You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default Atmosphere

Mama had a baby and his head popped off. We did all that we could to try and re-attach it. I couldn't do it so I picked it up and threw it off the building, just to see if all the children were quick enough to catch it.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
merely human

When I was kid I knew another kid who owned one of those Stretch Armstrong action figures, which were made of gel and you can pull the arms and legs as hard as you can. When a bunch of us were over at my house I borrowed Stretch Armstrong when his owner wasn't looking and ran into my sister's room and shut the door. I was curious to see if he had anything else other than his arms and legs that I could pull, so I yanked his panties off.

God, was I thoroughly disappointed that day.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

The wind blew hard across the beach, carrying with it the salty tang of the Atlantic mingled with the rich, slightly fetid smell of low tide. Loose grains of sand appeared to run before the wind's onslaught, forming rills and patterns like those found on the bed of a fast moving stream. Where the sand was blown into the fast-shrinking tidal pools, it floated briefly on the surface giving the pools the appearance of frosted glass at their edges.
Although the sun shone brightly from the cloudless sky above, the wind was cold and relentless. The few strollers on the beach were bundled against it, with only the smallest possible areas of skin exposed as they hurriedly completed their daily seaside constitutionals, bent and uncommunicative to any passerby they might meet.
In the lee of a sand dune hollowed out by the erosion of a recent spring tide, I sat protected from the wind in a small pocket of warm still air. I watched as the sand blew over my head to land at my feet and resume it's wind-driven voyage into the bay. I saw a few stray gulls hang motionless in the wind above me, their sharp eyes ever alert for a stranded fish or stray tidbit to nibble on, but even they couldn't stand the wind for long and soon landed on the hard sand to stand one-legged and rest for a while.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

And the winds cried out,

Zippity click.

"Let thy swords be dormant!"

Zippity click.

"How may the bird's wings fall..."

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

And the earth cried out,

Zippity click.

"Let thy birds live sadly!"

Zippity click.

"But never leave the heart..."

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

And the trees cried out,

Zippity clang?

"Let thy heart grow truly!"

Zippity- clang.

"And never rest the sword..."

Zippity... click.

Zippity click.

Zippity click.

Zippity click.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Emo PigeonĆ’ucker 360
Mama had a baby and his head popped off. We did all that we could to try and re-attach it. I couldn't do it so I picked it up and threw it off the building, just to see if all the children were quick enough to catch it.
atmosphere and brother ali are playing here in NZ next month.. cant wait
Old 06-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
The wind blew hard across the beach, carrying with it the salty tang of the Atlantic mingled with the rich, slightly fetid smell of low tide. Loose grains of sand appeared to run before the wind's onslaught, forming rills and patterns like those found on the bed of a fast moving stream. Where the sand was blown into the fast-shrinking tidal pools, it floated briefly on the surface giving the pools the appearance of frosted glass at their edges.
Although the sun shone brightly from the cloudless sky above, the wind was cold and relentless. The few strollers on the beach were bundled against it, with only the smallest possible areas of skin exposed as they hurriedly completed their daily seaside constitutionals, bent and uncommunicative to any passerby they might meet.
In the lee of a sand dune hollowed out by the erosion of a recent spring tide, I sat protected from the wind in a small pocket of warm still air. I watched as the sand blew over my head to land at my feet and resume it's wind-driven voyage into the bay. I saw a few stray gulls hang motionless in the wind above me, their sharp eyes ever alert for a stranded fish or stray tidbit to nibble on, but even they couldn't stand the wind for long and soon landed on the hard sand to stand one-legged and rest for a while.
I have seen that view so many times - not from the lee of a sand dune, since the beach I was on didn't have dunes, but from the lee of a seawall. The only one thing that was missing from my vision and not in yours was the stray dog, running gleefully, face to the wind, soaring in exuberance at the freedom he felt, never sensing the cold. He brought smiles to the faces of the passersby, if only briefly, before they continued on their way.

Please, please, my dear friend, Scott - please make time in your life to write. The world needs to know the beauty you see, and so eloquently describe. There are so few who possess such talent.

M
Old 06-27-2006, 03:43 AM   #7
Not like them!

Wait- is this about something in particular? I thought we were just supposed to write atmospheric nonsense.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Wait- is this about something in particular? I thought we were just supposed to write atmospheric nonsense.
Mory - do you not think that Scott created an 'atmosphere' worthy of note?

M
Old 06-27-2006, 03:57 AM   #9
Not like them!

Who's Scott again?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
hello

Quote:
Atosphere are a hip hop group, Slug the MC and Ant the DJ, they are excellent. What he originally posted are lyrics to a track of theirs...
Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #11
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Who's Scott again?
Thrift Store Scott became Sage recently.

M
Old 06-27-2006, 04:17 AM   #12
Not like them!

I was kidding. I just have a problem reading things with lots of little details. When I try reading his post, my brain shuts off.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #13
Magic Wand Waver

I understand - I'm that way with poetry - anything longer than a limerick, and it loses me. Scott's descriptions capture me, though, even though sometimes in a book, descriptions are boring. He wrote one once about a dream sequence that made you feel like you were standing beside him.

M
Old 06-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Chris Barraclough

Wasn't Atmosphere a Russ Abbott song? What a classic.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
Atosphere are a hip hop group, Slug the MC and Ant the DJ, they are excellent. What he originally posted are lyrics to a track of theirs...
In general, I have it bad for Anticon and their artists. Doseone is the shits as well.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Oops! Space Cadet Scott strikes again!

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #17
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Don't worry. I also enjoyed your 'atmosphere'!
You're truly gifted in many ways.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #18
Magic Wand Waver

Hey! glad to see you back as Kingz!

M
Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #19
Squeaky

Quote:
lol. Glad you posted it though - I thought it was great. A lot like my favourite author actually.

Say, you wouldn't happen to write novels under a nom de plume about small communities that live in the coastal regions of Australia in your spare time, would you?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #20
Tactlessly understated

Cause you know what they say about honey bears, when you shave off all their baby hairs?