You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Interested in buying a laptop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Interested in buying a laptop?

I'm trying to help my sister sell her laptop. I've sold things here before, so I figured i'd give it a shot.

IBM Thinkpad T40

1.3 GHz Pentium-M Centrino Processor (2.0 GHz equivalent)
Lithium Ion Battery
512 MB of Memory >> 2 USB Ports (v 2.0) 40 GB Hard Drive >> 14.1" TFT XGA Display 56 K Modem >> CDRW\DVD Combo Drive 32 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 >> 4.9 LBS total weight

It comes with Windows XP Pro installed with office (word, excel, blah blah)

The keyboard is missing a few buttons, like the esc and F2 button I think. A new one can be bought for like $20 if you want, but those two keys are still able to be used, you just have to push the little thing where the buttons used to be. This also doesn't come with any discs, but the XP pro product key is on the bottom, so if you can find a disc you can reinstall it legally with that keycode. It's about 3 years old but other than the keyboard, it's in pretty good shape. It even has an anti theft device on the lid that the police can track if it gets stolen.

She's asking $300. Post if interested. I don't have pictures yet, but I will soon. Here's a stock photo though:

Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Lithium Ion Battery

Is it the Sony battery Dell is blaming for all their recent hullaballoo?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Under pressure.

We used to have IBM thinkpads at the office, and they were great. Very small and light, yet robust.

Now we have DELL, and yeah: we're going to have Dell repair 400 of our Latitude D610 models. (And the number might be even higher, as we're still checking battery numbers, which is a tedious job.)

--Erwin
Old 08-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Bad command or file name

I personally have no need for it but that is a solid laptop at a descent price. Hell, the XP pro license alone is worth over $100 + more for office. The 1.3 Pentium M and 512mb of mem aren't exactly state of the art now-a-days but they will be more than sufficient for running XP and everyday applications. Also, those thinkpads are built like tanks and it very likely will have a respectable battery life (guessing 4hr+). Replacing that keyboard is pretty easy too. I wouldn't worry about the battery either. The recall currently only affects dell and judging from the specs, that laptop was manufactured before the bum batteries began to get around.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!

Last edited by bysmitty; 08-19-2006 at 03:09 PM.