You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default Moving sucks

My own little rant about moving... Not very interesting, possibly, but there's an amusing photo at least.

I haven't had to move in 5 years now, and as I pack my stuff up it's amazing just how much crap I've accumulated over those 5 years. For example, sitting behind me are not one, not two, but THREE boxes of cabling. Some video, some audio, some data, some ?. And I haven't even packed up my computers, consoles, or TV yet. Where the hell did it all come from? Why do I keep it? Who knows, maybe someday I'll need to wire up a professional A/V installation using only materials in my bedroom.

Worse than that, I've taken the art/posters off my walls, and discovered that with bare walls my bedroom is amazingly lively, acoustically. I find myself sitting here typing and listening to the reverb from my keystrokes. The (temporary) solution really saddens me:

(Apologies for the quality, my camera is packed, so I took this with my phone)

Yes, a pop-out green screen is serving as acoustic padding for my room. What you can't see in that photo, though, is the other half of the room, which is 75% less barren, because it contains my desk and my aquarium (and don't think I'm not worried about moving *that*).

Fortunately, I have til the end of the month to finish moving everything, so it's not as bad as it could be, but it's always a wakeup call when you start to see your belongings in pile form, and start to have to ponder just how you will fit all of that in your car, and how many trips it will take.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Life and times of...

Oh, I thought the title meant actual moving, like walking...

Then I was surprised you hadn't moved in five years
Old 06-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Lazy Bee

Well now is the best chance you get to get rid of all those things you haven't touched during these last five years.

Good luck with your new home and I hope everything works out well, especially with the aquarium. Bring in all your friends and treat them with a dinner when the everything is moved!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Under pressure.

Aw, you're leaving the "cramped computer corner which isn't as cramped as it looks on the picture" behind?

--Erwin
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Psychonaut

Yuck you drink Dr Pepper.

That sucks.

Oh and yes moving is a pain. The amount of stuff I took out of my 1 bedroom flat that I had no idea where I got it from and why I wanted it was amazing.

Good luck with the fish.

Are you moving far?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Every time I've moved, I've had the most complaints about moving my books. I have many and they are very heavy. When I took the UHaul from Indiana to California, it was 700 lbs. overweight (and I think some of that was due to the books.)

I don't want to think about the next time I have to move.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Tell me about it tabsie. I have moved 5 times in the last 6 years (6 times if you consider my move to california), so I am no stranger to moving at all.

My moving locations have been: San Mateo, Hayward(east Bay), San Mateo, San Francisco (North), San Mateo. Now I still need to move south, back to San Mateo, west and back to San Mateo, and I would have covered a cross sign whose center is San Mateo.

Firefox rules
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Roar?

You have a twin bed?? I thought I was the only dork who still had a twin bed. Well, I got a full bed last week, but you know what I mean.

WARNING: LONG RANT AHEAD

I moved a week and a half ago. It was hell. You know how you always tell yourself that things won't be as bad as you imagine them? Well my move was 10 times worse than what I was imagining. I still haven't calmed down from my feelings of fury. The movers were absolutely horrible. First, they were two hours late, and I was the first move of the day. Three guys came, one did the moving while the other two sat in the truck and drank coffee. I called their headquarters to complain after complaints to the movers did nothing. The call resulted in one more mover actually working (the third stayed in the truck still, I don't even know why he chose moving people as a profession since he was winded after I took him through the house to show him things) and he was so sullen and so destructive that I tore a strip off of him, causing him to return to the truck to sulk. They arrived at the new apartment 30 min after we did in our car, and we left well after they had. They had the gall to try to charge me for the actual time that it took them to move me. I'm not paying an hourly rate for three men when only one did the work. I refused to pay anything, which resulted in a bullshit standoff and my homicidal rage rising. Finally their headquarters mediated and I paid a discounted rate (mainly just to get rid of them) but I'm working on a letter of complaint and my lawyer may get in touch with them as some of my furniture was damaged. I've used this moving company twice before and they were excellent, I don't know what happened!

Then I get in my apartment (highly upset, mind you) and discover that the apartment had not been cleaned of construction debris. Plus, the phone isn't working (it's included in the rent), the heat isn't working, the cable wasn't working (also included in the rent), the bell hasn't been set up, and there are no numbers on the apartment's door or a mailbox for me. Oh yeah, the landlord didn't think I'd want such nuisances as towel bars or a medicine cabinet in the bathroom so I've had to purchase and install all of that stuff myself. (The upside to this is that I've gone crazy installing this shit and the landlord can't really say boo since she's the lazy one who gave me the go ahead.) I've kept my receipts for everything so I can take it with me when I move again. I'm frugal and petty like that.

THEN my sofa and bed were delivered and my sofa was 2" too long to fit into the apartment (the hallway is very narrow and wind-y). It turns out the sofa is actually 84" and not 78" like advertised. Hissss! So I had no sofa for a week and I had to sit on my computer chair in my livingroom like a massive saddo.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
Banned User

Yeah, I just moved into my new place too. Moving DOES suck.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Bring in all your friends and treat them with a dinner when the everything is moved!
Am I invited?