them at the store today, but i'll see if they have them friday when i'm picking up BS4
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm too bored to get these, George is a real money hungry bastard and that's never going to change.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
is not wierd

I refuse to get them because the original versions (which are only "bonuses", wtf) are nonanamorphic. Fuck that. You know in a couple years LucasFilm or whatever will release the originals in proper DVDs by themselves with some new extras.

However I think it is also unfair to accuse Lucas of being money-hungry. It is for him a continuous artform, and as technology improves he just wants to keep working on the films. Nothing wrong with that. But I do wish he would drop his attitude toward the original versions (releasing them on DVD at all is a big step though, considering he had shunned that idea some time before).
Old 09-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I just refuse to hand over yet more money for yet another copy of Star Wars, I'm afraid.
I feel the same, although I'd maybe tempded to buy the new edition of Jedi if I saw it reduced, because I just can't stand watching the scene at the end with Hayden standing beside Obi Wan and Yoda, it's just wrong on so many levels.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
I feel the same, although I'd maybe tempded to buy the new edition of Jedi if I saw it reduced, because I just can't stand watching the scene at the end with Hayden standing beside Obi Wan and Yoda, it's just wrong on so many levels.
I kinda got used to that after i watched ROTS. I hated it at first. I kinda liked it later.

Anyway i bought them to day. and only watched the first have of ANH. Doesn't look like he changed that much.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
I don't see how it's so wrong. The original apparition was of Vader (that is, the form of Anakin corrupted by the Dark Side of the Force). I think in a way it was actually more poetic to show Anakin, not Vader. Sort of a cleansing, or a return.