Norway, 1 week, limited budget [and other travelling suggestions] - Page 2 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Norway, 1 week, limited budget [and other travelling suggestions]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
I didn't mean to deter you from going to Norway altogether.

If you can find a cheap flight from Bergen, instead of going to Oslo first, that will help out a great deal. For a week in Norway, I would expect to spend at least 2000 NOK on places to stay and food. If you can travel on the money left over (how much is the flight, and can you find out how much renting a car would be?), I say go for it.
Ok, let me think in euros...

Flight + car rental = 450 €
2000 NOK for stay and food = 250 €

That's already more than 600 €, and with all the extras...

The thing is that a friend of mine, who's travelling with us, has already made his expensive trip of the year, so if Norway turns out to be too expensive, then I'll just go there another time in the near future.

About other suggestions: Iceland might be cheaper, but going there from France is far more expensive.
Scotland looks nice... How about Ireland? How do they compare?

EDIT : What about other scandinavian countries? How do they compare with Norway in terms of landscapes? And what about Eastern Europe?

EDIT≤ : Is there any way to edit a thread's name? I'd like to add something to the effect of "[and other travelling suggestions]".

And of course, thanks for everybody who answered. You've all been helpful, as usual.

Last edited by Ninth; 07-23-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
Elegantly copy+pasted

Denmark is flat. Sweden has neither the mountains nor the fjord. Finland has lakes.

There are similarities, but the kind of landscape people go to Norway to see you won't find in the other Scandinavian countries.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
Denmark is flat. Sweden has neither the mountains nor the fjord. Finland has lakes.

There are similarities, but the kind of landscape people go to Norway to see you won't find in the other Scandinavian countries.
What I'm looking for, mostly, is the kind of landscapes that I couldn't see in France. Of course, mountains are a plus, as are lakes, or (even better) fjords .
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
What I'm looking for, mostly, is the kind of landscapes that I couldn't see in France. Of course, mountains are a plus, as are lakes, or (even better) fjords .
You should check out India It has everything you're looking for except fjords i guess..The only thing against it is the the budget might be astronomical and maybe the tropical temperatures in some parts.But its worth it.

Lou Holtz
Old 07-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciphi
You should check out India It has everything you're looking for except fjords i guess..The only thing against it is the the budget might be astronomical and maybe the tropical temperatures in some parts.But its worth it.
Well, the point is to go to a tempered country, for a limited budget, so...

Plus I've been to India and I'm not looking forward to going again, for reasons I won't dwell on right now.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:28 AM   #26
Lazy Bee

Norway has definitely the most dramatic landscape, no doubt. We've got mountains as well, but of a different kind than Norway. I don't recommend you to see them.
Stockholm, the south of Sweden and the west coast is really beautiful. (And not as expensive as Norway) But I guess you have similar places (small villages, cute cottages, fishing ports) in France.
I've posted a number of links and pictures of Stockholm in Wormises thread eariler this summer if you'd like to check it out.

I think Denmark is a great place to go to. Kopenhagen has such atmosphere. The west coast of the island Jylland has wonderful beaches and on the northenmost point in Skagen you can see two seas meet.

From Kopenhagen you can rent a car and drive over (there's also a train )the bridge to see some of Sweden as well.

The capital of Finland Helsinki is very beautiful. Except for that I've only seen the very north of Finland and I guess you're not going there anyway.

I've also visited Scotland and I'm absolutely in love with that part of the world.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #27
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Oops! Checking out what you actually said you were interested in maybe Denmark isn't a choice for you since it's flat and hasn't got many lakes.
This makes me convinced you should see Scotland. Here are two of my own pictures from my holiday there.
This is the village Lochranza on the island Arran.

The Glen Ogle Trail close to the village Lochearnhead in the southern highlands.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #28

After a bit of reasearch, I'm indeed inclined to go for Scotland.

Questions, though:
- it's supposed to be raining all the time there... is that true?
- how expensive is life in Scotland?
- I heard about, uh... small mosquitoes. How bad are they?

