You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Weird...

So I got home from school. I had stopped off a couple of places and got home about 6:15 pm. I turn on the local news and they are talking about a guy holed up in a house with his mother-in-law as a hostage. It's near where I live and they said they had a major street closed off and they were keeping people within a multiblock radius from entering the area. I must have taken the correct way home because I missed all of it.

I don't know why I'm posting this other than it's weird that I didn't notice anything driving home. You always hear of this stuff happening but it's always elsewhere.

I hope it all ends peacefully.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Psychonaut

He must be mad.

Trapped in a house with his mother-in-law must be torture.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I don't know why I'm posting this
Don't worry about it. I often feel I want to share things here on the forum/chit chat. There are always replies that are toughtful and fun.

Perhaps you've heard more about the incident by now? I hope it worked out well.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I must have taken the correct way home because I missed all of it.

when my parents divorced my moms said that she would be driving to work and zone out, and not remember driving to work. She would say that she remembered getting in the car and that would be the last thing she would remember before she got to work. I hope all turned out ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
He must be mad.

Trapped in a house with his mother-in-law must be torture.

I know I would be…… the torture of spending time with the mother –n- law is enough to give any sane person a tick.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
I know I would be…… the torture of spending time with the mother –n- law is enough to give any sane person a tick.
I had the best parents-in-law anyone could ask for. Both of them caring and considerate without interfering in our family life. Sadly they both passed away way too young with only a year apart -97 and -98.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I had the best parents-in-law anyone could ask for. Both of them caring and considerate without interfering in our family life. Sadly they both passed away way too young with only a year apart -97 and -98.

that is sad . My mother -n- law is very "I know it all", "if you have done it, I have done it better", and her favorite line "I raised 4 boys all by my self".... never mind she is married and her husband was there the whole time. She talks down to people to make her self look important and gives out back handed complements. for example she told me this the first time I meet her.... "I'm glad that Matthew loves you.... all of my boys married heavy women", then the next complement was "wow, that pink shirt looks so good on you, yes it's a little snug, but it would look awful on me and it would just hang like a big bed sheet on me". that's why no one likes her.... I wish that she was more like my mom; she keeps her nose out of our business and keeps her comments to her self. but I still try and respect her b/c she is Matt's mom.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Apparently he had both his in-laws and the police finally persuaded him to let his father-in-law go then negotiations broke down. They then got him to let his mother-in-law go and finally they tear-gassed him out so it ended peacefully (thankfully).

It was actually just a little south of me which is why I missed it driving home (I have no sense of direction sometimes, I had to check the city map to see where exactly it was happening).
Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Both of my in-laws are fine. It's my stepfather that drives me nuts.

The important thing is that you are OK Mel. There is a reason they throw these cordons around the area. To stop innocent people getting caught up in it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Lazy Bee

Quote:
My mother -n- law is very "I know it all", "if you have done it, I have done it better", and her favorite line "I raised 4 boys all by my self".... never mind she is married and her husband was there the whole time. She talks down to people to make her self look important and gives out back handed complements. for example she told me this the first time I meet her.... "I'm glad that Matthew loves you.... all of my boys married heavy women", then the next complement was "wow, that pink shirt looks so good on you, yes it's a little snug, but it would look awful on me and it would just hang like a big bed sheet on me". that's why no one likes her.... I wish that she was more like my mom; she keeps her nose out of our business and keeps her comments to her self. but I still try and respect her b/c she is Matt's mom.
Bulldog
Your mother-in-law sounds like a nightmare. She must have very low self esteem picking on you like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Apparently he had both his in-laws and the police finally persuaded him to let his father-in-law go then negotiations broke down. They then got him to let his mother-in-law go and finally they tear-gassed him out so it ended peacefully (thankfully).
I'm glad you weren't anywhere near that situation. Things like this are in the newspapers all the time. But when it happens in the neighbourhood it's really scary. We discovered a couple a months ago that a man living a couple of streets away (we live on the country side) actually was arrested (and now convicted) for murder.
*shivers*
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Bulldog
Your mother-in-law sounds like a nightmare. She must have very low self esteem picking on you like that.
I'm glad you weren't anywhere near that situation. Things like this are in the newspapers all the time. But when it happens in the neighbourhood it's really scary. We discovered a couple a months ago that a man living a couple of streets away (we live on the country side) actually was arrested (and now convicted) for murder.
*shivers*

yeap, that's what I think too about my mother -n- law.

I too am glad that Mel is safe. stories like that are hard to watch unfold but in the end she was safe and he will be brought to justice.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Super Moderator

It didn't really affect me but thanks for worrying about me all the same. I wasn't in the place they blocked off.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Stealthy warfare is the only cure for a terminal case of nasty mother-in-law.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsie
that is sad . My mother -n- law is very "I know it all", "if you have done it, I have done it better", and her favorite line "I raised 4 boys all by my self".... never mind she is married and her husband was there the whole time. She talks down to people to make her self look important and gives out back handed complements. for example she told me this the first time I meet her....
Hmm. I'm just fantasizing about what I would say back to the ol' bag...

Quote:
"I'm glad that Matthew loves you.... all of my boys married heavy women"
Trep: "I'm glad your son treats me well. I'd hate to see his teeth smashed to bits by my foot if he ever criticized me about my weight." (said with THE most beautifully innocent smile: )

Quote:
then the next complement was "wow, that pink shirt looks so good on you, yes it's a little snug, but it would look awful on me and it would just hang like a big bed sheet on me".
Trep: "Yes, well I come from a family where the women are built for endurance. And you come from stock where they're built for speed. You know, like those very fast yet very frail little European sportscars that beefy, enduring Ford trucks rip to shreds for breakfast every morning."

Oh, and Melsie, don't sweat it. Hopefully the guy realized how moronic it was and turned himself in. And the mother-in-law realized that's the last time she messes with him, heh heh...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hmm. I'm just fantasizing about what I would say back to the ol' bag...

Trep: "I'm glad your son treats me well. I'd hate to see his teeth smashed to bits by my foot if he ever criticized me about my weight." (said with THE most beautifully innocent smile: )

Trep: "Yes, well I come from a family where the women are built for endurance. And you come from stock where they're built for speed. You know, like those very fast yet very frail little European sportscars that beefy, enduring Ford trucks rip to shreds for breakfast every morning."

Oh, and Melsie, don't sweat it. Hopefully the guy realized how moronic it was and turned himself in. And the mother-in-law realized that's the last time she messes with him, heh heh...

yep, I might have to use those next time. I really like the one about the teeth.