You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Norway, 1 week, limited budget [and other travelling suggestions]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Plus I've been to India and I'm not looking forward to going again, for reasons I won't dwell on right now.
Ah,ok Which part did you visit ?The north? south? northeast?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:24 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciphi
Ah,ok Which part did you visit ?The north? south? northeast?
Mostly north, I think.
Benares made quite an (awful) impression on me, for example.

I heard southern India was much nicer to visit.

In any case, unless something goes wrong, I'm going to book a plane for Edimbourg (can't remember the english spelling), and rent a car for one week.

Fire away your suggestions, everyone!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #43
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Edinburgh?

Yes, the spelling makes no sense. But if you went to Ireland that would only be worse .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #44

Question: Will I need air-conditioning in the car? I'm inclined to say no, but...

How hot can it get in Scotland in August? And how cold?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #45
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Fire away your suggestions, everyone!
Of course the highlands since you want to see mountains.
I have been here We stayed five days (four nights). Not long, but still time both to see things and relax at pubs. We visited the island Arran, drove through the peninsula of Kintyre and stayed at a small fishing port called Tarbert. Then we went into the southern highlands and stayed at Lockearnhead where there were plenty of walking trails. I found the coastal areas just as beautiful as the mountains. I recommend it all!

Last edited by Jelena; 07-27-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #46
Roar?

What are midges, are they black flies? Little tiny swarms of biting awfulness? The black flies here can actually kill cattle (over time, they're not piranhas or anything) and up north they can be so bad that you have to wear netting to go anywhere near a forest. If the biting doesn't drive you away, breathing in hundreds of the little bastards definitely will.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #47
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Note to self-
Must not visit Northern Canada during summer.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #48
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Note to self-
Must not visit Northern Canada during summer.

Include the north of Sweden (Scandinavia) in that.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Mostly north, I think.
Benares made quite an (awful) impression on me, for example.

I heard southern India was much nicer to visit
I guess you've been visiting the wrong areas.Its difficult to say which part is better.It depends on what you want to see and do.In general the south of India is a bit cleaner and the people more polite.If you are interested in mountains,trekking and lakes, Ladakh is a must visit.

Last edited by sciphi; 07-29-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #50

So I'm leaving for Scotland at the end of next month. Car's rent, flight's booked.

Now where should I go? I've bought a tourist guide, but if anyone knows of places where they think I should go, I'm interested (previous suggestions having already been noted, of course).
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #51
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Lucien, Karmillo, SSH...he's talking to y'all.
Pity our Elton isn't around any more.

The "Giant's Causeway" looks like a must-see, but I have no idea which part of Scotland it's in.

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #52
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
So I'm leaving for Scotland at the end of next month. Car's rent, flight's booked.

Now where should I go? I've bought a tourist guide, but if anyone knows of places where they think I should go, I'm interested (previous suggestions having already been noted, of course).
Oh you lucky person! I love Scotland, and have a few suggestions.

If you enjoy peaceful green mountains, hill walking, and fresh highland air, head to the extreme Northwest to a weeee weeeee little village called Camas Luinie (sp?), which is near Plockton and Dornie, if I recall. It's also right near the bridge to Skye, if you feel like heading into the Hebrides. It's a very small village, but there is an excellent little hostel and a B&B, run by the nicest fellow in the universe. I spent a few days there all by myself one winter. Beautiful place for solitude and nature.

Another possibility is Knoydart. A few small boats go over the loch from Mallaig to Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula regularly with groceries and stuff for the villagers and you can get a ride. It's not actually an island, but you can only get there by boat, unless you want to hike for 20 miles or something. That too is peaceful and small.... Lots of wilderness and hiking...There's a nice pub that does all the classic pub fare, as well as inns and B&Bs. There's a rustic hostel there too.

If you like energetic places, then try Glasgow. I find Glasgow to be super friendly, fun, and bustling. The museums are all free too, which helps keep costs down. Edinburgh has lovely architecture, but so does Glasgow, just in a more Victorian way. The catholic cathedral is an interesting place to visit, as is the big dark graveyard up on the hill nearby, the one with the huuuuuge monuments.

Inverness presents lots of good drives out into the country. You should see Culloden Battlefield and Loch Ness itself. The Loch Ness exhibits are really cheesy and touristy though, so I'd avoid them unless you like kitsch.

In my opinion, Stirling is the best castle in Scotland (of course I haven't seen them all yet), and the countryside around it is very pretty. The cemetery is also very beautiful.

Jeepers...the North is gorgeous as well, I've only visted the Northern Islands of Shetland and Orkney in winter, so I can't say how they'd be in Summer, but they present a very different Scotland and they feel very Nordic...few trees, rock fences, sheep, mounds, runes, dark wide skies, and a unique dialect. Very worth going up there if you can find the time.

Where all are you planning on going so far? I'm pea green with envy.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #53

Well, I have the guide, but other than that, the planning hasn't begun. We'll probably decide this week-end. which is why I'm gathering information here .