You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Next stop: Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #41
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

A couple of hours of driving? You do realise that Portsmouth is about as far away from Scotland as you can get without leaving Britain, right?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #42
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Bah. Just a trifle, that's all it is.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #43
Lazy Bee

Giligan, you do realize that they're driving on the wrong side of the road there. It must be really tricky getting anywhere.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #44
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

To quote Wikipedia...

Quote:
It is commonly asserted that left-hand traffic is a singularly British custom, the corollary being that the rest of the world "naturally" keeps to the right when meeting. The historical record suggests otherwise. (See "Places of Interest" section below.) Prior to World War I, countries observing the left-hand rule included parts of Canada, Russia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, parts of Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, parts of Brazil, parts of Chile, parts of Italy, China, the Philippines, and Burma. Russia changed near the end of the Tsarist period, Italy when Mussolini came to power, Austria and Czechoslovakia when Hitler annexed or occupied them, the Latin American countries by 1945, the Philippines and China in 1946 (leaving Hong Kong and Macau isolated), and Burma/Myanmar in 1970 on the advice of a soothsayer [2].
Source

Oh, and America did when it was still run by the British.

So, in fact, you're all just young, upperty individuals who have no sense of tradition .

Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #45
The Greater

Don't be such a dissagreeable little rodent.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #46
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

That's the second time I've read that reply tonight .

Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #47
The Greater

It's a phrase that's perfect for any occasion.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #48

Congratulations Mira, that sounds fantastic, and evidently part of a mass migration of adventure gamers to the UK. I do hope all goes well for you there.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #49
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
To quote Wikipedia...
Quote:
It is commonly asserted that left-hand traffic is a singularly British custom, the corollary being that the rest of the world "naturally" keeps to the right when meeting. The historical record suggests otherwise. (See "Places of Interest" section below.) Prior to World War I, countries observing the left-hand rule included parts of Canada, Russia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, parts of Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, parts of Brazil, parts of Chile, parts of Italy, China, the Philippines, and Burma.
There was no such country as Czechoslovakia prior to WWI. A couple of others are debatable, too, but it could be argued that the person who listed those others, by "X" meant "the area that today is X". But there is no Czechoslovakia today, either.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #50
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Good point. Ignore that part of the list .

Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #51
Schoolgirl From Hell

Well, so far so good. I'm having a great time here. And I'm pleased to announce that my flatmates are a pleasant, friendly and thoughtful bunch who keep well out of the way but are really supportive when you need a hand. I must say, there's so many French students here. I have two (or was it three?) German flatmates and uncountable French flatmates. Then there's this really tall Scottish lad who's doing Computer Animation and a really bubbly Glaswegian lass who's also in my class.

I've just started my first lecture today, and it was friggin' interesting. It's certainly a step above the Russian lectures . We covered about three major murder cases. Last week, we visited a crime scene mockup and it was really fun as we all traipsed about searching for clues and making our own conclusions. It's like having an adventuregamer coming to life. Unfortunately, I spent half of the time getting distracted by big-ass forest mushrooms and the gorgeous scenery. I also accidentally spilled cocaine on myself during one bagging-and-tagging evidence simulation activity last week and contaminated one evidence. Thank God there weren't any police dogs about when I walked home later. Ooooh, I should remember to wash that particular outfit.

I cooked for a couple of my flatmates last week, and duly impressed them with my Asian cooking skills. Also, it seems that a lot of people have been taking a peep into my larder because they seemed fascinated with this huge bag of dried chillies I have stored up. I'm the only Malaysian by far in my hall, so it's a lot more interesting for me to get mixed around. I've been to a few Fresher's Parties, and none of my new friends could understand why I don't drink and I don't understand why everyone is just sitting around and all they do is drink and nobody's dancing, lol. Peter, my German flatmate, kept pushing me to drink, and failed miserably. They keep telling me that I'll never be able to make new friends because I don't drink . Ah well, I'll live .

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #52
Lazy Bee

Good to see you again Mira and excellent news about your new location!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #53
merely human

I got your postcard, saucy. Thanks! That was a marvelous little surprise, mm-HMM.

Soooo, any cute guys in your dorm? Heh heh. Better yet, any cute professors? I freaking melt for Scottish accents. But I'm not there. Ah well. I got this tall hunky redhead after me right now ( at bullsie). He's got a carrot top, acts like a little boy, used to run around East L.A. with gangbangers but is today in the process of turning his life around (going back to school for a degree in interior design), and for some reason latched on to me . We've been texting each other, he keeps calling me 'Pip' (short for pip squeak).

You know, when redheads are hot, they're REALLY hot. He's adorable.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #54
Schoolgirl From Hell

Why do you think I always dye my hair red?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #55
merely human

You were probably a redhead in a past life.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #56
Super Moderator

That sounds fabulous hon. I'm so glad the classes are better and more fun for you.

Since you brought up cocaine, here's a little quiz for you (I'm evil ):

What's the best place to detect cocaine in a body?

To be extra evil, why?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #57
Schoolgirl From Hell

Poop?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #58
Super Moderator

I'm mean.

Spoiler:
Actually stomach contents (blech) because it's a weak base in an acidic environment. Now when you get to that kind of stuff, you'll be one up on everyone else.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #59
Schoolgirl From Hell

I was close.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #60
The Greater

What's this, a forensics quiz?