You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat It's frickin hot here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #21
I've come for the fork!

Sage, long story. The short of it is my family moved down here, so after much deliberation I decided to pack up and come with 'em. I'm down here in Dothan. It's been a pretty serious culture shock.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
It's been Scorchio today. Went to the beach and frollicked in the rock pools catching fish and crabs to impress the nephews. (although they just screamed and ran away at the sandworm)

Of course we are talking about Scotland Scorchio (27 c) but thats bloody warm enough thank you very much.
80 degrees fahrenheit. That's actually a perfect hot temperature. You can have fun and enjoy the hot without being miserable.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
Live Slow Die Old

So I guess it's equally hot everywhere. The humidity's particularly disgusting here (it was gray and rainy all day yesterday and it still felt like I was in a fucking sauna).

I wonder if it really is just getting hotter and hotter or if we're simply too dumb to remember last year's weather or the year before. I have a sinking suspicion that every single year I open the front door at some point in July and say "this is absolutely disgusting! I'm moving to Vancouver. Or England. Or Sweden."
Old 07-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdriller
Sage, long story. The short of it is my family moved down here, so after much deliberation I decided to pack up and come with 'em. I'm down here in Dothan. It's been a pretty serious culture shock.
I don't doubt it! From what I've heard, Dothan is a bit more old-fashioned than Birmingham and considerably less cosmopolitan.
Welcome to Alabama! I hope the locals are treating you well down there.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #25
I've come for the fork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
I don't doubt it! From what I've heard, Dothan is a bit more old-fashioned than Birmingham and considerably less cosmopolitan.
Welcome to Alabama! I hope the locals are treating you well down there.
Considerable less cosmopolitan is probably putting it mildly. It's alright I suppose. It'll probably take me another 6 months to get fully used to it.
Funny you should mention the locals - I always heard the term 'southern hospitiality' and assumed the people down here'd be much more polite than they actually are. Granted, I look a little extreme by Alabama standards (I've got a bridge piercing and a very visible tattoo on the side of my neck.) , but still, I've had to deal with alot of general rudeness I wasn't expecting.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Considerable less cosmopolitan is probably putting it mildly. It's alright I suppose. It'll probably take me another 6 months to get fully used to it.
Funny you should mention the locals - I always heard the term 'southern hospitiality' and assumed the people down here'd be much more polite than they actually are. Granted, I look a little extreme by Alabama standards (I've got a bridge piercing and a very visible tattoo on the side of my neck.) , but still, I've had to deal with alot of general rudeness I wasn't expecting.
A bridge piercing? I'm impressed; I've heard those can be hard to heal and won't take on just everyone.
The rudeness might be a Dothanite defense mechanism. Dothan is the official stopping point for lots of people travelling to Florida for spring break, and rarely do drunken teenagers behave themselves when making a pit stop in a strange town. Considering your accent and appearance, the locals might just be assuming you're passing through and not a resident. Making one good friend down there to provide introductions will alleviate a lot of the attitude you've been catching.
A little schmoozing with the older folks never hurts, either. If you've been seen, you've been discussed, and giving people something nice to say while discussing you can make a world of difference.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #27
I've come for the fork!

They're impossible to heal. Heh, mine's been "healing" for over two years now. Or three. Something like that. Course, everytime it's close to being good and healed it gets 'bumped' which starts the whole process over again.
You're probably right though, it may just be a defense thing. It's not to say I haven't had good experiences with the people down here, just that there've been quite a few less. Given enough time it'll all balance out I'm sure.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #28
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Or Sweden.
Do think twice about that will you. Imagine October- March: grey, dull, cold, dark, rainy or lots of snow. And you're not guaranteed sun and nice weather in the summer unless you buy yourself a week abroad.

But we've got a pretty good heath care system.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 AM   #29
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I've got a bridge piercing
You're making me curious: What is a bridge piercing?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:21 AM   #30
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
You're making me curious: What is a bridge piercing?
Sounds painful.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #31
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Sounds painful.
Thanks Rob! Why didn't I google the word?

Sounds indeed painful.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #32
I've come for the fork!

Aw, it wasn't that bad... ok I'm lying. I almost cried when they were pulling the skin up with the forceps. The actual piercing itself I couldn't feel, but the forceps hurt.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #33
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Dunno about Alabama, but in Texas "southern hospitality" still holds up. Er, at least where I live IN Texas... Ha ha. But right now, as hot as it is, people might be a little pissed off.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy

I wonder if it really is just getting hotter and hotter or if we're simply too dumb to remember last year's weather or the year before. I have a sinking suspicion that every single year I open the front door at some point in July and say "this is absolutely disgusting! I'm moving to Vancouver. Or England. Or Sweden."
This hotter and hotter bit is definitely a reality in the continental United States and other places and not just a question of being too dumb to remember.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13860976/

Try to stay cool, everyone!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #35
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm always cool.

Sorry. Someone had to make that joke at some point...

Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Oh man, I jinxed it. It's back to being stupidly hot again. I saw a 37 on the weather map - bad luck Londoners!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #37
Chris Barraclough

I walked into our lounge this afternoon, which is an atticspace with large skylights, and instantly evaporated. One of my flatmates is off playing tennis, if I see him alive again I'll be impressed.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 07-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #38
Super Moderator

Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #39
The Thread™ will die.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #40
Lazy Bee

Do you need to cool down?
How about a hotel made of ice?
Each year the town of Jukkasjärvi in the very north of Sweden builds an ice hotell.

Everything is built of ice. You sleep on reindeer furs in comfy sleeping bags. The temperature is around -6 C/ 21 F. In the morning you are woken up with something hot to drink and you then start the day in the sauna!

Even the glasses you get the drinks in and the bar itself is made of ice.