You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Stargate SG-1 cancelled! Noooooo...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Stargate SG-1 cancelled! Noooooo...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=16144

Oh well, when RDA left the show, I kind of knew that this would soon come, and it only took two seasons to kill the show.

SG-1 had great long ride of ten seasons, and I still have two left to see.

As the link says, SG: Atlantis will still continue it's journey and that's a good thing, I've started to like that show, but not even nearly as much as SG-1.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Retired Buccaneer

I'm not surprised. Frankly I was amazed it continued into Seasons 9 and 10. For my money they really should have ended it after Season 8. That season finale was pretty good, and the Goa'uld were finally being defeated at last, so the original premise of the series was being wrapped up. I didn't really care for the effort to prolong the show with new characters and new villains, especially with Richard Dean Anderson gone.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

They're looking for a new network. It is getting like Babylon 5 was after season 3.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
It is getting like Babylon 5 was after season 3.
Awesome, but with too many long, annoying speeches from Sheridan?

I think 10 Seasons is enough for Stargate. It got really stale a long, long time ago.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And there was me thinking that I'd trade every episode of Stargate ever for another series of Firefly .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Psychonaut

Yipee!!!

10 years was enough.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And there was me thinking that I'd trade every episode of Stargate ever for another series of Firefly .
Inara (Morena Baccarin) is going to be in a future episode. Firefly was the best season of any series I've seen, I'd like another season, I don't much care for the movie format for Firefly.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
The Reggienator

This thread calls for Mattsius' opinion about SG-1 cancellation.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Citizen of Bizarro World

I think there should be another spin-off show made to run alongside with Atlantis. My idea is Stargate: Tok'Ra! An SG team gets infected with an incurable virus, and agree to be implanted with symbionts so they could survive. They relocate to a Tok'Ra crystal base, and become the species' #1 line of defense against threats in the galaxy...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy
I think there should be another spin-off show made to run alongside with Atlantis. My idea is Stargate: Tok'Ra! An SG team gets infected with an incurable virus, and agree to be implanted with symbionts so they could survive. They relocate to a Tok'Ra crystal base, and become the species' #1 line of defense against threats in the galaxy...
Oh god no. I think the Tok'ra are boring and annoying. Atlantis is plenty enough Stargate for me.

Edit: Who removed the funny little circle from the A in the thread title?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
The Reggienator

Hmm, yeah why did someone remove the å? That IS in the title of show.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Oh god no. I think the Tok'ra are boring and annoying. Atlantis is plenty enough Stargate for me.
Here's my chance to elaborate on the concept! (Can you see I'm excited about this?!)

Think of the possibilities! One team member is possessed by an actual Goa'uld, who has a secret agenda! (The traitor's identity, and his/her plan is a slowly unraveling mystery).

The characters struggle to integrate their personal lives on Earth with their symbionts' thousand year old attachments. Sometimes they are also forced to make tough choices about allegiances, when the Tok'ra and the Tauri disagree.

The potential for drama is endless! We only need to see a resurgence of the Goa'uld for the show to have a central villain.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Hmm, yeah why did someone remove the å? That IS in the title of show.
In your jibber-jabber maybe, you kerazy Finn.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:01 AM   #14
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And in my jibber-jabber too .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Except that's no å - it's the Stargate symbol for earth.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
The Reggienator

It is Å when I say it is!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
It's Hard To Be Humble

Hmmn, wonder what Crichton and Aeryn will do for work next.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Except that's no å - it's the Stargate symbol for earth.
So its Stargearthte?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #19
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Karmillo - technically.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
This thread calls for Mattsius' opinion about SG-1 cancellation.
It sure does. Better late than ever, eh? The previous sentence was not referring to the series btw.

Anyway, as a hard core SG-1 fan I'm of course devastated by the news. Or I was at first at least. I'm hopeful and confident that it will continue in some way or the other though. The really ironic part is that this is the first year since Season Four that plans were already in place for another year. Before that the show lived one year at a time and the writers hence always had to make a possible final episode at the end of each season. The tenth season is not completed yet though, so in that sense it can still be fixed if need be. More than anything though I would like the show to get a decent ending. In my opinion the longest running sci-fi show ever deserves that.

It looks now like the future may hold a SG-1 feature film, TV movie, mini-series or even a season eleven on another network. It seems the SCI FI channels' contract with MGM prohibits an eleventh season on another US network though, so I guess that option is out of the question then. People are speculating that SG-1 might also become the first show ever to be offered exclusively online, iTunes being a possibility. Everything is still open it seems.

The SG-1 fans have of course also set up a Save Stargate SG-1 site.

Back when the eight season was airing I felt the same way as some of you seem to do here. The show was getting boring and stale and RDA just sending out the teams on their missions was just a pain at that point. It was hard to get used to a SG-1 totally without RDA in season nine, but after the initial episodes I started to like Mitchell since he resembles Jack in many ways, hence working well with Teal'c. The addition of Vala was one of the best things that has happened to the show in a long time IMHO. The chemistry between her and Daniel is great to watch and she gave him new life as a character.

The chemistry between Sam and McKay is also a feast for the eye, but since they are in separate shows they haven't been playing too much against each other.

As I said, back in season eight I probably would have canned the show would it have been up to me, but things have changed. Totally changed in fact. The new actors in SG-1 have done wonders to the show and the new enemy, the Ori, is the best enemy the show has ever produced IMO. The season nine ending was possibly the best season ending (as in cliffhanger) in the shows history.

Now in season ten there have been some more boring episodes as well, but still important ones to get more depth to the new characters. And, unlike with Atlantis, the writers are doing a good job with this I think. In fact I wouldn't shed a tear if Atlantis would be cancelled, that show doesn't seem to be going anywhere as far as character depth goes. I don't know if this is because of the writers or the actors, but I would guess both actually. The only character that really works in Atlantis is Rodney McKay.

As far as I'm concerned SG-1 could successfully continue for another 10 seasons would it only be up to the writers and not be a money issue.