I might start a new thread if Lucien doesn't get his ass here soon.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #29
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:

Questions, though:
- I heard about, uh... small mosquitoes. How bad are they?
1) No.
2) About as expensive as life in the rest of the UK, if not cheaper. So you can get a full meal for £6-10 each (excluding drinks), for instance. No idea how much accommodation is, I'm afraid!
3) " Midges". You'll find them buzzing around in a lot of places, particularly if there's water nearby. They do bite, but they're annoying more than anything else. You can get midge repellant which works reasonably well.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #30
Psychonaut

You called.

1) It doesn't rain all the time. The last 2 weeks have been SUN SUN SUN

For Example here is a pic I took last week (South East Scotland).

2) Like Lena says probably equivalent to the rest of the UK. Meals £15 - £20, accomodation depends on area and type but probably £40 -£100 per night (58-150 Euro).

3) Midges can be annoying so wear bug repellant especially up north.

Have a search of http://www.visitscotland.com/ to give you an idea of what you are after.

Watch if you are planning on Edinburgh in August as the Festival is on and accomodation prices tend to rise.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #31
Dungeon Master

If you plan to sleep outdoors, especially near a body of water, then midges are less of an "annoyance", and more of a "plague". In towns, or during daytime, they are nothing to worry about, though.

Other than that, Scotland is awesome - the pictures people have been posting here aren't lying about the views. Edinburgh is pretty magical as well (though 90% of pubs and cafeterias seem to get closed at 5 PM. What's up with that? ). Go for it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #32
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
(though 90% of pubs and cafeterias seem to get closed at 5 PM. What's up with that? ). Go for it.

No they don't.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #33
Dungeon Master

I must have been visiting wrong parts of the city.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #34
Super Moderator

Either that or you accidentally got on the flight to Edinburgh, Indiana.

I need to go to bed.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #35
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Excellent choice!

Quote:
Questions, though:
My experience of the highlands as we were walking the trail was that it rained a little every ten minutes, the rest of the time the sun was shining and it was really nice. So it was like...oh, time to put the rainjacket on....maybe not.....oops time to put the rainjacket on.......nah, it stopped.....
Quote:
We stayed at B&Bs that we had booked through http://www.visitscotland.com/. All the places we stayed at were really nice. I checked out one of the places, they now charge you £26 /person/night. That's a very reasonable price in my opinion since the standars of the rooms are great, and the breakfasts are soooo gooood!

Ninth, you are not going to regret this holiday!

EDIT: If you worry about mosquitos you really should not visit Norway, Sweden or Finland.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
2) Like Lena says probably equivalent to the rest of the UK. Meals £15 - £20, accomodation depends on area and type but probably £40 -£100 per night (58-150 Euro).
That seems awfully expensive... 58€/person?

EDIT: By the way, for those in the know, is Scotland much nicer than Irland? 'cause Irland seems much cheaper (at least the plane is).
Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 AM   #37
Lazy Bee

Quote:
That seems awfully expensive... 58€/person?
If you check out the link you'll see there are B&Bs for £25-35 per person per night (36-51 Euros) all over Scotland.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
If you check out the link you'll see there are B&Bs for £25-35 per person per night (36-51 Euros) all over Scotland.
Even then: 50 x 8 = 400Ä. That's pretty darn expensive for one week, if you add to it plane+car and all the extras.

I want to go, though.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:47 AM   #39
Lazy Bee

Ninth
Here's a choice for you: You can sleep in a tent in my back yard. I'll serve you breakfast (I always wanted to open a B&B, but there isn't room enough). We've got plenty of lakes around.
j/k

Why don't you go to Scotland but make the trip shorter. You'll see and experience plenty on the budget you have in only four days for example.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Ninth
Here's a choice for you: You can sleep in a tent in my back yard. I'll serve you breakfast (I always wanted to open a B&B, but there isn't room enough). We've got plenty of lakes around.
j/k

Why don't you go to Scotland but make the trip shorter. You'll see and experience plenty on the budget you have in only four days for example.
We might.

But then, if Ireland is worth it, seeing as flying there is much cheaper, then it's probably a better idea... But then, Scotland appeals to me more than Ireland.

Anyone from Ireland, or having visited Ireland around here?