You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Hot Tubs VS Pools for a Bachelor Pad

View Poll Results: For a Bachelor Pad Yard Atmosphere, I would prefer...
A pool and hot tub. 6 85.71%
Just a hot tub. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
OUATIJ Creator

Default Hot Tubs VS Pools for a Bachelor Pad

I'm getting a new house soon (closing in July), and I need to know what the hell to do with my yard. Originally I was set on the idea of getting a pool and hot tub in there, with some nice landscaping, decking, and a covered patio around the side of the house with a fan, fireplace, and TV. This is my new bachelor pad, after all. However, some people have been suggesting that maybe I should just go with a hot tub and not get the pool. It's a combination of factors for people that share that opinion.

1) It has been argued that it may be "cooler" for a bachelor pad to just have landscaping, decking, and a built in, raised hot tub. I don't quite understand this, since I don't think pools are "uncool".

2) More room.

My home is a townhome, patio home, garden home...whatever you want to call it. Zero lot line (which is what I demanded of my realtor, I just like the feel of it more than wide open spaces and generic backyards). So, the area that I'm fixing up isn't a "backyard" it's a courtyard at the front of the house. Visitors will need to go through a wrought iron gate and walk past my pool and hot tub (or just hot tub) to get to the front door of the house.

3) Expense.

Obviously it would be a lot cheaper to do just a hot tub. I'm not going to be in dire straits either way, but saving that money wouldn't be a bad thing considering how much I'm putting into this house in every other area...

Here are some pics:

Here you can see the gate that leads to the courtyard.

The courtyard as it looks now.

The view from the courtyard, just for fun. lol.

Anyway, how about some opinions on this? I really had my heart set on a pool and hot tub, but like I said...I'm hearing opinions that a hot tub alone would be preferable...
Old 06-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

To me gardens are about trees, shrubs and other plants, but I suspect that a bachelor pad wouldn't really work with a traditional garden...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
To me gardens are about trees, shrubs and other plants, but I suspect that a bachelor pad wouldn't really work with a traditional garden...
Frankly, I like the look of yard NOW, but yeah it doesn't have the bachelor pad feel. It's a shame though, really, to have to tear all of that up. That may be another benefit of getting just the hot tub, to preserve at least a decent amount of the landscaping. But I dunno...I think I would miss the pool... ARGH, I can't decide.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
Lazy Bee

First of all I'm not familiar with the expression: bachelor pad.
Second: That's one nice house you're getting!
Third: I and my hubby dream of a pool every summer, even start checking our finances and discuss where in our garden we would put it.
But we have a large garden. A small garden wouldn't benefit from a pool. Then again: Are you interested in gardening? To keep it nice it needs to be taken care of.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
First of all I'm not familiar with the expression: bachelor pad.
I found this definition on the internet:

A bachelor pad essentially means a house (pad) in which a bachelor or bachelors (single men) live.

Basically, I plan to entertain quite a bit and attract members of the fairer sex as often as possible.

Quote:
Second: That's one nice house you're getting!
Thanks! I really appreciate that. I honestly was heartbroken a few weeks ago when the house I wanted sold to someone else right under my nose. I had made an offer on it, but someone else made a better offer that SAME DAY and they ended up getting the contract on it. I thought I'd never find one as good. But somehow, I ended up finding this one. Thanks again.

Quote:
Third: I and my hubby dream of a pool every summer, even start checking our finances and discuss where in our garden we would put it.
But we have a large garden. A small garden wouldn't benefit from a pool. Then again: Are you interested in gardening? To keep it nice it needs to be taken care of.
I'm not into gardening at all actually.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Bachelor Pad: home for a single man who decorates as he want and puts in everything he wants..
Woohoo, I knew the explanation of a word..

I would have choosen only a pool, but that's me.. I feel that hot-tubs are so cliche, and reminds to much of the Sims.. (making that woohoo earlier a bit strange.. )

Oh, and BEAUTIFUL house!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I'm not into gardening at all actually.
Then a pool would be a good choice for your courtyard IMO.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Lovable rogue

Would you be getting a pool boy? If not you'd have to consider if you'd really be up for cleaning and maintaining the pool. It would take time out of your busy bachelor schedule.

Personally, I think with the hot weather, it's better to have a pool than a hot tub, you need somewhere to cool off. Plus a pool = a pool party when you're entertaining all your lady friends.

Also, IMO, a hot tub is just a glorified bath, it's better to have a place where you can actually swim.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Roar?

