You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Superman Returns in theaters now!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Superman Returns in theaters now!

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

Superman Returns has been finally released to the movie theaters in USA.
I still have to wait a month for the movie of the decade to come to Finland, but still people, this is the thread for this particular movie.

I have waited for the return of the Big blue since I was a little kid about 15 years ago, I still can't believe that he really is back, I'm so excited that I can't stop smiling!

Superman, the greatest comic book hero of alltime has returned.

Let the talking begin.

Superman is back
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
merely human

'Superman Returns' to Save Mankind From Its Sins | The New York Times review

Quote:
Every era gets the superhero it deserves, or at least the one filmmakers think we want. For [director Bryan] Singer that means a Superman who fights his foes in a scene that visually echoes the garden betrayal in "The Passion of the Christ" and even hangs in the air much as Jesus did on the cross. It's hard to see what the point is beyond the usual grandiosity that comes whenever B-movie material is pumped up with ambition and money. As he proved with his first two installments of "The X-Men" franchise, Mr. Singer likes to make important pop entertainments that trumpet their seriousness as loudly as they deploy their bangs. It's hard not to think that Superman isn't the only one here with a savior complex.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb.com
Movie Reviews: 'Superman Returns'

Just like in the comics and the movies, Superman is receiving much adulation while dodging Kryptonite as he faces movie critics today (Tuesday) in advance of midnight screenings of Superman Returns. The critics are about equally divided over whether Superman flies. "Man, oh Man of Steel, it's good to have you back," Jack Mathews fairly shouts in his review in the New York Daily News. William Arnold in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer describes the film as "immensely satisfying ... magnificently mounted." Claudia Puig in USA Today calls it "a rousing spectacle... an action-packed saga with exhilarating special effects and dazzling production design." To Terry Lawson in the Detroit Free Press, it's "an elegantly rendered, perfectly pitched homage to the golden era of comics." Lou Lumenick in the New York Post writes that with this sequel, "Bryan Singer's super, soulful and very expensive new resurrection of the venerable big-screen franchise ups the ante with must-see results." Amy Biancolli expresses thanks to the filmmakers for not trying to invest Superman with angst as the makers of Batman Begins did with their superhero. "because an angsty Superman is no Superman at all." Ty Burr in the Boston Globe also remarks that "this isn't a reinvention of a beloved franchise. It's a renewal." He concludes that the film is "a generally thrilling entertainment that's not quite the grand slam you want it to be." Similarly, Michael Phillips in the Chicago Tribune dishes out what he calls "qualified praise" to the film, but refers to the title character as "the savior from Krypton." But Manohla Dargis in the New York Times takes the criticism a step further, accusing director Bryan Singer of turning the superhero into a kind of Jesus. Referring to his earlier work on the X-Men franchise, Dargis remarks: "Mr. Singer likes to make important pop entertainments that trumpet their seriousness as loudly as they deploy their bangs. It's hard not to think that Superman isn't the only one here with a savior complex." Kenneth Turan in the Los Angeles Times makes a similar point: "This is a film that tries too hard and wants too much," he writes. And Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times simply dismisses it as "a glum, lackluster movie in which even the big effects sequences seem dutiful instead of exhilarating."
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

With all the negativity about this movie flying around, what I'm about to say may seem like agreeing with people. And I hate that. But I've gotta say, I've never understood the appeal of Superman. Spiderman?- sure. We can relate to him (him being an everyman), so we get these amazing powers and stories within a perspective we can accept. Batman?- maybe... We can at least sympathize with him. In theory. But Superman is perfect. And perfect is . Seriously, perfection is the most boring thing in the world. What's so super about this guy?

(Not knowing the answer to that question, the trailers failed to excite me even the tiniest bit.)
Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
is not wierd

I'll see it. Probably this weekend.

But I agree with Mori for once, Superman is one of my least favorite of the big superheroes. I always liked Batman and Spider-Man because thewere always so human (and Batman was just a human, anyways).
Old 06-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Superman is as vanilla as it gets. The only superhero worth shit is Batman. Superhero comics/movies/whathaveyou in general are boring, unimaginative and lame.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
merely human

I'd sooner (much sooner) f*** The Green Lantern than Superman, myself.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'd sooner (much sooner) f*** The Green Lantern than Superman, myself.
Which one?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
merely human

The one with the ring.

OMG!!!! < has an orgasm >
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Grah! Grah!

Isn't there like, a whole fucking corps, worth of ones with rings? Might want to narrow it down unless you're into interspecies, interplanetary orgies...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
merely human

Look at the pic I posted. I want HIM. The guy in the pic. Pay attention. I'm not some pimple faced comic book nerd, I go by sexiness factor, not whole fucking corps.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #12
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Look at the pic I posted. I want HIM. The guy in the pic. Pay attention. I'm not some pimple faced comic book nerd, I go by sexiness factor, not whole fucking corps.
He's dead...sorry.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #13

I'm yet another person who dislikes Superman. He's my least favorite, with Spider Man right after him.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
He's dead...sorry.
No he's not. He was never real and alive in the first place. He's a fictional comic book character, for chrissakes.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
The Punisher

Quote:
No he's not. He was never real and alive in the first place. He's a fictional comic book character, for chrissakes.
Then that just means your crazy...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #16
merely human

No more crazy than you geek guys who obsess over large breasted Dead or Alive girls.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
No more crazy than you geek guys who obsess over large breasted Dead or Alive girls.
I only obsess over Lara Croft's large breasts

Firefox rules
Old 06-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #18
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I only obsess over Lara Croft's large breasts
Yup, I only have eyes for her boobies...

Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
merely human

It looks like she stuffed a watermelon up there.

Meanwhile none of the guy video game heroes I've seen have nice ample baskets or hot asses. Isn't that right, Jatsie?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
He's dead...sorry.
Hal Jordan...dead? No way, he's back from the dead and better than ever: Green Lantern Rebirth!!!!!
Attached Images