You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Syberia and Chinese government censorship

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
merely human

Default Syberia and Chinese government censorship

So several days ago I received this intriguing email...

Quote:
I'm a Chinese AVG gamer and I got your email by asking the website owner of a Syberia fansite < link removed >.

For years I've been loving this game for her great art-style and profound meaning of Searching and Dreams. It is until recently that I saw a post at a certain forum, which is about an in-depth analysis of the game: Life and Death on Rails: The Symbolisms of Syberia [written my me, Trep] ..... I would like to read it and translate it into Chinese, then post it in our own AVG game forum < link removed >. Unfortunately, the Geocities website has been blocked by our country for years (since even earlier than Syberia came out), so I can't open that link no matter how hard I tried....

That's why I'm writing to ask for a favor: Could you please send me the full article? I want to translate it just for letting more fellow Chinese AVGers enjoy the game more, and not for any commercial use of course, and if I done translating I will surely inform you my post link.

Eagerly waiting for your reply. Thanks!
I dunno. I'm kinda worried that he may end up stating that he himself wrote it once he posts it in that site. Wot you guys think?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Dungeon Master

If he intended to claim authorship, would he ask you of all people, though? Sounds pretty genuine to me.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
merely human

He has no idea about the content of my article, other than the fact that it's an analysis of Syberia. Would I be able to access that site in China if he provided me with a link to it after he translated the article?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Dungeon Master

I believe China only censors what websites do its citizens access, but has no control to speak of over what Chinese sites are seen by the foreigners from the outside world... (Don't quote me on that, though.) Of course, I'd imagine there are private/password-protected/etc. sites even in China, so you may have troubles viewing those.

Anyway, it's your call. I was just saying that if he wants to plagiarise the piece and present it as his, he'll most likely find a way even if you reject his request.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #5

Trep, what does it matter?

At best, you helped that guy, and many other Chinese fans, out bigtime. At worst, a small community of Chinese adventure gamers will think not you, but some other Chinaman wrote the article. What does it matter to you? You'll probably never get into contact with them anyway, since they probably don't even understand English.

Aside from that, it does look very genuine, so I'd certainly go for it.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

You shouldn't worry about it. If he's ever found out and claims that he wrote it, he will probably be executed by the Chinese government for writing about something that was censorable. And if he does credit you, you'll be placed on the Chinese most-wanted list. It's a win-win situation for you.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
merely human

The Chinese government will think me dangerous for corrupting the young minds of their most impressionable youth. How sexy is that?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
And if he does credit you, you'll be placed on the Chinese most-wanted list.
Kinda like Jack Bauer.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Exactly like Jack Bauer. I just wasn't sure how Trep felt about being bound and gagged on a tanker heading for Shanghai. ...I mean, I'm not sure how Trep feels about being on a tanker heading for Shanghai.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
is not wierd

Yea he said he'd give you the link. Maybe he's lying, but it seems like he's pretty honest to me.

Interesting little thing... American Google vs Chinese Google

So I imagine anything with .cn will be subject to censorship.

Last edited by Spiwak; 08-29-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ah, those crazy commie motherfuckers. Can't live with them, can't live...with them.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem