You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat It's frickin hot here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #41
Lovable rogue

Can I come and live in your ice house? It looks heavenly.

It's been unbearable here today, the thermometer hasn't read below 303K.

Spoiler:
All you people with your "Fahrenheit" and your "Celsius", Kelvins is the superior temperature scale!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #42
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Can I come and live in your ice house? It looks heavenly.
It does look cool, doesn't it!

But to be honest it's built during the wintertime. Not even the north of Sweden has ice and snow in the summer.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #43
Psychonaut

I think I saw James Bond's invisible Aston Martin in one of those pics.

I must be mad. I spent all day working in the garden in 30 c heat.

Scotland is going through a mini heatwave at the moment. Great I picked the right week to be off work.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #44
Super Moderator

Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #45
Live Slow Die Old

We have one of those ice hotels here too in the winter (in Quebec, that is). Not much help right now though.

I'm trying to decide if it's better to keep the doors and windows open in a hope to get some sort of breeze in here, or to leave everything shut with the fans on to try and keep out the 41'C air. I'm not quite sure if it works like that though. Man, I wish I could afford some AC.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:39 AM   #46
Easily amused

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if it's better to keep the doors and windows open in a hope to get some sort of breeze in here, or to leave everything shut with the fans on to try and keep out the 41'C air. I'm not quite sure if it works like that though. Man, I wish I could afford some AC.
Our game plan is a combination of both. Closed windows and blinds on the sunny side of the house during the day; at night reopened to let in some cooler air. Ceiling and regular fans in all the major rooms are on all the time.

A cold front went by last night sparking off some t. storms. Now we have a northern breeze making things so much more bearable.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #47
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
A cold front went by last night sparking off some t. storms. Now we have a northern breeze making things so much more bearable.
Ha! We must have had the same storms as you (there was pretty heavy thunder for at least an hour last night). I guess it was moving east. It's also relatively cool here today. I can actually think straight for the first time in about a week.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #48
Banned User

Ughhhhhhh this sucks somebody kill me. It's wicked hot here and I HATE IT! I have no AC, just a couple of fans that push warm air around.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #49
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Ughhhhhhh this sucks somebody kill me. It's wicked hot here and I HATE IT! I have no AC, just a couple of fans that push warm air around.
Here's a few tips, buddy:
1. If you've got double-hung windows, open the top half on the side of the house/room/building away from the prevailing wind. This will help draw the hot air near the ceiling out of there. If there's no wind, putting a fan in the upper half of one window blowing outwards will have much the same effect.
2. Strip down to your skivvies. A heat wave is no time for modesty, and exposed skin is much more efficient for evaporative cooling.
3. Drink ice water, not drinks. The sugar and caffeine in most drinks will build up in your system and you'll be wired and unable to sleep...and still hot. The combination of these conditions makes for a grumpy SakSquash.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #50
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Mmm, I'm on here because I can't sleep. So hot. Here's some reassuring news I found while scouring Ceefax for weather updates, though!

Yes! I'm not going to get flooded out when I least expect it!

In more relevant news, apparently this is likely to be the hottest day in the UK since records began.

:~
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #51
Bad Influence

How hot is that?

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #52
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Peanuts to you, I'm afraid - around the 100 degrees Fahrenheit mark. Still, it's not cool (urgh - I didn't even intend that) in a country entirely geared up for cold weather and rain.

Here are a few lollercoasting stories about how we can't cope with any adverse weather whatsoever. The roads are melting, it's too hot for air conditioning on trains and I think some of the railway tracks are buckling as well. It allegedly reached 47 degrees Celsius (116 Fahrenheit) on the London Underground on Monday.

Basically we're just incompetent in any weather other than "light drizzle, slightly cloudy" (witness the country grinding to a halt if a millimetre of snow falls in winter), but hey. It's our "thing"!

Last edited by Huz; 07-18-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #53
Psychonaut

The London area is supposed to be 36 c today.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #54
Super Moderator

There's a heat wave across the US as well. It's nasty everywhere. A lot of people in the states have AC but not everyone. For those without (esp. in the UK), I'm so sorry.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extr...heat_guide.asp

A cool bath will work wonders if you don't have AC.

Last edited by Melanie68; 07-18-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #55
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Peanuts to you, I'm afraid - around the 100 degrees Fahrenheit mark. Still, it's not cool (urgh - I didn't even intend that) in a country entirely geared up for cold weather and rain.

Here are a few lollercoasting stories about how we can't cope with any adverse weather whatsoever. The roads are melting, it's too hot for air conditioning on trains and I think some of the railway tracks are buckling as well. It allegedly reached 47 degrees Celsius (116 Fahrenheit) on the London Underground on Monday.

Basically we're just incompetent in any weather other than "light drizzle, slightly cloudy" (witness the country grinding to a halt if a millimetre of snow falls in winter), but hey. It's our "thing"!
100 degrees Fahrenheit is seriously hot no matter where you are, but especially so if you're not used to it or prepared for it. I have always lived in a place where that is not an unusual temperature during the summertime, so it doesn't affect me the way it does you and I'd never expect you to tolerate such temperatures as easily as I do.

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 07-19-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #56
Chris Barraclough

Ahhh, it's so nice and cool in the office today! I think I'll sleep here tonight.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #57
Lazy Bee

I just have to tell you:
I just got out from an hour in the sauna.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #58
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You're mad.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #59
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You're mad.
No I'm clean down to the pores, refreshed and relaxed.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #60
Bad Influence

No, she's brilliant! After an hour in the sauna, the outside temperature will feel pleasantly cool.
What interesting synchronicity...I was just telling a friend how much I could go for a good schvitz right now.

Share the love.

<3