If you want a pool, get a pool. It's your house, who cares what anyone else thinks?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
If you want a pool, get a pool. It's your house, who cares what anyone else thinks?
Good point, and I'm pretty sure I'm still going with the pool AND hot tub, but since I intend to have guests often it's not a bad idea to hear other opinions.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
Party On Dudes

more is more, pool, and a hot tub for the lust of it. pure lust.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 06-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Are you sure there's room for a pool? A hot tub will take up at least as much space as the pad the table and chairs are on, plus you have to observe property line setbacks when excavating a pool.
Pools are great, but they require a lot of upkeep. What are the costs of pool services in your area?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #13
Life and times of...

Quote:

The view from the courtyard, just for fun. lol.
Well, since you already own a lake, maybe there's no need for a pool?

Dude, you're just showing off, aren't you? Yeah, you're just showing off No, no I'm kidding. But well, I can't seriously have a say into this. Do you like swimming, or just lying in water? 'Cause if you just like the latter, I don't see the reason for the pool. Then again, if you've got the money, as said, "more is more, pool, and a hot tub for the lust of it. pure lust."

Still, you could save some money I guess... I don't think this is a decision for us to make

To give useful pointers and tips though, sure

I bet I'm reeaally helpful here.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #14
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

There are really several possibilities - get a pool/hot tub combo, where the pool partly wraps around the hot tub and conserves ground space, and it enables you to go from one to the other, withiut leaving the water.

Or you could get a small, decorative pool that you and friends could swim in, (not if you want an Olympic size one however), that would add to the decor of your garden area.

You could put the hot tub on your tiled walking area on the left in that pic, and have room for a larger pool where the garden is.

You could put a hot tub in your bathroom, and extend your use of it to year-round, and have any sized pool you want outside.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #15
Chris Barraclough

Wow, that really is a nice house. I can't even afford a garage in London yet.
If it's hot most of the year then I'd def go for a pool, it'd be great for cooling off when it's hot and sticky out. Over here in the UK I'd go for a hot tub cos it's too cold most of the year for swimming. A hot tub with a beer cask next to it, heaven!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #16
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Are you sure there's room for a pool? A hot tub will take up at least as much space as the pad the table and chairs are on, plus you have to observe property line setbacks when excavating a pool.
Pools are great, but they require a lot of upkeep. What are the costs of pool services in your area?
Yeah there's a 6 foot easement that can't be dug into for the pool, but the yard is bigger than it looks. In a smaller yard with the very same layout and the same 6 foot easement (first house I really liked while looking for a new place), a guy designed on his computer a 22' x 11.5' pool for me that included a hot tub. As for pool service costs, I haven't really checked. Hope it's not insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Well, since you already own a lake, maybe there's no need for a pool?
That lake has a no swimming rule I think, ha ha. It's more of a large pond with fountains and stuff. It's easy on the eyes though, and I guess I'll jog around it sometimes, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Do you like swimming, or just lying in water?
I like swimming. And women love pool parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
There are really several possibilities - get a pool/hot tub combo, where the pool partly wraps around the hot tub and conserves ground space, and it enables you to go from one to the other, withiut leaving the water.
That's the one I'll probably go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
A hot tub with a beer cask next to it, heaven!
Ha ha. Awesome.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
merely human

Handsome house, Oncesie. Okay, I'll cut to the chase. In terms of impressing dates, hot tubs are corny and cliched, unless you're seeing a gold digger. Now, imagine going for a midnight swim with your date in your pool, with wine and nibbles at the poolside apres swim. Imagine knowing a little bit about gardening and telling her about how you care for the flowers and plants (you don't have to do all the gardening yourself, you can hire people to trim and maintain). That impresses many women far more than a predictable hot tub (unless, of course, it's the middle of winter and there's snow and you mix martinis and capriciously and wickedly tell her, "I'm going skinny dipping in the hot tub right now, and you may join me if you want").

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #18
Life and times of...

Quote:
I like swimming. And women love pool parties.
Haha You fox... Bet they do, huh? The first thing to consider when thinking about what to get, and the main reason to get whatever one gets. Sure, there might be other reasons, but that's really why anyone gets it, right? The rest is just good side-product
Old 06-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #19
Party On Dudes

swimming is also the best form of exercise. i remember this one dude who lives near me and he was a bloody midget, but because he put all into his swimming he would beat the crap out of multiple beer fiends for the local community on a regular basis. another great advantage.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
merely human

And there's nothing as hot as a swimmer's bod. Mmmph!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien