You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #21
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I'll bet you have.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #22
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I've heard many reports that you're a dumbass.
Hey, don't fuck with it, Saks. Please mind your manners and you'll maintain some respect around here, okay? This isn't the 3DRealms or Gamespy forums so knock it off.

Anyway, last night I watched that documentary aired on CBS about these two brothers (they had French accents) who were filming a particular fire house in NYC to show how firefighters develop deep friendship, camaraderie, and bonds. As it happened, they were called in when the WTC was attacked, and the filmmakers ended up being the very first ones with footage. One brother captured the towers, the other was actually inside it with the firefighters. So in effect the whole thing was told from the firefighters' point of view.

It was agonizing to watch, but at the same time so very heartwarming, how these guys - ordinary guys with family - risked their lives and the crippling emotional toll they endured. Half the time I was crying while watching it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-11-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #23
Homer of Kittens

9/11 has sadly become blatant republican propaganda for the upcoming November elections. And Disney and ABC should be ashamed of themselves for airing that mockumentary that is based on fiction, the same corporation that refused to distribute Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 because it was too political.
What a hypocracy.

Firefox rules
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
...And Disney and ABC should be ashamed of themselves for airing that mockumentary that is based on fiction, the same corporation that refused to distribute Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 because it was too political.
What a hypocracy.
Did you watch it?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #25
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy
Does she actually say "nine eleven" or "the 11th of September"? 'Cause I think people would react to the first one more, because of the negative connotations that the date's nickname is used for.
We don't use "nine eleven" here in Norway. If we'd said it like that we would have said "eleventh in nine". I'm guessing that she tends to say 11th of sep. but I can't be positive..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #26
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal
Did you watch it?
Yeah I did

Firefox rules
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #27
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
9/11 has sadly become blatant republican propaganda for the upcoming November elections. And Disney and ABC should be ashamed of themselves for airing that mockumentary that is based on fiction, the same corporation that refused to distribute Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 because it was too political.
What a hypocracy.
Well, I don't think anyone needs to worry about Republicans doing well in elections anytime soon, propaganda or not.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I don't mourn for any one person who died on the 11th of September, simply because I didn't know anyone. I do, however, have strong emotional ties to the day, as do many people - I distinctly remember walking into the door after school, and the TV was on, and my mum had this look of horror on her face... and I saw those burning towers and said: "...holy shit, is someone trying to start a war?!"

I hate being 'right'.

Also, the despair of the people on that day is what moves me (and still does). Never the actual deaths, though. The people who jumped out the windows - that moves me. I can only imagine what must drive a person to throw themselves off a skyscraper, just to escape the flames. That is the 11th of September to me. Not the just under 3000 names.

There's an interesting article in the german magazine Der Spiegel wherein the author uses the phrase "America abused the sympathies of the entire world after the 11th of September". That, too, is what the date symbolises - how a nation arrogantly walked all over diplomacy. But that's a dead horse debate, and actually, I find the quoted statement to be a hyperbole, even if it makes for a great cynical summary of events since.

I hope that not too far in the future, the aftermath of that day will have positive impacts, such as the nuclear strikes of Japan have fostered an amazing culture. Note - this is not to say the event is good. It's not. But good can come of it, and I hope it will, and it likely already has.

Above all, I think it is a day that demands respect. There are many people who've yet to get over the events. I am one of them, though for different reasons; nonetheless, I want to say - if you have lost family, or know someone that has, or just care... don't let anyone tell you that's wrong, just because five years have passed since. My advice is to perhaps take a day or week off from watching television - avoid polarisations, avoid politics, avoid people like me who have nothing but a shakey, trembling snark to contribute. Honestly, don't let anyone tell you they know you better than you do yourself.

The same goes for those who are sick of the topic.

Please respect each other. (I know you're doing so on this forum, it's a general statement of hope.)

Irrelevant observation: I'm a bit annoyed that I find myself saying "nine eleven", too. I don't write my dates like that. If anything, it's 11/9. Sigh.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #29
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Well, I don't think anyone needs to worry about Republicans doing well in elections anytime soon, propaganda or not.
Well that was the way things were going, with Democrats looking really good right after Lamont beat Lieberman, but all of a sudden you got a terrorist plot foiled by the british, several other incidents involving false alarms on planes (like the woman who freaked out on the plane and allegedly had something written down about al Qaeda, but it proved to be a false alarm), and then the ABC Bush propaganda and the Clinton smear mockumentary, and all of a sudden, the fear and smear campaign seems to be working.

Firefox rules
Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #30
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hey, don't fuck with it, Saks. Please mind your manners and you'll maintain some respect around here, okay? This isn't the 3DRealms or Gamespy forums so knock it off.
Since when did I care about...

...wait...3DRealms? Wtf?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #31
merely human

Saks

Act up again and I'll send a truckload of onions to your front door, bitch.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-12-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Yeah I did
What specific parts did you find to be false?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #33
Party On Dudes

r.i.p. to everyone who has lost their lives due to imperialism, whether it be 11th of the 9th or right now in iraq. peace.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #34
The Greater

You know, it's funny, I would naturally think that any sensible person would have enough common sense to realize that a giant tower doesn't fall straight down when it's hit by a aircraft. The only thing that would cause that is small demolitions charges placed on the spine of the building, which any demolitions expert could tell you.

Last edited by Giligan; 09-12-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #35
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
The part where the Clinton official said no to the troops in Afghanistan, both parts were ficticious, the troops in Afghanistan and the Clinton official saying no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
We talk about 9/11, but have forgotten about the Pearl Harbor incident. Over 3,500 people died on 12/7/41, and over half of those 3,500 are still entombed within the USS Arizona.
Or the only time a state has ever used nuclear weapons in a war, against cities with a majority civilian popuation, killing hundreds of thousands.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #36
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
How about the fact that George W Bush got reports of a possible attack in August 2001, and he ignored it? Was that mentioned in the film?

Firefox rules
Old 09-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #37
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Or the only time a state has ever used nuclear weapons in a war, against cities with a majority civilian popuation, killing hundreds of thousands.
Hey, I'll be the first to admit that among terrorists, America is the worst.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #38
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
Hey, I'll be the first to admit that among terrorists, America is the worst.
Don't generalize the action of one president to the whole American population. Remember that 60+% of people in America are against the war in Iraq right now, but it's not their fault if they were lied to.

Firefox rules
Old 09-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #39

Quote:
How about the fact that George W Bush got reports of a possible attack in August 2001, and he ignored it? Was that mentioned in the film?
You must have not watched the second half of the "docudrama" (aired on Monday). The warnings in August 2001 were indeed mentioned. The Bush administration was hardly let off the hook. If anything, the show was anti-bureaucratic B.S. and red tape than anything else.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #40
The Greater

Quote:
Don't generalize the action of one president to the whole American population. Remember that 60+% of people in America are against the war in Iraq right now, but it's not their fault if they were lied to.
Well, we are the only people to ever use a nuclear or atomic weapon against an enemy in the history of mankind, don't forget.